UK National Health Service

Updated February 26, 2015
3.3

UK National Health Service Chief Executive David Nicholson
David Nicholson

I wouldn't want to work anywhere else!

Current Employee - Medical Personal Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Medical Personal Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at UK National Health Service full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I am in a medical PA role in the NHS. If you are hardworking, efficient, patient focussed and caring this is a very rewarding job. Even today there is still good security of employment, great annual leave allowances, parental leave and generous sick leave, along with an excellent pension scheme, in all very good terms and conditions. I would also struggle to find a PA role in another industry matching the salary You are left to get your work done without being "watched over" by management. Working in a large hospital along so many different specialisms and colleagues is interesting.

Cons

Sometimes patients can be rude, I guess like customers anywhere. They can also be anxious, upset and distressed, understandably, and you can be left to deal with things on your own; sometimes you can feel a little isolated. If you are not dedicated it can be difficult to get the job done competently, as the work load does tend to be large. It is the norm to work through breaks, come to work earlier than the start of the shift, etc, but if you are dedicated to patient care and your team it is worth it.

Okay job if you're assertive at problem solving, dont crumble when patients shout at you, and just need a bit of money.

Former Employee - 111 Health Advisor (West London) in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - 111 Health Advisor (West London) in London, England (UK)

I worked at UK National Health Service part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Other Health Advisors generally good people.
    Overtime quite readily available. Contracts of 12, 18, 24, 30 hrs to 37.5.
    Nice to come into work and see people but if not in a sociable mood can still just do your own thing
    Pay at £9 per hour, £11 for hours between 23:00 - 06:00 is slightly better than most unskilled jobs and this is what keeps staff from leaving so quickly as they know it will be difficult in telesales/receptionist other telephone based jobs to earn £9+ an hour.

Cons

Weekends and some evenings you can be put under pressure from your supervisor to take back to back calls from anything from 1 to 6 hrs non stop, you're throat will dry up and your backside will ache and when you press break on your telephone to go to the toilets you often have to make sure no one else is on break which is difficult as there can be upto 30 other staff all wanting to do the same thing.

This IS however only in busy periods but if you're part time ALL your working hours will be busy periods as part time staff have to work every weekend.

Obviously it is slightly repetitive work, I would not recommend this if you're coming into it hoping for a career as there is little to no progression. It is good only as a side job if you have another main goal in life or commitment like children, or your partner is main breadwinner etc. maybe you're running a start up business, are a student at university (maybe quite an ok job on the CV of science and medical undergraduates) etc.

- Enforce name change from job title of "Supervisor" to "Team Leader"
    - Train supervisors to interact by email regarding same day lateness, going over recommended 10 min break time in a 6 hr shift - approaching them while they are taking calls and questioning them in front of everyone is counter-productive.
    - Give health advisors who know the ropes and have been there for 12 months plus a mix of roles on their shifts, use them to create better 1-to-1 culture between new and senior staff so it doesn't come as a massive suprise when people leave.
    - Do regular surveys of staff with the intention of improving staff welfare, say every 3 months or every quarter do a fresh anonymous survey so management can have their finger of the pulse of what staff and patients are looking for quicker rather than years behind.
    - Improve access to "Perks" apparently we have access to discounts but manager hasn't quite seen this through website doesnt work and no one has been able to sign up. So far can only get normal discount by blagging it in Nando's and some Gyms.
    - Let people sit where they want in the call centre, I personally like to sit near the front so I can pop to the kitchen easily but its embarrassing when some of the younger sociable staff clearly just want to sit near their friends and supervisors are forcing them to sit next to someone who they will barely speak to in between calls, also be adults and give a reason why you are moving people, is it just because supervisors dont want to have to walk to the other side when that staff member requires assistance? Then just say so! Maybe let staff who have 95% correct referral sit where they want and encourage but not force those who dont to sit closer to the Supervisors?

Overall a poor experience, no motivation to work for the service again!

Current Employee - Biomedical Scientist in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Biomedical Scientist in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at UK National Health Service full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent enough pay,with a defined pay banding, good holiday allowances too. Joined the service to help patients but soon felt like I was on a production line.

Cons

Low morale throughout staff, terrible training, poor man management and communication by managers. Can only comment on my own lab though so maybe different elsewhere! Very few opportunities to progress past Band 6.

Listen tothe feedback from staff more, do not just treat them as numbers. Spend more time in the lab with your staff and not in your own offices or meetings!

Not family friendly

I have been working at UK National Health Service

Pros

Sick pay, Annual leave, thats it

Cons

Top down micro managment, lack of prospects,

Recognise value and encourage, and reward it accordingly

Analyst

I have been working at UK National Health Service

Pros

Job security, No over time, pension scheme

Cons

At times there are no work to do
    Low salary

Worked for over 30 years but in order to "encourage me to go"they made life so miserable that I ended off sick.

Former Employee - Nurse in Yeovil, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Nurse in Yeovil, England (UK)

I worked at UK National Health Service full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Biggest employer in the country.

Cons

Nurses and their managers. They may say they are carers but not to their own - i.e. the staff.
    Too much "ticking the boxes and paperwork" rather than caring for the clients.

Think about staff. They are the backbone of the organisation. Kick them too often and eventually they have to bring in the unions.

NHS review

I have been working at UK National Health Service

Pros

Holidays, pension are the only possitive

Cons

A4C structure forces the most talented staff to stop using their specialist skills and become full time managers.

X

Payroll Clark

Former Contractor - Payroll Clark in Southampton, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Payroll Clark in Southampton, England (UK)

I worked at UK National Health Service as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

office environment, customer services team relationship, fast passed

Cons

job offer through job agency and job placement was not long enough

Brilliant learning experience, although under a lot of pressure

Former Employee - Health Care Assistant in Southport, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Health Care Assistant in Southport, England (UK)

I worked at UK National Health Service full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The team at the ward I worked on was lovely, everyone was very helpful and supportive. I couldn't have asked for more welcoming colleagues.
    Great learning opportunities
    Very rewarding and enjoyable job

Cons

Not enough staff- in the present economic climate the NHS is simply underfunded and lacks staff
    High pressure- again due to staff levels
    Unsocial hours- required to work early, late, night shifts and weekend shifts, but that is to be expected when working in a hospital as it is 24/7 care

More funding needed in the NHS at the moment, more staff are needed urgently

hard work few perks

Current Employee - Manager in Hereford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in Hereford, England (UK)

I have been working at UK National Health Service full-time (less than a year)

Pros

the contract terms - sick leave, mat leave, pension

Cons

politics and general bullying atmosphere

be nicer to your employees