UMBC Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.9
CEO

Pros
  • A good place to learn new things and meet new friends from different countries and cultures (in 3 reviews)

• A great place to learn and work (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No cons from my personal experience (in 4 reviews)

• No cons, as this is a great place to work (in 2 reviews)

1. education

Former Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Baltimore, MD

I worked at UMBC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

getting to meet new people and speaking with the students

Cons

never know when someone is haveing a bad day

2. Tech

I have been working at UMBC full-time

Pros

Friendly, flexible schedule, electronic time sheets

Cons

Parking, pay is low compared to what other jobs offer

3. Student

Current Employee - Summer Intern in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Summer Intern in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at UMBC part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Resources, people are always there to help if I have questions about java or any other programming language.

Cons

Compensation is irregular and barely enough to cover expenses.

5. It's ok for state employment

I have been working at UMBC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of days off. Depending on the department, lots of freedom

Cons

State employment and mentality. Any raise has been very few and far between. Dont go into it for the money.power obsessed idiots.

Advice to Management

See who is REALLY doing the work, not who is claiming to.

6. Chemistry/Biology Tutor

Current Employee - Researcher in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Researcher in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at UMBC part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great place to work at, as makes you grow both individually and professionally; great teamwork based place!

Cons

I didn't find any, as you mainly work with students; great staff as well!

Advice to Management

That's the only way moving forward!

7. Graduate Student

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at UMBC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The department I work at is very friendly and not competitive at all. You can actually discuss your work with others and get good feedback. UMBC in general is a good school, small and with friendly and helpful people. Highly accepting of international students and diversity.

Cons

Since the school is small it is not very well known. The department I work at currently faces money problems and so in terms of working environment it has become very stringent and less enjoyable. Research seems to be taking a turn towards the business side which is completely out of the idea of what research is all about.

Advice to Management

Since UMBC is very open to receiving international students workshops should be organized in order to have department chairs and prospective advisors understand what limitations these students have and the consequences of suddenly stopping a students funding.

8. Research Assistant

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Arbutus, MD
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Arbutus, MD

I worked at UMBC (Less than a year)

Pros

Was an ok place to work. I worked with two professors at UMBC. A pretty decent place to work if you are a student there already.

Cons

It can get boring sometimes especially if you are working with a professor who doesn't really explain their project clearly to you.

Advice to Management

Make sure students are paired with professors that are working on research the students are interested in, it makes the experience more interesting

9. STEM Research Assistants

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Linthicum, MD
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Linthicum, MD

I have been working at UMBC (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of the professors are passionate about their research. Be sure to rotate labs every semester as it will make you more versatile in general.

Cons

Professors approach things differently. Some labs may involve just cleaning glassware and are not engaging at all. Do a shadowing if possible before you join a lab.

Advice to Management

UMBC is a very academically focused school. However, more efforts need to go into cultivating students' social ability, as this is very important in the real world.

10. 5 star school, 3 star workplace

Former Employee - Admissions in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Admissions in Baltimore, MD

I worked at UMBC part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great university with excellent PR & marketing of their students & professors accomplishments. Top rated school for many years & President Hrabowski is an amazing leader & gets things done. A lot of new facilities on campus. Overall a great school to attend, but maybe not one of the best to work at.

Cons

HR: lengthy processes & mandatory abhorrent orientations for new hires, including waiting 4 weeks to get your first paycheck?! State institution that suffers furlow days, salary cuts, hiring freezes & more monetary injustice to employees who are not being paid much to begin with. Campus is constantly under construction, but employees salaries were being cut – doesn't make much sense?

Advice to Management

As an alumni & former employee, I experienced many of the same consistent bureaucratic frustrations of dealing with the administrative departments on campus, massive amounts of paperwork and procedures for every minor thing, waiting in line @ some offices is akin to the DMV. Advice: realize that your employees are the best resource you have at a school, nothing else.

11. Pleasant Experience

I have been working at UMBC part-time

Pros

Professor was kind, students were bright, and one you figured out how to use the Blackboard grading system, it was very helpful. A lot of autonomy, and paychecks were always on time.

Cons

No real Cons. All around a quite enjoyable experience, although it varies from professor to professor. Some professors will be great to work with, while others will be unreceptive to advice or performance feedback.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and hold onto good professors. It may be time to phase out other professors though, particularly the ones who care more about research than about their students

RSS Feed </> Embed