UCLA

UCLA Reviews in West Los Angeles, CA

3.9

UCLA Chancellor Gene D. Block
Gene D. Block

Pros
  • Work-life balance was great -- rarely had to stay long hours (in 23 reviews)

• Casual work environment with high expectations (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Income for graduate student can be unstable, depending on how well your PI manage to get funding (in 20 reviews)

• Budget cuts and draconian restructuring methods on the horizon are only making these problems worse (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Perfect Place for a First Job!

Current Employee - Senior Supervisor in West Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Supervisor in West Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA

Pros

Awesome place to work! The managers are extremely nice & understanding, as the company is campus-based and comprised mostly of students. Extremely flexible schedules, good working principles emphasized, cashier and customer service training provided, and many opportunities for growth!

Cons

Starting wage is a bit low in comparison to other on-campus jobs, but that is compensated by the flexible hours & pleasant working environment. Some tasks are repetitive & can get boring (i.e. cashiering for hours, stocking, etc.).

Mark which department each employee works in on the employee nametags so that customers understand that an employee temporarily working in another department as extra manpower is simply from a different department and not just incompetent.

Exciting, frustrating, and conducive to only minimal growth

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA

Pros

beautiful campus, conveniently located, a relatively diverse demographic and excellent networking opportunities if one is both charismatic, ambitious and persistent. daily amusement as well.

Cons

i don't even no where to start! First, you must know that ucla is only conducive to minimal growth if you do not know the right people and have an extroverted enough personality to smile or joke your way into an array of professional opportunities. The second and only thing you need to know is that UCLA is more blue than it is gold even when the sun is shining---and it shines often.

value student employee professional development in an active way, encourage your employers to discontinue drawing distinctions between student workers and full time employees---it's divisive and therefore counterproductive (and a bit unfair too).

Engineering Intern in Facilities Management

Former Employee - Engineering Assistant in West Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Assistant in West Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA

Pros

I was working in an internship position that gave me a lot of flexibility and provided a great learning opportunity. My boss was very concerned with my education and would go to great lengths to help me in my understanding. He assigned me reasonable tasks and gave me a great deal of leeway to get them accomplished. There was a good level of interaction among employees and everyone was glad to help me when I needed clarification or more information. I was able to take time off when I needed to and I was relatively free in choosing my hours.

Cons

The pay at UCLA was not as great as working at other engineering internships as I have had in the past. A lot of the tasks that I was required to do were kind of repetitive, and some of the working conditions were rather extreme, it being often quite hot and noisy, and needing to work around steam piping a great deal of the time was rather dangerous, although proper safety precautions were taught and implemented. I did not see a great deal of opportunity for developing a career that would have been very fulfilling, it would have been tedious work that I did not find very stimulating.

I enjoyed working with the management, they were always helpful and would go out of their way for me. Communication was generally pretty easily accessible, but at times duties were a bit unclear. I enjoyed the freedom given to me to pursue my goals, and the oversight when I needed it was not overbearing.

Overall good place to work.

Former Employee - Events Services in West Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Events Services in West Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA

Pros

Its convenient if you live on campus cuz its so close by, and the wage is decent. I worked at ucla for a year and it was a great experience cuz i was able to get into some free screenings of movies that played on campus. The people I worked with were great and that was one of the best reasons I enjoyed my work experience at ucla. I would do it again and would recommend my friends to the job as well. I would have worked longer but at the time I quit i was going to graduate.

Cons

The wage could be better, and the stuff I did was sometimes easy, sometimes hard.

I would tell them to pay the employees more because students need the money.

Great place to work for a little while.

Former Employee - Front Desk Supervisor in West Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Supervisor in West Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA

Pros

collegiality, is a good place to work while going to school. You get to meet a lot of people who are coming into the gym to work out, and it is definitely a place to be seen on campus. The work is not really hard and you are able to do other things such as homework or studying whil eon the clock. Some of the management realizes taht this is just a student job, so they are not super serious or hard on you, while others have an unrealistic expectation of what employees should do. Overall, I would recommend working at the JWC.

Cons

not really a future working there

let the workers have more involvement in managament decisions

UCLA not a bad place to be.

Current Employee - Student Affairs Officer II in West Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Student Affairs Officer II in West Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA

Pros

Job security is one thing that you will always have with public sector work. There are a ton of vacation days that are paid in addition to personal and sick days. In many cases you hit the ceiling for your personal and sick days with normal usage.

Cons

Job security is a double-edged sword also means little room for advancement.

Push employees that are not productive instead of the employees who are.