UCSF Medical Center

UCSF Medical Center Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

UCSF Medical Center CEO; CEO, UCSF Children's Hospital Mark R. Laret

Mark R. Laret

Pros
  • Smart dedicated staff, good pay and benefits (compared to every other hospital), important work that makes a difference in people's lives (in 5 reviews)

• Great benefits and educational environment (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Physicians are interested in research and patient care is not their priority (in 6 reviews)

• Unpredictable schedule, vacation scheduling, work life balance (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall, great place to work

Hospital Assistant III (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsUCSF Medical Center has a lot of perks.

ConsUnless you're an MD no subsidized/free parking.

Incredible experience!

Project Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSurrounded by the best of the best. Incredible opportunity for learning. The environment is very dynamic and stimulating.

ConsEmployee parking is very scarce. The location of UCSF medical center is well suited, however, for public transit

Great People, Bad Politics

Floating Administrative Assistant III, Step 4 5 (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFantastic coworkers - really worth getting to know and a pleasure to work with, some growth opportunities (depending on the department, decent salary, understanding of flexible schedules

ConsHorrible internal politics, it's a matter of who you know than what you know, poor communication, I've seen a couple of good managers forced to leave because of bad politics

Advice to Senior ManagementValue employees for what they know rather than pick your friends and tone down the departmental political coups!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The UCSF medical center is a leader in Biomedical research.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAt UCSF there are great opportunities for collaborations between PhD Scientists and MDs.

ConsThe commute from East Bay to the Parnassus campus can cause fatigue.

When things went bad with the economy Things went bad at UCSF.

Materials Management (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI was a good job in a great city with seemingly endless possibilities. It seemed to be a place where employees would be well taken care of despite the difficult times.

ConsThere was no warning when the lay offs came, no protection or net to protect those who lost their jobs all of a sudden.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to bring back those people whose jobs suddendly disappeared and were left without a net. At the very least offer some assistance in helping them find similar jobs in a similar situation.

Great benefits, good pay.

Pca (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat benefits and educational environment.

ConsHeavy work. Very busy all the time.

Same thing, different day

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIt is a laid back atmosphere filled with very nice people. Consistent amount of work. Great benefits, as well as job security.

ConsIf you like excitement and constant change, this isn't the place for you. Work is very similar and very repetitive.

It's a great company to work for!

ProsAbility to move up in the company

ConsThe sifts can be difficult and take some time to get used to

An intense environment where people are doing their best to help patients

ProsSmart dedicated staff, good pay and benefits (compared to every other hospital), important work that makes a difference in people's lives. This is the best place to go if you are ever really sick.

ConsWorkload is heavy and the unions threaten strikes. Should be more training for staff so that they can better develop their careers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure we come out of state budget cuts and healthcare reform strong, and invest more in developing staff

Very Top Heavy

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsOpportunity to be in an academic/medical environment committed to people.

ConsVery top heavy. Salaries and bonuses are out of sync. Some positions filled with people who do not necessarily have outside practical experience, promoted from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to turnover and complaints from staff. Some of your Directors are not the best leaders. We all deserve better.

Worked for UCSF Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!