UHC Reviews

Irene M. Thompson

1. Great place to work

Former Employee - Professional Contributor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Professional Contributor in Chicago, IL

I worked at UHC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people, mission-driven work, excellent benefits, very competitive pay, bonus for all-staff, development opportunities, opportunities to be creative and do great work in service of the membership

Cons

Meetings after the meetings, too many leaders (VP) trying to make decisions as a team

2. Good benefits; flexible schedule

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at UHC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits lots of flexibility coworkers are supportive. 5 weeks vacation off the bat. Lots of contact with hospitals nationwide.

Cons

No room for growth; minimal career track. Many staff have salaries that are red-lined. Need more room for staff to grow.

Advice to Management

Need to have a more robust career matrix for employees

3. MA

I have been working at UHC

Pros

Opportunity, teammates, location, director is great,

Cons

SMA as a whole. Mgmt is not trained to deal with employees.

Advice to Management

Allow people to transfer

5. Outstanding company with outstanding benefits. The people are great.

I have been working at UHC

Pros

People, life-work balance and benefits.

Cons

In the city of Chicago if you do not want to travel.

Talented Staff, Exciting Work, Uncertain Future

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at UHC full-time

Pros

UHC has been fortunate to recruit and retain an outstanding team. There is a lot of talent throughout the company and almost everyone is a pleasure to work with. The work environment includes modern office space and technology; most staff take advantage of the ability to work from home a couple days a week and we're able to do so without sacrificing productivity. Current benefits, especially retirement savings and PTO, are very favorable.

Cons

The company began a reorganization initiative in mid-2013 that included several waves of changes and is/was still underway in early 2015--senior leadership appeared to be either indecisive or unwilling to prioritize the completion of this work. It lingered. Then it was announced that the company was "merging" with a much larger, for-profit company (VHA). So the reshuffling of staff will likely continue throughout 2015 with many good people on edge at the prospect of layoffs and some already choosing to leave. For those that remain with the new company, it is unclear at this point what the organization and leadership structure will be other than that the VHA CEO will be in charge. Benefits also seem likely to take a hit.

Beyond the reorganization and merger, the company is currently top-heavy as others have noted. And other than management and IT, opportunities for promotions have been limited for everyone else with career tracks undefined and too many positions unfairly lumped into the same salary grade.

Advice to Management

Be present. Come to the occasional staff meeting or take a walk around the office so you know what's going on and don't appear to be detached from the day-to-day work of serving our members.

Don't let decisions fester when they impact staff. People are understandably anxious about their futures with the company.

OK, place to work for now

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at UHC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pretty solid benefits. Love to inflate titles for people in the management class. Offer work from home options. Tons of time off.

Cons

Top heavy with a lot of marginally competent management staff. About one VP for every 5 staff members, which is crazy and clearly not any indication of talent. Not great at a talent recognition and promotion of lower level staff. A lot of management staff with inflated titles and no real value. CEO is non-existent entity.

Advice to Management

fire the CEO. Stop giving token promotions to management staff while ignoring the people that actually get work done.

Top heavy company that may be losing its way.

I have been working at UHC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are good. Flexible work hours and limited work from home. The offices are attractive and well-located. The dedication and knowledge of the staff can't be matched.

Cons

It is nearly impossible to move from staff to manager but practically routine to move from Director to Senior Director or Senior Director to VP. They've even codified the career path as being a climbing wall instead of a ladder but in healthcare knowledge work there is primarily vertical expertise. The leadership can't focus on a strategy because they are so in love with their own ideas they wouldn't acquiesce to follow someone elses' so they hire consultants who ignore culture and history and lead them further astray.

Advice to Management

To readers, please question any reviews that refer to the CEO by her first name as they are likely defensive plants. In a company with less than 300 people most have never had a conversation with the President or EVP. If culture comes from the top down then the culture is that everything beyond the executive offices is inconsequential.
    My advice to management is to recognize that the staff members have proved themselves to be valuable resources to the membership and members’ efforts at improvement in safety, quality, and efficiency. Our member hospital CEOs were hired to guide their institutions into the future. UHC does not have to invest in filling that role and in the past we were successful by facilitating the discussion and providing networking opportunities. There was no sense that we needed to be at the center of thought-leadership and this urge can be vain and self-indulgent. Members are best served if we continue to move forward incrementally and wisely. We should enhance current offerings, devote energy and resources to R&D, eliminate warring factions one way or another, and reevaluate the promises being made to hospital leaders who are too far removed from the daily value UHC brings to their institutions.

9. Noble mission coupled with stability

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at UHC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

UHC is a consortium and is owned by its customers - where else do you find such an excellent business model! But that model wouldn't have held up unless UHC stuck to its mission of helping hospitals improve performance. Everything at UHC is centered around improving performance for a hospital and health system. The root of our work is REALLY around improving healthcare. Those of us on the front-lines have the ability to think creatively and execute without a lot of micro-managing from VPs.

Cons

Not a lot of cons at UHC. Sometimes I feel that executives want to do too much given the resources they have, but they always allow room for input. In terms of career opportunities, UHC provides excellent career / development opportunities, but don't look here for an easy or quick climb up to VP.

Advice to Management

Irene's strategy of focusing VP attention to our members' C-suite really has built the foundation to long-term engagement. I feel pretty stable at UHC. I'm not stupid enough to comment on anything else, but I think its safe to say that if you worked here you'd be comfortable in communicating your thoughts and ideas with management.

10. Good place to work

Former Employee - Specialist in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Specialist in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at UHC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for UHC for 3 years. It was an excellent place to work with a lot of career advancement and inclusion and very interesting work.

Cons

There is a lot of management changes.

Advice to Management

none

11. A great place to work!~

Former Employee - Business Manager in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Business Manager in Richardson, TX

I worked at UHC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Culture is important with this company. They are well disciplined in listening to their employees. The pay and benefits are also pretty good too!

Cons

It's difficult to move around in the company for some folks for some reason.

Advice to Management

Keep with the culture pursuit towards Integrity, Compassion, relationship, innovation, and Performance.

RSS Feed </> Embed