UK Ministry of Defence

Be The First To
Add Photos

Liam Fox

British Army Officer

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Salisbury, England (UK)

I worked at UK Ministry of Defence full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOutstanding ethos, employment training and quality of fellow employees. Thoroughly enjoyed my career and the amazing life, leadership and managerial experiences gained.

ConsShrinking opportunities and questionable morale as organisation is reduced by 20%. Employees have had to accept significant cultural changes and strategic uncertainty. The next few years will be telling.

OBSESSED WITH PROCESS NOT PEOPLE

Career Manager (Former Employee)
Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at UK Ministry of Defence full-time for more than a year

ProsYou work on behalf of some of the most amazing people in the county our soldiers, sailors and airmen. They fight we support.

ConsThe MOD is becoming utterly obsessed with tick box mentality and having a "Process" for every eventuality. It squeezes out any hope of being able to use your initiative. The worst offenders are often those who should know better - military officers frightened of making mistakes in case it reflects badly on them. Result utter bureaucrat that is soul destroying.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead Norman Dixon's The Psychology of Military Incompetence and go and have a very long hard look in the mirror.

a fantastically relaxed atmosphere

Satellite Communications Technician (Former Employee)
Gloucester, England (UK)

I worked at UK Ministry of Defence full-time for more than 3 years

Prosno uniform code, no real dress code. excellent rates of pay, good holiday allocation, good overtime opportunities and pay, plenty of time to balance work and life

Conslong shifts, shitty management, no real opportunity to progress

Advice to Senior Managementmore face time with the staff, enquire more about welfare. listen to staff when problems arise because they may just have the solutions you are looking for.

Operations Manager for a Brigadier

Chief of Staff (Current Employee)
Swindon, Gloucestershire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at UK Ministry of Defence

ProsGood fun most of the time.

ConsCan be demanding and work life balance difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk more.

Important work but management of talent leaves a lot to be desired.

Army Officer - Mid Level (Former Employee)

I worked at UK Ministry of Defence

ProsWork in the MOD offers challenging people focussed work that matters at national level. The variety of work is also excellent.

ConsThis is an organisation yet to wake up to the changes in the world around it - the financial context is tough enough but it will be forced to rethink its entire purpose in the years ahead. The senior (Non-political) management have yet to realise this.....

Advice to Senior ManagementOnce you work out that major change is needed, the best way to be radical is to be simple. My advice would be:

• Focus on what you are for, work out what decisions you need to make, design light structures that focus on decision-making and align money and other resources behind this decision-making structure.

• Agility is a primarily cultural and behavioral issue - empower your deci-sion makers and give them the confidence to act.

• Get rid of the structures that don’t support your decision-making, the spending that doesn’t support your objectives and the people that can’t change their behavior. Then manage the consequences.

This place has potential

I have been working at UK Ministry of Defence

ProsVariety of work opportunities available during a career.

ConsOverly cumbersome practices which would not survive contact in the business world

Advice to Senior ManagementSort out procurement, stop squabbling between services and focus on operational delivery. All easier said than done with joined up government of course.

Worked for UK Ministry of Defence? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UK Ministry of Defence reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UK Ministry of Defence CEO Liam Fox . All 6 reviews posted anonymously by UK Ministry of Defence employees.