UDR

UDR Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

UDR President & CEO Thomas W. Toomey

Thomas W. Toomey

Pros
  • Good benefits that are in line with the market(in 8 reviews)

• The people below upper management are easy to work with(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Companies like these REIT's deserve their workforce to go union to kill the upper management greed(in 10 reviews)

• I have no idea who anyone is in senior management other than who I had to send emails too or what I found out through my own online research(in 3 reviews)

Assistant Community Director

Assistant Community Director (Current Employee)

Pros-Hard work and initiative is recognized and pays off
    -Growth potential is massive
    - Company provides clear goals/initiatives for employees
    -Wonderful office environment
    -Multiple opportunities to further knowledge in the industry through training classes offered.

ConsStrict policies, so it's sometimes hard to deliver information to clients. But it's easy to respect strict policies when they are fair and consistent which they are.

Solid company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood balance of work and life.

ConsCorporate vision not clearly communicated to all staff and the atmosphere is not as collaborative between field operations and corporate operations on staff levels below vice presidents.

Good benefits but otherwise not a great experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits that are in line with the market

ConsCompetitive, political environment with high turnover

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall great company

ProsGreat benefits, clear goals, consistent measurement of goals, and fair acknowledgement of those exceeding expectations. Friendly, competitive, hard-working environment, and very rewarding. Employee opinion Is valued and it seems there is a true intention to balance driving results for stockholders with taking care of the customer and responding to needs of employees.

ConsIt can be challenging at times to keep up

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to hear and support employees on site, incorporate their ideas, and maintain transparency. Continue doing what you say you are going to do. It's great.

Want to really improve bottomline for investors? Then employee retention should be top priority

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsNice benefits, work life balance, decent employee discounts. Every blue moon you get free lunch at work sometimes you can find snacks. Training courses are easily accessible. Pet friendly communities
    Nice buildings and locations

ConsTrust is a foreign word at this company. The atmosphere here is similar to Game of Thrones. It is a revolving door. Asking for a raise is frowned upon despite unrealistic and demanding expectations. Job expectations increase 3 fold but no salary increase. The front line employees are the individuals who have direct access to prospective residents and current residents rather than capitalizing on that competitive advantage, the company's senior management team solely focuses on quarterly earnings. When a prospect comes for a tour and the leasing consultant can't take them on tour because its 1 person working in a 400 unit property that is not something the prospect overlooks.Lack of adequate staff and compensation trickles over to customer satisfaction. Improve renewal rate and occupancy numbers? Improve the way frontline employees are recognized and compensated.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward property managers who have found ways to increase employee engagement and reduce turnover.

Management disconnect.

Marketing Associate (Current Employee)

ProsThere is a lot of training that will be useful throughout your career. They do not like overtime, so that helped out with the balance of work and home life.

ConsThe training they provided was great, except when you tried to implement the standards (that was clearly spelled out for you) at your community you couldn't, because that would not be the way the community Manager, at that time, would run things

I worked for UDR for a little over a year. During this time I saw a huge turnover at management level. 3 District Managers, 4 Community Directors, 3 Assistant Community Directors, and 4 Maintenance Supervisors. With that high of a turnover we were never fully staffed. Managers were absent a lot. Days off, Vacation, Training, & waiting for a new manager; this left a normally 4 person office with 1 entry level professional 80% of the time. I alone did most of the day to day operations the majority of my time with UDR.

At the community level, daily operations was a cover up. Just like putting on band aid, nobody will really notice, right? With a very small budget for problems, they would just patch the problem. Resident turn over was also very high and they were not happy.

There is a obvious disconnect between Management and entry level professionals. Communication between mid level management and entry level professionals was nonexistent. Your input is not valued unless your in management.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend time at your properties. Talk to ALL of your staff (not just Mid level management) and your clients (the residents) about the day to day operations, then you will get a better picture of what is really going on at the community level. Do not just take the word of your Community directors and paper reports (that can easily be manipulated) on whats happening to your properties.

Selfish and Demoralizing Company

Maintenance Tech (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsTheir checks never bounced, and it's a job. The base salary was reasonable. The location of the property had nice surroundings and was convenient. It was such a horrible company to work for that it gave me a new found appreciation for a good company and I practically sing and skip to my new job.

ConsManagement is ineffective, they have no problem exploiting their tenants and employees. They have unreasonable expectations of their employees with alotted time to finish jobs, clocking in and out for 10 minute breaks (and if you forget to clock back in they will threaten to dock you). I was expected to be on call evenings and weekends WITHOUT compensation unless you actually GO to a call. But, then are expected to answer the on call phone at 3 am and stick close to home even on holidays WITHOUT extra compensation, again, unless you go to a call. That made it difficult to make plans to do anything in case you get a call. They get all that for FREE. That kind of interference without extra compensation is only the tip of the iceberg. Profit sharing was a decent perk in the beginning, but as soon as new management took over I never saw another profit sharing check.. ever.

This company sucks every drop of life they can from you. I escaped. I am not exaggerating my experience. It really is completely the worst company I have ever worked for in my life.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees more. How can you expect a good employee to stick around if you aren't offering reasonable, fair working conditions? Having someone that builds their life and sticks with your company should be a priority. You are limiting your abilities to be a successful company (outside of just the profit margin) otherwise. A bright spark, talented, loyal employee will know rather quickly his/her worth and leave. There is more to running a company than the bottom line. Invest in people. It's not just management, its senior management, etc.. this selfish vibe is pretty rampant from every person I ever encountered at every management level. Life is too short to treat people so badly.

UDR Inc

Locations
    Working Hours

ConsUpper Management
    Fairness in salary
    Fail to capitalize on employee assets

Nice to work for

Maintenance Tech (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsEasy to get along with everyone on staff. No micromanaging. Great environment.

ConsI have over twenty years in the field, but my pay wouldn't let you know that. Upon leaving they attempted to meet requirements, but a little too late.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter competitive compensation

Really not enjoying the experience - have been totally exposed to corporate

ProsNice pay, good benefits, lots of properties that could create opportunity for growth, if in right group district opportunity for growth

ConsDishonest, doesn't appear to care about employees, loyalty to company doesn't bring loyalty to employee, no consistency in policies, dishonesty overall

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent, appreciate your employees that work hard for you, get more involved in on site processes, allow open communication between sites and corporate upper management

Worked for UDR? Contribute to the Community!