UCSF Medical Center

Updated December 19, 2014
3.5

UCSF Medical Center CEO; CEO, UCSF Children's Hospital Mark R. Laret
Mark R. Laret

Pros
  • Super great benefits, and one of the few companies that still have pension plans (in 10 reviews)

• Excellent benefits and great community (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Physicians are interested in research and patient care is not their priority (in 6 reviews)

• If you live far from San Francisco, the commute is not so great (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Current Employee - Staff RN in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Staff RN in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UCSF Medical Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great reputable organization to work for.
    Excellent pay and benefits
    Great teamwork environment
    Lots of opportunities for growth

Cons

Patient floors tend to be chronically understaffed so nurses tend to float all over the place at any time during their shift which can be a hassle.

Commute is terrible if you don't live close to the city. 3 year wait list to obtain a parking permit. And expensive parking rates with or without a permit

Great people, very chaotic, crazy expensive city

I have been working at UCSF Medical Center

Pros

Smart colleagues, innovative institution, good clinical leadership in IT area, pension plan

Cons

No real project management or resource allocation means wildly unrealistic expectations for what a small group should accomplish on tight time frames ... Combined with nation's highest cost of living makes this a doubtful place to stay long-term ... There isn't even any hint of a discussion of work-life balance!

Project planning and minimal IT processes would help

Great hospital

I worked at UCSF Medical Center

Pros

Amazing medical staff. Truly care about patients. Awesome hospital. Excellent healthcare.

Cons

Don't respect patients time. Often late for scheduled appointments

Diet Clerk

Current Employee - Diet Clerk
    Current Employee - Diet Clerk

I have been working at UCSF Medical Center

Pros

Good pay. Coworkers can be friendly if you talk to them.

Cons

Inconvenient schedule if you don't live in san francisco. Boss makes you work several days in a row with no breaks.

Excellent place to work

I have been working at UCSF Medical Center part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I can not say enough about UCSF Medical Center as a place to work. Excellent benefits, excellent leaders, and a commitment to all employees to advance their careers in health care. Advancement is not handed to you on a silver platter, you must work for it. For those that do, the possibilities are endless. I'm shocked to read some of the reviews about the CEO. Mark Laret is a fantastic leader with an open door policy and a commitment to quality improvement as demonstrated by our generous Incentive Award Program based on goals set for the entire organization, departments and individuals.

Cons

The union environment can be frustrating in terms of raises and preventing management from firing people who do not work at the level they should be.

Analyst

I have been working at UCSF Medical Center

Pros

Intellectually Stimulating and good community

Cons

Low Salary and low morale boosting

Create better morale

Career IT professional

Current Employee - IT Manager in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UCSF Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good people, salary and good benefits

Cons

slow and very bureaucratic; non transparent

hire the best and help them grow

A truly amazing and dynamic place to work.

Former Employee - Administration in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Administration in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UCSF Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Enjoyed my time at UCSF Medical Center due to the talented and genuine people you work with throughout the organization. Every understands the mission and works for that mission of world class patent care.

Cons

Very difficult to get to work if you do not live in San Francisco. Incredible amount of work and red tape in processing change.

Keep supporting and keeping staff engaged because they are your greatest resource.

One star only for pay and benefits. The rest is well...

Former Employee - Medical Researcher in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Medical Researcher in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UCSF Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits
    Pay
    Near public transportation
    Organized
    Benefits start on day one

Cons

Oh let's see where do I start. These people used me up through a agency for several years and promised me open positions when they gave it to someone else. I worked hard and was reliable, apparently I didn't fit their criteria . I don't often pull out the race card ,but in this case after examining qualifications of people who they hired ithe seems to be clear as day that they don't practice their motto which is diversity. I did not see diversity in management and high salaries positions and by that I mean African american. A lot of Asian and Caucasian are ideal for the face UCSF. I have seen this with other people and spoke to other people who have experienced this type of injustice. We come to work on time and work hard only , promised a position. Then get replaced with individual who is hired directly who fits the face of UCSF.

Mark Laret is not a good CEO and is full of it. His speeches were as genuine as the front that he puts on. He doesn't respond to suggestions or follows up on complaints .The person who takes contracts back from people in the San francisco neighborhoods who are qualified and replaces them from contractors that are from out of state.

Good place to receive care but not good to work here as you will not get ahead if your African American or if you can play the token role. Don't believe me, there is a similar complaint here and stories of Lynches found at UCSF . In addition to UCLA gorilla comment made to an MD. UC is corrupted and all that is wrong will come to light.

Keep your word and mission statement. Keep it honest

Nice Place to Work Dependent on Placement

Former Employee - LVN in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - LVN in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UCSF Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, great benefits.

Cons

Very narrow job descriptions, there is opportunity for better compensation as most clinical jobs are union, but very little chance for advancement into new or different roles. Every department has a different personality, some are great with warm, easy going employees, others can be hostile with bitter employees. I found that among staff there was always a paranoia about losing their job, even among people who had worked with the company for many years.

More opportunities for growth within departments.

UCSF Medical Center Photos