UK National Health Service

Add Photos

UK National Health Service Chief Executive David Nicholson

David Nicholson

UK NHS as an employer

Consultant Surgeon (Current Employee) Swansea, Wales (UK)

ProsReasonable salary, still has a good pension scheme despite recent increase in contributions and reduction in pension.

ConsNo incentives to deliver good service, minimal appraisal, but guaranteed wage- this encourages a rather lazy attitude to working. After all, most people will do the least amount of work that they can get away with!

Advice to Senior ManagementI am in a service delivery role as a surgeon, not a specifically- titled management role. Despite, this, the job needs management skills. I believe that management skills training ought to be encouraged as well as insight into the economics of the NHS in general.

World Leading healthcare practice.

CRA (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsPassionate workforce committed to patient care. The research that I conducted was world leading and examined how to optimise healthcare to patients.

ConsCan be difficult to implement strategy due to funding.

Advice to Senior ManagementLobby more against the government health cuts

Analyst Interview

Support Analyst (Current Employee) Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

ProsLaid back culture, great holidays and work life balance,

Conshave to push for growth and training, management can be absent, poor communication throughout organisation

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in people more, communicate and update staff about developments

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots to learn, well structured graduate scheme.

Trainee Medical Physicist (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsWell structured graduate scheme for scientists.
    Lots of training/education.
    Opportunity to use scientific skills to improve healthcare.
    Good pension.
    Work life balance is generally good but studying often has to be done out of hours.

ConsSome work can be repetitive/tedious (e.g. quality assurance tests).
    Majority of jobs for physicists are in radiotherapy, so getting jobs in other fields once you have qualified can be tricky.

Blinkered employer with no incentives package

Surgical Registrar (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsAs a doctor I was doing the job of my dreams so the NHS allowed me that avenue.

ConsMy salary decreased for last 3 years. I was unable to take my annual leave as the managers or bosses would decline it. Management prioritise cutting costs and corners for quick wins rather than increasing efficiency safely for the long run.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your priorities. You are looking at the wrong picture.

Moderate to good, choppy waters at times

Biomedical Scientist NHS (Current Employee) Leicester, England (UK)

ProsGood social security, good bunch of people in general working for the NHS, the job is satisfying when they let you do it, easy to move job or location; most places are quite flexible re hours, many hospitals provide childcare at work etc

ConsUnderstaffing!! You might not be able to get holidays at all, or not anywhere near the time you want to take them, as many departments are so understaffed already. Some useless managers around, just looking out for themselves or fulfill management targets regardless of what falls by the wayside due to this, which often is staff morale. A lot of staff are pretty fed up at the moment, but carry on for the sake of the patients. Usually not enough resources for training, often staff are told they need qualification xyz to do their job, yet the opportunity to complete the training never materialises; incompetent staff are carried and never got rid off, people who put themselves out derive no benefit from it. As long as you can talk the talk you'll get a management role, never mind if you are actually able to do the job!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can't keep cutting staff levels and resources without affecting patient care; reward people who go the extra mile, not those who agree with you and a***lick

ostly positive

ProsGood terms and conditions, good work life balance and employee representation

ConsNo opportunity for bonuses, can be a bit of a disincentive

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to staff and let them manage, ignore politicans

Analyst

Information Analyst (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsRelaxed job, no work pressure

Consdry work life, no career progression, no learning opporunities, no tranings

fab

Project Assistant (Current Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Prosvery great social body for helping people

Consnot i am aware of..

Advice to Senior Managementmust opt for it

Decent; did not stay too long

Software Developer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosgood place to start off a career as a graduate technologist from mid ranked school. was able to learn the basics of working life before moving on to a more appropriate role.

Consbureaucracy, poor quality staff, but no worse than any public sector role, pay was not great either, but you dont work in the NHS for the money, do you?

Advice to Senior Managementnot sure they can do any more

Worked for UK National Health Service? Contribute to the Community!