UCLA

Updated January 24, 2015
3.9

UCLA Chancellor Gene D. Block
Gene D. Block

Pros
  • Work-life balance was great -- rarely had to stay long hours (in 23 reviews)

• Casual work environment with high expectations (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Income for graduate student can be unstable, depending on how well your PI manage to get funding (in 20 reviews)

• Budget cuts and draconian restructuring methods on the horizon are only making these problems worse (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Developing software for campus websites

I have been working at UCLA

Pros

Very flexible work hours, can participate in many programming projects depending on which department you specifically work for. Decent pay for student job (11$/hour) and opportunities to work closely with individual professors and staff who want IT services.

Cons

Some people can be more demanding to work with, but this is rarely any issue with this. I found very little to complain about (other than the lower pay).

Fantastic people, rewarding work

Former Employee - Programming Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Programming Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone in International Education (in my experience) is so friendly and welcoming and the Dashew Center team is no exception. Such a great group of people to spend time with in and out of work. Office intramural sports teams, a running lottery pool, monthly birthday potlucks, and people bringing in tasty things to the office all the time...plus everyone volunteers a various events for the international students, which livens up the office. Working with international students is so rewarding, and the Dashew Center has a great relationship with UCLA and the international student and scholar community there.

Cons

I worked in the programming department, which I have no complaints about. Also I was a student worker so I can't speak to the full-time salaries, although from what I heard they hovered around 40k a year, pretty modest. In the J-1 and F-1 visa departments I'm sure the work is more monotonous, as it's working with paperwork and bureaucracy. The programming department does all the fun events and activities with the international students.

UCLA is a great place to hook with

I have been working at UCLA

Pros

It is a great city to live in.

Cons

There are so many distractions.

Very Major Disappointment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The health plan was decent. Having UCLA on your resume is somewhat of a bonus. The employee discounts were kind of decent, but that's about it.

Cons

I worked for a UCLA off-campus division. The experience was horrible: I encountered a lot of politics and blatant racism. The management was incompetent, the facilities were inadequate, there was a lot of in-fighting amongst employees and favoritism for males with the "right" skin color (in fact, UCLA has a tendency to only re-hire white males who left the company). And I truly believe that they do not value their African-American employees. In fact, I believe they work against them. I understand that this is a major issue with black students. But it is also VERY prevalent for African-American UCLA employees. It's clearly abhorrent and pathetic. I also encourage minorities to NOT indicate their race on the online UCLA application. I truly believe this will work against them.

The Regents need to take a close look at ALL of UCLA divisions. The division I worked for has its headquarters on campus but also satellites across L.A. So because it's so spread out, middle managers can continue to practice unscrupulous acts. The Regents also need to place more attention on civil rights and examine how their African-American employees are treated.

Good place to learn

I have been working at UCLA

Pros

Interesting research opportunities. Nice work environment.

Cons

low pay, you're on your own as a researcher.

Graduate Student

Current Employee - GSR in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - GSR in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, high-level research, looks great on a resume.

Cons

Too much expected out graduate students.

Lighten up and try to see things from the other person's perspective.

A good but not great place to work.

I worked at UCLA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good job security, work/life balance and benefits in terms of insurance, vacation and retirement. There is plenty of room to grow personally and professionally within UC system.

Cons

Limited opportunities to enact meaningful changes in culture. Compensation is below average. Work is not as engaging or interesting as it could be.

Opportunistic environment for both IT and computer programming.

Current Employee - Support Technician in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Support Technician in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The many experienced programmers has created an extremely nourishing environment that encourages learning many aspects of programming. Aside from working IT and refining many of the "hands-on" skills, I was given programming projects to advance my skills.

Cons

As cliche as it sounds, I find no disadvantages to working for the UCLA School of Law IT. There has been absolutely nothing but benefits and positive learning.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Scholar in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Scholar in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great name for CV
    - Access to leaders in the field for collaborations and scientific meetings & talks
    - Postdoc union is present, adjusted CA pay scale was implemented
    - Desired to bridge basic and translational science, esp. in the field of Diabetes

Cons

- Red tape with staff parking
    - Working Visa Office was confused

- Better support for foreign postdocs
    - All financial advice and workshop were not geared towards postdocs

Awesome place to work with room for creativity and ECA, but poor remuneration.

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome vibe for work among very smart people and, depending on the PI, heaps of room for creativity. University is also very well equip for an all rounded life, both mentally and physically. A big advantage a very good health insurance scheme and university housing for fellows and their families.

Cons

Very bad remuneration...but this is not UCLA's fault, rather the NIH standard. Not much in the way of advice or assistance in deciding next stage of career.