UDR Reviews

78 reviews filtered by
2.5
UDR President & CEO Thomas W. Toomey
Thomas W. Toomey

Pros
  • Good benefits that are in line with the market (in 8 reviews)

• The people below upper management are easy to work with (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Companies like these REIT's deserve their workforce to go union to kill the upper management greed (in 10 reviews)

• Commission structure, work/life balance, weekends are a must (in 3 reviews)

1. Overall good company and great co-workers.

Current Employee - Community Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Community Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at UDR full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to make extra money via commissions and promotions come from within a lot of the time.

Cons

It's a business so I understand the business side of certain decisions but I feel the residents are not always taken into consideration.

2. Love this company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at UDR full-time

Pros

Flexibility, Co-Workers, Paid Time Off

Cons

I can't think of any

3. The almighty dollar is king!

Former Employee - Corporate Function
    Former Employee - Corporate Function

I worked at UDR full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, some good people

Cons

No training opportunities, very micro-managed, little bonus opportunity, executives only thinking about themselves.

Let your people grow and make suggestions to improve culture. Get rid of some of those managers that rule with an iron fist. Recognize those that perform and provide promotion opportunities.

5. Great place to work

I worked at UDR

Pros

Nice people, good benefits (including the ability to stay at their upscale properties across the country). I worked there on a contract basis, but was treated like one of the team and would have loved to stay on if the position had continued. They seem to be growing so I'm keeping my eye on them for the future!

Cons

A lot of people work with headphones, so don't expect a lot of chit chat. However, when they have down time they are very caring and enjoy getting together for lunch, etc.

6. Solid Company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at UDR full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Promising technology, good vision for future expansion, strong product, strong market presence.

Cons

Management more connected to field operations than corporate operations. Many times corporate support staff is left out of the loop, without proper tools, and not much incentive. High turnover at corporate. If you are looking for growth in your career, you will only find this if you work in Pricing, Acquisitions or HR. Accounting, Legal and other support teams generally left with large work loads, little technology/tools/support, because the bulk of the company's operating dollars and new initiatives is focused in the field.

Keep in mind that corporate SUPPORTS the field operations and there has to be some investment into the tools that corporate needs to utilize in non-revenue generating departments such as accounting, legal and risk. Each of these areas, if left unsupported, become huge liabilities. That's what happened to the TAX department a while ago.

7. Managers steer clear of this whole company

Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UDR full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have nothing good to say about this company

Cons

Greedy liars, unethical business practices

Skip this company all together. My experience was horrible! It makes me sick to think of how I was treated. They tried to make me over charge for move outs: charging for paint and not painting unit telling you at the beginning of the month how much money you need to charge for any move outs (one month I was told I need $7000 in charges and there were only 3 move outs scheduled). We were expected to work overtime often, but manager refused to pay the OT. If you go to HR, you are considered a trouble maker. You have no voice, they are unorganized, my manager was a true lier.

Even if you have emails & texts proving the property manager is cheating residents, making bad decisions and not knowing what he is doing you will be framed for their mistakes. If you go to a property where manager and tech are in a relationship you're really in for a bad experience. I proved my tech was cheating on time cards, and falsifying documents to win the ridiculous bonus they handed out for work orders being done. When this was brought to PMs attention, I was told I was targeting my tech and then later I was written up for not completing the items the tech had falsely claimed were complete. Stay clear of this company!

Unorganized and Ineffective

Current Employee - Community Director in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Community Director in Tampa, FL

I have been working at UDR full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, beautiful properties, and utilizes cutting edge technology for the Property Management Field.

Cons

UDR does not handle HR issues in the manner that they should. Instead of taking complaints seriously when major issues with upper management are brought to light, employees are made to feel as though they are crazy. Many quality associates have left due to the fact that their concerns get tossed aside as though their legitimate complaints to not matter.

When issues are presented to upper management and HR, take them seriously.

Not bad but not great

Former Employee - Leasing Marketing Associate in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Leasing Marketing Associate in Tampa, FL

I worked at UDR full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As with any leasing job, you have the opportunity to add to your pay check with leases/renewals. I worked at properties in two different states, and they are all run the same....which is nice. I like when the company is all on the same page.

Cons

Dealing with the angry residents that are understandably upset about their rising rental amounts. Almost impossible to move up. The training was almost nothing. The employees are all so unhappy. You are of course working at least every other weekend.

10. Take the time and find a company that values the time and opinions of employees.

I have been working at UDR

Pros

The connections that you make with residents are priceless. At the end of the day the residents are the reason your there, however this company does not get it.

Cons

My entire work experience has been an unpleasant one. The management at my location talked down about all other employes almost daily, calling them dumb, and basically incompetent of doing anything which in turn brought the moral down. The condition of the homes are not up to par, and it seems as if it's not a priority. I was told on more then one occasion to just lie to the residents, rather then the issues being addressed. In addition to that, I was told I would not be paid out for 5 renewals and 1 lease totaling $475.00.

Have training in place for employees, especially those in management.

11. comfortable for underachievers

I have been working at UDR

Pros

relatively stable and secure job security

Cons

Not much room for growth