UDEMY

Best company I have EVER worked for

Current Employee - Content in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Content in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UDEMY full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Management is genuinely invested and concerned with your career development
    - Office space is amazing
    - Culture continues to be a huge part of what makes Udemy such a great place to work
    - UNLIMITED TIME OFF - Not frowned upon if you take long vacations!

I have nothing but great things to say about my experience here, I love the fact that I am continually encouraged to swing for the fences #LearningNeverStops

Cons

Our brand is not very well recognized YET so be prepared to explain it is not "U 2 Me" but UDEMY :)
    People hoard the bananas as soon as Costco delivers them so you have to be quick!

Keep the perks coming! #Pooltable2015

Lots of hard work, but fun and rewarding

Current Employee - Controller in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Controller in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UDEMY full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Exciting company to worked for. The company is slowly changing the world and the way people can get education.
    Leadership team is focused and working toward the same goals. CEO is accessible and genuine.
    Lots of talented people from different part of the countries working together on the same projects.
    Great company culture. Fun and friendly co-workers.

Cons

Not much to say here. I enjoyed my time at the company. Fast growing company and space will run out soon.

Recognize when people have done a great job and compensate them fairly.
    Work/life balance is important.

Amazing people, company, and mission.

I have been working at UDEMY full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1. A+ culture.
    Udemy has been able to maintain high quality standards for everyone that comes through the door and it is apparently shown through the culture. I've never worked with such supportive, intelligent, and kind people that work hard and love to goof off at the same time.
    2. Challenging and fast-paced work environment.
    The team at Udemy is both technically + strategically skilled which is the perfect formula to get things done fast. It's been awesome to be encouraged to execute as quickly as possible to learn and then execute again.
    3. Working on a product that actually makes a difference.
    This is truly the first time I've worked somewhere where everyone cares about the mission of the company. It makes a world of a difference to work somewhere where everyone is on the same page. For the first time, coming to work doesn't feel like work because I get to come in to work on a product that makes people's lives better.

Cons

There really are no cons so far.

Strong leadership team that promotes an open and supportive environment. Keep it up!

The Most Challenging, Supportive and Inspiring Company

I have been working at UDEMY

Pros

A colleague once told me the best position in which to be is the one in which you're just uncomfortable enough that you're challenged every day, and need to work your butt off to succeed: and you can. The reason I feel that I am successful here is not only that I am challenged, but I am surrounded by colleagues who are willing to take the time to teach, support, and inspire me to not only do my work, but go above and beyond, think outside the box, and play a major role in help shaping this company. I am inspired not only by the work of the company itself, but also by the people in it.

Work-life balance is truly fantastic. Some companies claim to have it but don't in practice: Udemy truly values taking time when you need it. The perks are nice but totally unnecessary, and we truly live out our values. The culture is open, honest, and receptive.

Cons

Really, none. None. It's really been outstanding.

Best company I've ever worked for!

I have been working at UDEMY full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've had the chance to work for large traditional companies, large tech companies, and small startups - but have never been as happy as I am in my current job. There is a very unique sense of fulfillment that comes from working for a company with such a noble mission. First, I have the satisfaction of knowing that I'm investing my time and energy in something that's worth it. Second, online education is still being defined and it's exciting to be playing such an important role in it, literally shaping it alongside a few other players. Third, everyone at the company cares for the mission a whole lot, and the set of shared values is something I've never experienced before.

I am challenged in my job every day, am given the resources and support that I need but also tons of independence a room to do it my way. My boss is outstanding and so is the rest of the leadership team - I respect every one of them and trust their judgement, which is super important when working for a startup. Also, the company as a whole is very analytical which I also think is really important - decisions are driven by numbers.

And then there is the culture. This blurry undefined "culture" that everyone in the valley loves to talk about. You won't understand how unique Udemy's culture is until you've stepped into our office and talked to a few people. People are supportive, smart, fun, humble, down-to-earth and passionate. And I mean everyone, which is a pretty outstanding accomplishment given that we've hired about 40 people in the last 3 months. The culture is somewhat captured by: using memes every other email, office decoration contests, udemy maker club, eating lunch altogether, knowing everyone will go above and beyond to help, having the most junior and the most senior employee heard with the same respect, the get-shit-done award, having instructors drop by the office with cupcakes, etc.

JOIN THE TEAM!! It's the best decision I've made

Cons

We sometimes run out of rice cakes! Unacceptable ;)

Great mission, Great people, Great culture

I have been working at UDEMY full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've been working at Udemy less than a year but I hope to stay here for a very long time. The flexible work hours, respect for family needs, career advancement and genuinely awesome people are the biggest perks to working here. I've worked for quite a few startups in the bay area and I have honestly never worked anywhere with the potential for greatness that Udemy has.

I feel like I have the right balance between oversight of my work and freedom to make decisions on the fly - which is a really hard target.

Cons

Sometimes feel disconnected from the remote offices, but I've heard thats a big focus area this year so I'm not too worried about it.

Consider offering a dual track for developers - we shouldn't have to be managers to feel like we are making progress in our careers. Not all of us want to be, or frankly should be managers.

Keep up the company events as we grow. I feel like a I barely know anyone even since I started since we've grown so fast but the new people seem awesome.

Software Engineer

I have been working at UDEMY full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very fun company to work with. The engineering team as well as the rest of the team is very smart, funny, humble and open for change and opinion. Just a great bunch of guys and gals to work with.

There is also a lot of trust. No one to look over your shoulder. They trust you will get work done and there is also a lot of support to help get work done.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any. I guess if they had a teleporter so I don't have to bart in from the east bay, that would be great.

Great Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UDEMY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The team at Udemy is awesome! Hardworking, smart. down to earth people. One of the best parts of the day is eating lunch as a company. There are great opportunities and the team is very supportive of one another. I feel like my work is helping to achieve the common goals of the company.

Cons

must be comfortable with changing goals and fast paced work environment

Awesome company

I have been working at UDEMY full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1> The domain itself is getting larger and larger
    2> Smart, hard working and nice people across the board
    3> Building an online learning platform seems to be the right decision so far

Cons

This domain is not well defined yet and there are a few competitors. So if you can't embrace rapid changes, this is not the company for you.

Keep staying open-minded and hire top talent!

Rewarding experience at an online education rocket ship

I worked at UDEMY

Pros

When I first started working at Udemy, a lack of clearly defined structure or established processes presented a tremendous learning opportunity that rewarded initiative, but also created challenges around information sharing. Udemy’s senior management was always responsive to finding better ways of achieving optimal outcomes, and as the company grew, an effective structure developed along with it. What underscored my experience at Udemy was a wonderful sense of shared purpose – while there was occasionally constructive conflict around different approaches – the feeling of community allowed for collaboration that produced more informed decisions. This community included a wide range of backgrounds and cultures, providing new types of learning and personal development.
         As part of personal and professional development, there were regularly scheduled one-on-ones with team leaders, ensuring that there was always clear (if occasionally animated) communication between team members about performance and growth. Most importantly, I was able to gain responsibility when I demonstrated results – I did not feel locked into a particular task or role (many opportunities as Udemy was always in expansion mode).

Cons

If always thinking of ways to optimize results and find new growth opportunities is an issue…

A wonderful community that strongly believes in Udemy’s future and potential has grown around the company – no stronger testament to the success of management and commitment of the wider Udemy team.