UK National Health Service

3.2

UK National Health Service Chief Executive David Nicholson
David Nicholson

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I wouldn't want to work anywhere else!

Current Employee - Medical Personal Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Medical Personal Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at UK National Health Service full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I am in a medical PA role in the NHS. If you are hardworking, efficient, patient focussed and caring this is a very rewarding job. Even today there is still good security of employment, great annual leave allowances, parental leave and generous sick leave, along with an excellent pension scheme, in all very good terms and conditions. I would also struggle to find a PA role in another industry matching the salary You are left to get your work done without being "watched over" by management. Working in a large hospital along so many different specialisms and colleagues is interesting.

Cons

Sometimes patients can be rude, I guess like customers anywhere. They can also be anxious, upset and distressed, understandably, and you can be left to deal with things on your own; sometimes you can feel a little isolated. If you are not dedicated it can be difficult to get the job done competently, as the work load does tend to be large. It is the norm to work through breaks, come to work earlier than the start of the shift, etc, but if you are dedicated to patient care and your team it is worth it.

World Leading healthcare practice.

Current Employee - CRA in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - CRA in London, England (UK)

I have been working at UK National Health Service as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Passionate workforce committed to patient care. The research that I conducted was world leading and examined how to optimise healthcare to patients.

Cons

Can be difficult to implement strategy due to funding.

Lobby more against the government health cuts

Lots to learn, well structured graduate scheme.

Former Employee - Trainee Medical Physicist in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Trainee Medical Physicist in London, England (UK)

I worked at UK National Health Service full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Well structured graduate scheme for scientists.
    Lots of training/education.
    Opportunity to use scientific skills to improve healthcare.
    Good pension.
    Work life balance is generally good but studying often has to be done out of hours.

Cons

Some work can be repetitive/tedious (e.g. quality assurance tests).
    Majority of jobs for physicists are in radiotherapy, so getting jobs in other fields once you have qualified can be tricky.

I enjoyed it here because of the people I worked with and because we were creating something new and innovative.

Former Employee - Journalist (content team) in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Journalist (content team) in London, England (UK)

I worked at UK National Health Service full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people. The content team is a great group of journalists, most with excellent skills, enthusiasm and commitment to the project. Everyone worked well together but we had our share of laughs too.

Cons

The office is a 70s throwback with swathes of ancient wooden desks and filing cabinets. When I was there most of us didn't have a window view or much natural light. Elephant & Castle is a grey, drab area with limited lunch options (and no healthy ones).

Our surroundings can uplift, inspire and motivate us or be grey and demotivating. This office space needs work!

Blinkered employer with no incentives package

Former Employee - Surgical Registrar in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Surgical Registrar in London, England (UK)

I worked at UK National Health Service full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As a doctor I was doing the job of my dreams so the NHS allowed me that avenue.

Cons

My salary decreased for last 3 years. I was unable to take my annual leave as the managers or bosses would decline it. Management prioritise cutting costs and corners for quick wins rather than increasing efficiency safely for the long run.

Change your priorities. You are looking at the wrong picture.

Analyst

Current Employee - Information Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Information Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at UK National Health Service full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed job, no work pressure

Cons

dry work life, no career progression, no learning opporunities, no tranings

Decent; did not stay too long

Current Employee - Software Developer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at UK National Health Service full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good place to start off a career as a graduate technologist from mid ranked school. was able to learn the basics of working life before moving on to a more appropriate role.

Cons

bureaucracy, poor quality staff, but no worse than any public sector role, pay was not great either, but you dont work in the NHS for the money, do you?

not sure they can do any more

Guaranteed pa, that all...

Former Employee - Senior Physiotherapist in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Physiotherapist in London, England (UK)

I worked at UK National Health Service

Pros

Guaranteed pay and employment means no worry.
    Theoretically a guaranteed pension payable by the british government

Cons

Poor pay and no bonus system so there is little point excelling. Excelling at your job does not make promotion likely, more if you are a bureaucrat. Lack of useful training for career advancement. Most training is Politically correct crap that covers the governments ass with health and safety etc!

Don't just do what the government asks to gain promotion, do things to benefit the patients and your staff. The NHS has staff that are motivated to patients, but couldn't care for the majority of management. My last manager was certainly one who did a great job, but many before had been useless puppets.

Can be a worthwhile job, but you'll learn to hate your evil overlord masters at the Department of Health.

Current Employee - Information Analyst in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Information Analyst in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at UK National Health Service

Pros

The final year pension scheme, which, I think, no longer exists for new employees. And there probably won't be anything left in the pot by the time you retire anyway after Labor's finished raiding it.

Cons

Everything you do is geared towards chasing paper targets and nonsensical initiatives drafted by some monkey at the Department of Health, what we want to do is help people.

Private organisations see the NHS as a cash cow they can tap for funds, heads should be rolling for the gross financial negligence exhibited by policymakers.

NHS - Great non-pay benefits, hard to progress, poor communication, but trying to make it work

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Kent, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Kent, England (UK)

I worked at UK National Health Service

Pros

Because its an organisation accountable to the government, every effort is made for all organisations to have the same benefits including Annual leave and family friendly policies. Being such a large organisation, there is always room to develop and progress in your career, although you may be the one who has to push for it.

Cons

Promotion opportunities are there, although it may take you a while for you to progress in your career at the speed you want. In some cases there are gaps in "next step" positions, meaning you either have to make a really big leap to the next stage on the ladder and struggle for a while, or leave to get the right expereince elsewhere. Management communication is mostly poor as new managers are not given the support and skill develeopment they may need to learn how to run a team. Generally people feel they are overworked and underpaid - because its government run, that is generally true.

They need to invest and provide proper structured development programmes to new managers BEFORE they start their new role and get sucked into the manic day to day working of the NHS. Time needs to be given to people,to adjust into new roles, and they need better guidance and induction into the job, making clear expectations of them, and what they should expect in return, as well as regular constructive feeedback. They need to hire more people to get the unrealistic demands of work being set unpon senior management completed. That does not mean more managers.. just more workers to delegate to.