UDEMY

Updated May 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Rewarding experience at an online education rocket ship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWhen I first started working at Udemy, a lack of clearly defined structure or established processes presented a tremendous learning opportunity that rewarded initiative, but also created challenges around information sharing. Udemy’s senior management was always responsive to finding better ways of achieving optimal outcomes, and as the company grew, an effective structure developed along with it. What underscored my experience at Udemy was a wonderful sense of shared purpose – while there was occasionally constructive conflict around different approaches – the feeling of community allowed for collaboration that produced more informed decisions. This community included a wide range of backgrounds and cultures, providing new types of learning and personal development.
         As part of personal and professional development, there were regularly scheduled one-on-ones with team leaders, ensuring that there was always clear (if occasionally animated) communication between team members about performance and growth. Most importantly, I was able to gain responsibility when I demonstrated results – I did not feel locked into a particular task or role (many opportunities as Udemy was always in expansion mode).

ConsIf always thinking of ways to optimize results and find new growth opportunities is an issue…

Advice to Senior ManagementA wonderful community that strongly believes in Udemy’s future and potential has grown around the company – no stronger testament to the success of management and commitment of the wider Udemy team.

Smart team ready to conquer online education

San Francisco, CA

ProsSmart team that moves fast and will challenge you to perform at your highest level. Udemy is in a huge growth market and positioned to be one of the winners of the online education/MOOC gold rush.

ConsHard-working, numbers-focused culture. Typical for a startup. You must be comfortable with long hours and ambiguity. Like at most startups, you'll need to forge your own path.

Smartest and most driven team I have ever worked with. Learned everything I'd ever need to run a successful startup.

Director of Content (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsIn addition to helping millions of students learn and thousands of experts earn money teaching, Udemy has a tremendous core team who understands how to grow the business by employing a lean startup mentality across the entire company. Everyone at the company owns their own metrics and are given the support they need to succeed. And when they hit milestones they go to shabu-shabu and karaoke.

ConsThis is only a con to people who don't like to work hard. If you don't wanna work hard, no need to apply.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay humble and remember when it was 5 people in a room.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great People, Fulfilling Work

Business Development (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

Pros-Awesome team. Not only will you learn a lot from everyone but they'll all super fun to hang out with. A core value for us was Hangoutability. Everyone from Executive Leadership to Summer Interns are easy to talk to and eager to help.
    -Great learning environment. Not only do you have access to all the education you ever need but it's a great place to learn about working in tech startups and how to grow businesses in general.
    -Challenging work. If you like a challenge then it's a great place to be. You'll have something(s) that is really amazing to put on the resume when it's all said and done.
    -Massive growth potential. Always growing and never slowing down. Jump on the rocket ship while you can.

ConsSometimes they ran out of sliced turkey in the fridge.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep crushing it!

Awesome

Teacher (Current Employee)
    Remote, OR

ProsTeach from home
    Pay depending on who signs up

ConsNothing really the company is great

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

An incredible place to learn and grow...incredibly quickly.

San Francisco, CA

ProsUdemy moves at a blinding pace, which creates an environment where the entire team is stretched, challenged and constantly growing. If you thrive under a fast-paced environment and are looking to be surrounded by humble, smart people, then Udemy's a great place to be.

ConsComfort with controlled chaos is essential, as it is at any startup. You'll need to be equipped to deliver, iterate and evolve rapidly to succeed.

Fast-paced startup culture. Not much room for growth.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat work environment. People are friendly, smart, and considerate. It's easy to get excited about work because the mission is so compelling.

ConsA lot of churn amongst younger employees.
    You're limited in terms of your career growth. You get stuck doing the same thing and don't always get the opportunity to learn new things and take on new projects.
    The business potential of the marketplace is suspect. Most courses don't sell well and leaves a lot of instructors feeling short-changed.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp employees grow their careers and not just work on the same projects in a rote manner.

Smart/friendly people, lots of opportunities for growth

ProsPeople here are smart, ambitious, but at the same time, friendly. A lot of opportunities to learn and grow.

ConsNone really. People work hard and a lot of hours are put in, so that may be something to consider.

Fast paced startup, uncertain value in platform

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsClassic startup environment. Fast paced. Everyone is passionate about their work and nice to each other.

ConsStill not very well known compared to other online MOOC's. Also, majority of classes do not make money on the marketplace and that made it hard to see value in platform/company mission. Also, large divide between American/foreign employees when it comes to collaboration of projects. Many people I know prefer Coursera classes and I personally have not found value in a Udemy class.

Advice to Senior ManagementChurn and burn of younger employees is not good in developing new talent or having satisfied new workers.

No complains at all so far.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsFlexible work hours, ability to work on what you love.

ConsYou need to code as fast as you can which diminishes code quality.

Worked for UDEMY? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UDEMY reviews and ratings. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by UDEMY employees.