UMB Financial

UMB Financial Reviews in Kansas City, MO

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

UMB Financial Chairman and CEO, UMB Financial and UMB Bank Colorado J. Mariner Kemper

J. Mariner Kemper

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Vice President

Vice President (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsCulture of Count On More

ConsA small bank but growing quick

Advice to Senior ManagementQuestion existing middle-management and restructure to leverage technology and Associates' expertise.

Behind the times/benefits with strings attached/cheap, cheap, cheap!

Manager (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsPretty easy place to work as long as you smile and seem to have a good attitude. Work life balance was good and manager was very flexible with schedule.

ConsIf you're Ina role where technology is needed to get your job done, it makes for tough going because they're so far behind the times. And if you work in the consumer/retail side of the house it's even worse, because Commercial banking is first when it comes to IT resources. Tuition reimbursement program is dumb- for every class they reimburse you for, you have to complete one full year of service or pay back whatever amount you don't work off. As it relates to 401k match, they only contribute once every year, so if you're not working there on 12/31 you don't get any match. Profit sharing participation has strange timing too. So, it seems they have benefits because they have to have them, but all the restrictions they put around them say that they don't want to pay for them. If you work at 1010, dress code attire is still 1980's era business attire.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou might keep people longer if some of the silly rules are eliminated. Also, you want work completed you have to improve the technology.

UMB assoicate review

Senior Vice President (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsThe company is family owned.

ConsManagement does not care about the associates

Advice to Senior ManagementPut words into action and focus on associate satisfaction.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great experience

QA Consultant (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsI learned how to use new tools.

ConsIt was a different form of documentation than I had used. There wasn't anything wrong with it, but it took some getting used to.

Advice to Senior ManagementI had great upper management. I keep in contact with my direct report there.

Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to move in.

QA Analyst (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

Pros1. Pleasant work environment
    2. Nice co-workers
    3. Opportunity to learn specialized aspects of banking (if you happen to be assigned to a good project)

Cons1. Not a good place for an IT contractor unless you have very low initiative and enjoy being a gofer
    2. Tight fisted budget that prohibits employees from acquiring tools they need to do their jobs
    3. Out-dated processes and methodology

Advice to Senior ManagementMake better use of your IT consultants - they cost your company a lot money.

Marketing Intern

Marketing Internship (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsGreat people to work with, great pay, actual intern duties

ConsI do not have any cons

Advice to Senior ManagementI do not have any advice

Great start to a promising career.

Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsUMB has some of the best people working for them. Made lifelong friends and enjoyed my tenure there. Management is good overall and really cares about your development.

ConsThe pay for quality employees is lacking. Many great employees leave and employee similar careers elsewhere due to lack of performance raises/pay. New employees will come in making more than experienced, tenured employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on retaining and compensating quality employees rather than hiring from outside.

Upper management is biggest risk to the business

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsMany bright people work here.
    For employees, the holiday, vacation, etc are above average.
    The processes are so inefficient there are many opportunities for improvement.

ConsHigh turnover in certain areas.
    Pay is towards the bottom of the scale.
    Major disconnect between business unit and IT

Advice to Senior ManagementModernize. Your processes are over ten years old.

As with any company, some good some not so good

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsExecutive management very engaging. Trying to get out of the mold of the 80s and 90s. Very focused on growth of the company and willing to listen to non-traditional ideas

ConsStill a fair amount of cronyism going on. Some measures are paid attention to at the expense of core issues. Difficult conversations do not happen, but messengers are often shot.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind out root issues before running off half-cocked. Deal with core problems and the others will disappear.

Great company that promotes employee development and community involvement.

Operations Analyst (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsGrowth opportunity Volunteer Time Off Incentive Program Listens to Associates

ConsI dont have any cons.

Worked for UMB Financial? Contribute to the Community!