UCLA

Updated November 22, 2014
3.9

UCLA Chancellor Gene D. Block
Gene D. Block

Pros
  • Work-life balance was great -- rarely had to stay long hours (in 21 reviews)

• Casual work environment with high expectations (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Income for graduate student can be unstable, depending on how well your PI manage to get funding (in 20 reviews)

• Budget cuts and draconian restructuring methods on the horizon are only making these problems worse (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place!

I have been working at UCLA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Awesome climate, seriously west-LA is the best
    -great collaborative environment!
    -Academia allows for a high volume of hard work and a great outlet for motivation and drive - but at the same time lets you keep a good work-life balance!
    -Surrounded by world-class co-workers!
    -Beautiful campus

Cons

-terrible traffic!
    -students. Ok I know its a university, but sometimes the kids can be annoying
    -some faculty are entitled and treat non-tenured staff and faculty with disdain.
    -racial bias - maybe its all academic environments, but I think that needs to change.

-spend more money on the lower ranks.
    -create programs to teach racial integration
    -remove tenure and force professors to continue working for their worth

Brilliant people and cutting edge technology available to graduate students and employees.

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Teaching Assistant salary is nothing special, but benefits are great and tuition cuts are incredible. Great facilities across campus, and research tools and library system is top notch.

Cons

Large institution with many adjunct faculty members coming in and out of teaching positions. Makes it hard to track down former professors or colleagues within the university.

Often departmental politics affect the courses offered to students, which can be frustrating to deal with both as a student and as a teaching assistant.

Excellent for new faculty

Current Employee - Assistant Professor
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor

I have been working at UCLA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent environment, open collaboration policy across campus. For assistant professor in particular lots of encouragement, support, and, above all great transparency in the advancement and tenure hurdle. Overall just great.

Cons

Perhaps some bureaucracy could be reduced, but it doesn't weigh to much on one's schedule. The teaching load is slightly higher than other comparable research institutions.

The teaching load and balance between amount of students and professors in a department should be given more attention.

Graduate Research Assistant

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules, vibrant working atmosphere. The health benefits are pretty good and dental is included.

Cons

The pay is rather low. For most RAs they work longer than the hours they get paid.

A great work environment, generally cordial, friendly, and excellent quality of research

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent research environment and caliber of scientists and doctors, a bit on the laid back side in terms of people interactions, ideal weather.

Cons

There are no cons any different from any other place and would be specific to a particular boss. Salaries are much lower than corporate as expected of academia.

T/A

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Environment, people, learning experience, professors are nice to deal with.

Cons

Low pay, no benefits, work isn't very challenging at all.

My postdoctoral experience at UCLA

Current Employee - Postgraduate Researcher in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Postgraduate Researcher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great weather, great university, best seminars. Housing is fantastic

Cons

none that I can think of

Excellent place to work, amazing colleagues

I have been working at UCLA full-time

Pros

Awesome benefits, full medical, dental, vision. Generous benefits package and retirement plan. Great work life balance

Cons

Bureaucracy is difficult to navigate, working for a large entity like the UC can be challenging as there are many policies in place that are nonsensical. Salaries are likely lower due to the fact that we are california state employees

UCLA is, for the most part, a great place to work.

Former Employee - Development Officer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Development Officer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

UCLA offered great benefits-medical, dental, retirement, health/wellness support, etc. Makes a real effort to create ways to balance work and life. Always something exciting going on that faculty and staff could participate in. Chancellor and Mrs. Block were very approachable, and down to earth, and care deeply for the campus community. I worked in Development in a campus unit, so reported to both the unit and the central external affairs office. External Affairs was a very supportive environment that offered frequent professional development opportunities to staff. Also very collaborative group of colleagues across campus, for the most part.

Cons

Speaking specifically about external affairs, a bit bureaucratic and often difficult to get things done. Definitely seemed to be campus favorites in terms of who got attention from the higher ups in external affairs. Some of the smaller units, or those that were perceived as not as prestigious or important, were often overlooked or brushed over. In all fairness, this is not unique to UCLA, but is this way at most institutions of higher education. Also, in External Affairs I did not receive one single performance evaluation from my supervisors in all the years I was there, even though I asked. Luckily I received them from the head of my academic unit.

EA could do a better job of listening to their development staff in the units when it comes to staffing their own departments, and knowing what is reasonable or not in terms of setting goals. Often these things were dictated for us by EA without good reason, and without consultation with either development staff in the unit or with the head of the academic unit.

Many resources but connections important

I have been working at UCLA

Pros

Great people, lots of talent, many resources

Cons

Lots of politics, relations with management goes a long way