UMB Bank

Updated January 19, 2015
Updated January 19, 2015
3.2

Mariner Kemper

Overall great place to work.

I have been working at UMB Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They have a strong culture and strong values. They truly believe in "tuce" or the unparalleled customer experience. I personally have a great supervisor who really wants to develop her associates.

Cons

I think they need to revise the disciplinary process for the consumer side of the business to focus more on coaching and developing associates when they make mistakes. Currently it just seems to discourage associates and hurt there self worth.

I would focus on allowing more internal growth for the consumer line of business. There are plenty of these folks that try for a long time to get into the corporate world without success, and eventually leave the company. You do a good job of developing and promoting once associates are in the corporate atmosphere but not before.

It's a Bank - What do you expect

I have been working at UMB Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cool Technology, Good Folks, Good Culture

Cons

Politics, Politics, Politics, Politics, Politics

Weed the garden

Intern

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at UMB Bank as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good atmosphere and working environment.

Cons

Managers, senior employees were closed minded.

Good pay, not a long time career

Current Employee - Transaction Specialist II in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Transaction Specialist II in Omaha, NE

I have been working at UMB Bank full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pay is decent here, however not worth the trouble.

Cons

Terrible training, no stability, no growth opportunities

People in management should be those with a friendly, positive attitude - not somebody who you fear reaching out to.

Great place to work for.

Former Employee - Transaction Specialist I in Brentwood, MO
    Former Employee - Transaction Specialist I in Brentwood, MO

I worked at UMB Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They really appreciate their employees, all about hearing feedback, strong company values, discounts at various retailers and for sporting events.

Cons

Quite the gossip community, banking technology is lacking compared to other banks, poor training program, each district (or regional manager) is very different from the other.

It was definitely a experience within my last 2 years of employment.

Current Employee - Data Entry/Lockbox Clerk in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Data Entry/Lockbox Clerk in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at UMB Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The beneficial benefits, some curteous people I've got to work with and the learning experience.

Cons

Some negativity, unorganization, unexplained guidelines to rules and disbelief on certain situations.

Learn the rules and guidelines, help out more often when needed, more positive attitude, listen to even aspect of a situation, organize the work flow process better, positivity at all timed, relaxing working environment is needed and let the employees work more independently without rushing.

Unfair to long-term employees

Former Employee - Teller I
    Former Employee - Teller I

I worked at UMB Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

PTO, benefits. Well known bank. Wonderful grieving time. Some individuals care for individuals. You have the opportunity to get to know your co-workers.

Cons

Call nights. Literally cold calling people from 4:30-6:00pm. Interrupting people during their dinners just to try and sell credit cards. Very embarrassing and largely unsuccessful.
    Poor management. Managers giving one full time employee a 49 hour work week and another employee 35. Making it impossible to get a 38 hour work week without working a Saturday while others get 40 hours every week and don't work Saturdays.
    Pushing good employees out. Firing a very good employee with the track record to back things up while the lesser worker (a male) stays with a higher "rating." Management cried while firing because they couldn't explain why they had to fire.

Overall on the almost two years I worked there, the place went from an amazing place to work to a hated place. Almost half the employees (including the firing management) were desperate to get out of there, and did within two months of my departure. Just make it more fair!

Gradually Changing Culture

Current Employee - Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at UMB Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Generous PTO, Medical Plan covers 100% of all lab work. If you work in Kansas City, the company has opportunities for promotion. The bank has a historical record of stability, so you don't have to worry about the bank going out of business. Recent projects suggest that senior leadership might have a growing awareness of gaps in technology resources.

Cons

The company likes to think it has an extremely risk-adverse culture. As a result, the company can be very slow to change. UMB is far behind in technology and trying to catch-up before its too late. Senior leadership opposes men wearing brown shoes. Accountability has been lacking in several major departments where leaders are not held to task for accomplishing their objectives and supporting internal partners.

Invest more in technology for automation, cut expenses by moving to paper-less processes, and lighten up about the brown shoes. Create more opportunities for employees outside of the downtown campus.

Not a bad place to start out.

Current Employee - Transaction Specialist II in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Transaction Specialist II in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at UMB Bank full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of benefits no matter the position, part time or full time. The company seems very interested in helping their employees grow and develop.

Cons

The feel of the workplace changes a lot depending where you end up. Different managers have a lot of control over the tone and procedures in their areas.

Overall, from my low spot on the totem pole, I don't believe there's much management can do to make the workplace much better. They go a little nuts with Kaizan, but I understand why.

Great company with lots of great people to work with and for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at UMB Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a great company with lots of folks who cares about you. Lots of folks with lots of knowledge to share. There are plenty of growth opportunities. Open door policy, casual attire, and most managers encourages associates to better themselves, both personal and career. Encourages mentoring and willing to hire entry level and train. Folks care and take pride in what they do and how they run the business. Very strong values.

Cons

Not the most up to date with technology. Slowly getting there though. Downtown. Have to pay for parking, though get some reimbursement.