UCLA Reviews

Reset
4.0
UCLA Chancellor Gene D. Block
Gene D. Block

Pros
  • Great compensation and work-life balance (in 23 reviews)

• Casual work environment with high expectations (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Graduate student culture is nonexistent (in 20 reviews)

• low salary with high cost in LA (in 9 reviews)

1. Engineering Intern in Facilities Management

Former Employee - Engineering Assistant in West Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Assistant in West Los Angeles, CA

Pros

I was working in an internship position that gave me a lot of flexibility and provided a great learning opportunity. My boss was very concerned with my education and would go to great lengths to help me in my understanding. He assigned me reasonable tasks and gave me a great deal of leeway to get them accomplished. There was a good level of interaction among employees and everyone was glad to help me when I needed clarification or more information. I was able to take time off when I needed to and I was relatively free in choosing my hours.

Cons

The pay at UCLA was not as great as working at other engineering internships as I have had in the past. A lot of the tasks that I was required to do were kind of repetitive, and some of the working conditions were rather extreme, it being often quite hot and noisy, and needing to work around steam piping a great deal of the time was rather dangerous, although proper safety precautions were taught and implemented. I did not see a great deal of opportunity for developing a career that would have been very fulfilling, it would have been tedious work that I did not find very stimulating.

Advice to Management

I enjoyed working with the management, they were always helpful and would go out of their way for me. Communication was generally pretty easily accessible, but at times duties were a bit unclear. I enjoyed the freedom given to me to pursue my goals, and the oversight when I needed it was not overbearing.

2. Overall good place to work.

Former Employee - Events Services in West Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Events Services in West Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Its convenient if you live on campus cuz its so close by, and the wage is decent. I worked at ucla for a year and it was a great experience cuz i was able to get into some free screenings of movies that played on campus. The people I worked with were great and that was one of the best reasons I enjoyed my work experience at ucla. I would do it again and would recommend my friends to the job as well. I would have worked longer but at the time I quit i was going to graduate.

Cons

The wage could be better, and the stuff I did was sometimes easy, sometimes hard.

Advice to Management

I would tell them to pay the employees more because students need the money.

RSS Feed </> Embed