UK National Health Service Reviews

3.8
UK National Health Service Chief Executive David Nicholson
David Nicholson

1. Best training, solid employer

Current Employee - Medical SHO in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Medical SHO in London, England (UK)

I have been working at UK National Health Service full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good training across all the sites in the UK, job stability as you progress through the medical training ranks, international recognition as a provider of training

Cons

Salary scale not particularly competitive considering the very long hours and night/weekend working, working conditions not ideal, many sites old and need of capital investment

invest in your staff, respect and value their views and feedback, act promptly on the their concerns and engage them as actors in change

2. NHS Transformation

Former Employee - Transformation Programmer Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Transformation Programmer Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at UK National Health Service

Pros

the environment is complicated and challenging - this makes the job rewarding. very different from the private sector

Cons

Very different from the private sector - i went back after 3.5 years as couldn't take all the paper shuffling antics

actually manage staff and resources, not attend meetings all day and not follow up on actions - and actually try and motivate staff

3. Okay job if you're assertive at problem solving, dont crumble when patients shout at you, and just need a bit of money.

Former Employee - 111 Health Advisor (West London) in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - 111 Health Advisor (West London) in London, England (UK)

I worked at UK National Health Service part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Other Health Advisors generally good people.
    Overtime quite readily available. Contracts of 12, 18, 24, 30 hrs to 37.5.
    Nice to come into work and see people but if not in a sociable mood can still just do your own thing
    Pay at £9 per hour, £11 for hours between 23:00 - 06:00 is slightly better than most unskilled jobs and this is what keeps staff from leaving so quickly as they know it will be difficult in telesales/receptionist other telephone based jobs to earn £9+ an hour.

Cons

Weekends and some evenings you can be put under pressure from your supervisor to take back to back calls from anything from 1 to 6 hrs non stop, you're throat will dry up and your backside will ache and when you press break on your telephone to go to the toilets you often have to make sure no one else is on break which is difficult as there can be upto 30 other staff all wanting to do the same thing.

This IS however only in busy periods but if you're part time ALL your working hours will be busy periods as part time staff have to work every weekend.

Obviously it is slightly repetitive work, I would not recommend this if you're coming into it hoping for a career as there is little to no progression. It is good only as a side job if you have another main goal in life or commitment like children, or your partner is main breadwinner etc. maybe you're running a start up business, are a student at university (maybe quite an ok job on the CV of science and medical undergraduates) etc.

- Enforce name change from job title of "Supervisor" to "Team Leader"
    - Train supervisors to interact by email regarding same day lateness, going over recommended 10 min break time in a 6 hr shift - approaching them while they are taking calls and questioning them in front of everyone is counter-productive.
    - Give health advisors who know the ropes and have been there for 12 months plus a mix of roles on their shifts, use them to create better 1-to-1 culture between new and senior staff so it doesn't come as a massive suprise when people leave.
    - Do regular surveys of staff with the intention of improving staff welfare, say every 3 months or every quarter do a fresh anonymous survey so management can have their finger of the pulse of what staff and patients are looking for quicker rather than years behind.
    - Improve access to "Perks" apparently we have access to discounts but manager hasn't quite seen this through website doesnt work and no one has been able to sign up. So far can only get normal discount by blagging it in Nando's and some Gyms.
    - Let people sit where they want in the call centre, I personally like to sit near the front so I can pop to the kitchen easily but its embarrassing when some of the younger sociable staff clearly just want to sit near their friends and supervisors are forcing them to sit next to someone who they will barely speak to in between calls, also be adults and give a reason why you are moving people, is it just because supervisors dont want to have to walk to the other side when that staff member requires assistance? Then just say so! Maybe let staff who have 95% correct referral sit where they want and encourage but not force those who dont to sit closer to the Supervisors?

I wouldn't want to work anywhere else!

Current Employee - Medical Personal Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Medical Personal Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at UK National Health Service full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I am in a medical PA role in the NHS. If you are hardworking, efficient, patient focussed and caring this is a very rewarding job. Even today there is still good security of employment, great annual leave allowances, parental leave and generous sick leave, along with an excellent pension scheme, in all very good terms and conditions. I would also struggle to find a PA role in another industry matching the salary You are left to get your work done without being "watched over" by management. Working in a large hospital along so many different specialisms and colleagues is interesting.

Cons

Sometimes patients can be rude, I guess like customers anywhere. They can also be anxious, upset and distressed, understandably, and you can be left to deal with things on your own; sometimes you can feel a little isolated. If you are not dedicated it can be difficult to get the job done competently, as the work load does tend to be large. It is the norm to work through breaks, come to work earlier than the start of the shift, etc, but if you are dedicated to patient care and your team it is worth it.

6. World Leading healthcare practice.

Current Intern - CRA in London, England (UK)
    Current Intern - CRA in London, England (UK)

I have been working at UK National Health Service as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Passionate workforce committed to patient care. The research that I conducted was world leading and examined how to optimise healthcare to patients.

Cons

Can be difficult to implement strategy due to funding.

Lobby more against the government health cuts

7. Lots to learn, well structured graduate scheme.

Former Employee - Trainee Medical Physicist in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Trainee Medical Physicist in London, England (UK)

I worked at UK National Health Service full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Well structured graduate scheme for scientists.
    Lots of training/education.
    Opportunity to use scientific skills to improve healthcare.
    Good pension.
    Work life balance is generally good but studying often has to be done out of hours.

Cons

Some work can be repetitive/tedious (e.g. quality assurance tests).
    Majority of jobs for physicists are in radiotherapy, so getting jobs in other fields once you have qualified can be tricky.

8. I enjoyed it here because of the people I worked with and because we were creating something new and innovative.

Former Employee - Journalist (content team) in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Journalist (content team) in London, England (UK)

I worked at UK National Health Service full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people. The content team is a great group of journalists, most with excellent skills, enthusiasm and commitment to the project. Everyone worked well together but we had our share of laughs too.

Cons

The office is a 70s throwback with swathes of ancient wooden desks and filing cabinets. When I was there most of us didn't have a window view or much natural light. Elephant & Castle is a grey, drab area with limited lunch options (and no healthy ones).

Our surroundings can uplift, inspire and motivate us or be grey and demotivating. This office space needs work!

9. Blinkered employer with no incentives package

Former Employee - Surgical Registrar in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Surgical Registrar in London, England (UK)

I worked at UK National Health Service full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As a doctor I was doing the job of my dreams so the NHS allowed me that avenue.

Cons

My salary decreased for last 3 years. I was unable to take my annual leave as the managers or bosses would decline it. Management prioritise cutting costs and corners for quick wins rather than increasing efficiency safely for the long run.

Change your priorities. You are looking at the wrong picture.

10. Analyst

Current Employee - Information Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Information Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at UK National Health Service full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed job, no work pressure

Cons

dry work life, no career progression, no learning opporunities, no tranings

11. Decent; did not stay too long

Current Employee - Software Developer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at UK National Health Service full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good place to start off a career as a graduate technologist from mid ranked school. was able to learn the basics of working life before moving on to a more appropriate role.

Cons

bureaucracy, poor quality staff, but no worse than any public sector role, pay was not great either, but you dont work in the NHS for the money, do you?

not sure they can do any more