UKW Franchising

UKW Franchising Reviews

1.4

Noemi Grupenmager
1 Rating

Good company, OK pay, horrible management, nonexistent benefits and no chances for advancement

Former Employee - Receptionist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Receptionist in New York, NY

I worked at UKW Franchising full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Good pay for a job that requires little to no experience and can be learned very easily
    - Great employee discount
    - Flexible schedule
    - Awesome, happy customers
    - Clean, comfortable work environment

Cons

- Extremely unprofessional and disorganized store management that does not know (or seem to care about) the fundamentals of management, customer and employee relations, marketing, the products and services of their own company or even how to purchase inventory efficiently
    - Owner leaves management to run the center without ensuring that it is being run according to the franchise agreement, or that management is properly executing the duties required of them, thus resulting in huge financial losses
    - No chances for pay raise and no opportunities for career advancement
    - No benefits, no matter how long you are employed with the company
    - No lunch breaks for receptionists despite working 12.5 hour days - you eat at the front desk while you work, or you don't eat at all. Meanwhile, all the other employees have 30 min - 1 hour lunch breaks every day
    - Receptionists are treated as disposable and unimportant, and are constantly fired and hired with no warning, no legitimate reasoning, and no records kept of why they were even fired; waxers, on the other hand, are treated as the golden dolls who often break rules, engage in enormous conflict with coworkers and have no regard for others, regardless of position - yet they are rarely ever fired due to the initial investment the company made in them to have them as employees

To Store Management:

Listen to your employees, listen to your customers, educate yourself on the company you represent, develop a sense of class and professionalism, and stop acting like if everything is always the receptionists' fault. Yes, we are responsible for a lot of the relationships between our company and our customers, however there is only so much we can do to ensure that the business is as efficient and profitable as possible. If you knew what you were doing yourself, and then took the time to properly train the receptionists in the first place, they might actually do what they need to do, instead of learning from the bad example that is set and then firing them for exactly what they have been taught. You're getting paid to run this business, so RUN it.

It is your job to look at what has and has not worked in the past, and try to devise a plan that will benefit all sides. It is your job to communicate with your employees, to tell or ask them nicely to work extra days and times that are not our regularly scheduled hours, and let us know a few a days in advance when you do decide to change our schedule. Because we're all doing your a favor when we say yes - we have husbands and children and plans and lives.

Creating a standard for your workers, and developing a sense of of organization goes a long way - a lot of the problems you face as management, as well as the resulting conflicts with employees is from a blatant lack of both. Too much stock in one store, almost none in the other. Workflow and tasks assigned to different workers differ by location. One of the stores is kept neat and clean; the other is always untidy. How can there be same ownership and management, yet the stores themselves seem to belong to entirely different people? How can the employees themselves be expected to uphold the same standard of work and customer service at both locations when the way the stores are actually managed is entirely different?

When stores are well-organized, have a standard, staff are properly trained and knowledgeable about products and services, they become very efficient; when efficiency is achieved, productivity is heightened; when productivity is heightened, customers increase; when customers increase, profit increases; when profit increases, management/ownership is able to provide better work incentives for workers; happy workers mean strong work ethic and better customer service; better customer service causes more satisfied customers; satisfied customers result in even more profit.

UKW Franchising, in general, is a wonderful company that I know will continue to experience rapid growth as customers continue to realize that the waxing is truly unlike any other experience, the prices are affordable and unbeatable, and other entrepreneurs decide to join the team. However, working at Uni K - at least at these certain locations, and at those others that experience similar problems - will continue to be a horror for those involved, unless some major changes are made to make it truly a enjoyable experience for all.

To Senior Management:

You guys are doing a great job at keeping an eye on what's going on with your franchises. However, I do implore you to be a little more tough and put your food down where certain matters are concerned. I don't think I need to write out in detail exactly what needs to be done, as you already have an idea for yourselves the scenarios that play out at certain Uni K Centers, and it does not only reflect negatively on those particular stores, but also on the entire company as a whole.

Suspicious company values

Former Employee - Receptionist
    Former Employee - Receptionist

I worked at UKW Franchising full-time (less than an year)

Pros

free waxing, not hard work

Cons

management is extremely controlling and doesnt care about employees, desperate for customers. wanted waxers to be extremely fast at services after only two weeks. manager treated me as though i was stupid for asking questions. discovered that a complaint was filed against one store for alleged wage-theft (google it, its available to the public to see)

dont ask your employees or friends to write good yelp reviews to cover your irresponsibility. pay employees for overtime. be more understanding to your employees, dont try to withhold information we are entitled to know. be more helpful to employees just staring out

Dream job turned my life into a Nightmare!

Former Employee - Corporate in North Miami Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Corporate in North Miami Beach, FL

I worked at UKW Franchising

Pros

Amazing inspirational CEO, free waxing services, better than average salary, supplied with above average technological equiptment to do job proficenently.

Cons

The benefits are poor- only partial health insurabce. All executives have been there for years and are very closed off and not open to a new person joining the team. They do not make time to properly cmmunicate and therefore franchisees feel angry and ignored. Nothing is set to a policy even if there is one it is never effecively communicated.
    They do not properly take the time to train their staff members both in the corporate office as well as the wax centers causing many issues w clients and employees.
    Communfair when needed is rarely available and consequencences are unfairly implemented.
    Projects are always pushed to the back burner until the very last minute causing errors and stress.

The CEO is a wonderful woman but she is spread so thin. There is not enough adequate upper management to profenciently communicate and train staff members. Proper policys and expectations and training need to be implemented in order for someone to act efficently in their position. Many people who have worked there for years still are unsure of the way things work and just go with the flow. Employees need to be set for success otherwise they are bound to fail.