UCSF Medical Center

UCSF Medical Center Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

UCSF Medical Center CEO; CEO, UCSF Children's Hospital Mark R. Laret

Mark R. Laret

Pros:
  • "Smart dedicated staff, good pay and benefits (compared to every other hospital), important work that makes a difference in people's lives"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Great benefits and educational environment"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Physicians are interested in research and patient care is not their priority"
    in 6 reviews
  • "If you live far from San Francisco, the commute is not so great"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Honored to work for UCSF as a resident chaplain intern for most of a year. Level 4 Medical Center and medical school.

Chalain Intern (Former Employee)
    South San Francisco, CA

ProsCutting edge medicine and absolutely first-rate staff and faculty. The Palliative Care Services and Spiritual Care Services departments here are among the very finest in the United States. The CPE program IS the best in the United States.

ConsParking is tough and it is cold up on "the hill."

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. This is a superb organization and I was honored to be part of it. It is so hard to balance all the disparate interests in an institution like this, but you manage to do it and achieve quality results. Thank you.

Middle Men Get Underappreciated

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

Prosrewarding position (helping people), decent benfits

Consupper management takes credit for the 'team effor' while the 'team' gets tossed around and innendated with extra tasks.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you have someone that does a really good job, stop and ask yourself if they're carrying anyone else as well. People get burnt out doing more than their share.

Bureaucratic poop show

Pro Fee Coder (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

Prosyou can leave at 5pm. no one really works, so you if you're a lazy SOB, this is a great place to work.

Consno one does anything....so the few people who do any work are treated like slaves.

Advice to Senior Managementmanagement WAS the problem. no one other than the awesome doctors/researchers want to be their. the ENTIRE support staff bemoans their lives and waits for their juicy retirement to vest.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Competitive salary for those working for the right manager or department. Otherwise, salary ranges vary greatly.

IT Manager (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsPension plan and competitive salary with good benefits.

ConsBureaucracy, politics, and constant budget issues. Work/life balance is suffers. IT managers routinely work greater than 50 hours per week with freqent on-call responsibilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe recent consolidation of IT is definitely helping and making the job easier. Prior, there was too much politics, silos, and bureaucracy to deal with.

nice place for a postdoc

ProsThere are so many brilliant people around.
    core facility are helpful

ConsIt is a bit far from Mission bay campus and therefore one may not be involved in events there

Great place to work

Prosgreat culture and work-life balance

ConsPace is slow. compensation could be better.

Probably the worst management I have ever experienced

ProsThe opportunity to with with smart people and interesting content outside of my department is a plus.
    Shuttles make the entire campus and medical center accessible.

ConsThere is no professional development. No promotion or opportunity for advancement. The manager in my department is very very difficult to work with across the board. Turnover is extremely high. I do not understand how a manager on this level can remain here unchecked. People in my department are absolutely miserable and the most talented are looking for opportunities elsewhere.

Technology is years behind.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at your upper and middle management, especially those with the most turnover. There is a reason talented people leave. Recruitment and retention is a cycle. You spend hundreds of thousand to recruit and train people, but what do you do to keep non- union employees?

Love the people, can't stand the inefficient, unsafe, and wasteful way this place is run

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsI love my co-workers. I really do love and appreciate the people I work with, everyone from my fellow RNs to the surgeons to the food service workers and transporters--they all make it a happy place for me to be. How many people get hugs and high-fives every single day?! Even if some angry patient barfs on me, I still couldn't have a bad day. I'm so lucky!

ConsChronic understaffing, executive administration that fails to recognize how they have actually incentivized departments to undermine the organization, nursing administration that is self-serving, too-large, and wasteful, lack of adequate policy and procedure undermining safe patient care, poor performing labor relations department that has led to staff distrust of the administration and strikes, lack of leadership development

Advice to Senior ManagementOverhaul administration and get skilled and authentic leaders. Inspire trust in employees, don't do things like create and try to enforce an attendance policy that directly conflicts with a bargaining agreement...that makes your employees believe that UCSF is run by liars.

Go back to having HR and labor relations as separate departments, it's not a good idea to have every little thing become a union issue, but because of this, it does. Send labor relations employees to the Harvard negotiation project or something like that, they get paid to sit around and contribute nothing but a sour expression...find some value for them to contribute if there is no conflict. As it is, if there is no conflict, they need to stir some conflict up to make their jobs appear to be necessary.

Awesome workplace

ProsUCSF has unique and diverse culture

ConsIt is very difficult to find street parking and parking are expensive

Family oriented and very competitive

Analyst (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsManagement is very supportive and genuinely interested in seeing you grow within the organization.

ConsBecause it is a "government" job, there is more bureaucracy than I am use to.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerfect. Keep nurturing your employees and they will know that you care.

Worked for UCSF Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UCSF Medical Center reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UCSF Medical Center CEO Mark R. Laret. All 77 reviews posted anonymously by UCSF Medical Center employees.