UMR Reviews

Jay M. Anliker

1. Good entry level job

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Blue Ash, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Blue Ash, OH

I worked at UMR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice environment, great coworkers, good support if you needed help. Overtime is available, and it's a nice area (Blue Ash) to work in. It's a good job if you're looking for a starting point to get your career going.

Cons

There are a lot of computer programs that are used for a call. Not enough supervisors to assist issues. They listen to and grade every call, but won't tell you that you screwed up until it's too late. They a very strict on time. Also I lived in Kentucky and traffic was brutal. I would leave work at 5 and wouldn't get home till 6:15, and without traffic it would take 20 minutes to get home. So if you live north of downtown Cincinnati, It's a good place to work.

Advice to Management

Hire more of you, each team needs 3 or 4 upper management types on each team and upgrade the technology.

2. UMR is an OK place to work

Current Employee - CFR/Claims Processor in Blue Ash, OH
    Current Employee - CFR/Claims Processor in Blue Ash, OH

Pros

The benefits are the best thing that they have to offer. Being off every holiday and working Monday through Friday are definite pluses if you prefer not work weekends and holidays. In addition to that the number of vacation days per year is another perk.

Cons

The starting pay is not sufficient for the work that they want you to do as a CFR/Claims Processor. Essentially you are doing two jobs, but being paid for one. It is rare that you can even process claims due to answering calls all day. For this reason claims are not processed in a timely manner and you have repeat/angry callers on a regular basis. Calls can be complicated as well. You could be a customer service rep anywhere in the area for $14.00 an hour and not have the stress of having to process claims as well. Another con is that the phone transfer system does not work properly so when transferring members and providers 9 times out of 10 they don't get to the right place, which frustrates us as well as the callers because they have to be transferred over and over again. I've brought this this to my managers attention numerous times and we have been told that we are not transferring properly, which certainly is not the case. After more than a year I think that most people know the proper steps to transfer a call.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. If we tell you that there is a problem in place with a system such as the phone transfers take it serious and get it fixed. If you did a survey of members and providers regarding their experiences with transfers at UMR you might finally believe that there is a problem with the system and not the employees. Be honest and upfront with new hires and set the expectation that they will be on the phone more than they will be processing claims. Also if we were allowed more time off the phone we could actually get more claims processed and likely reduce the call volume from repeat callers.

3. customer service

Former Employee - Customer First Representative in Wausau, WI
    Former Employee - Customer First Representative in Wausau, WI

I worked at UMR (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay and benefits with potential performance based rewards.

Cons

Stressful and expect significant OT.

5. An Okay Place to Gain Experience

Former Employee - Cfr in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Cfr in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at UMR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is good to work here for experience in health care.

Cons

High turn over rates, a lot of work with little pay, low morale

Advice to Management

Split the CFR position in 2. Someone should either take calls or process claims, not both. It will lessen turn over

6. Stress comes at you in all directions with no relief from upper management.

Pros

Pros United health care affiliated.

Cons

Supervision of the customer service department is out of hand, rude and unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Get a handle on your department and turn a war zone environment into a pleasant atmosphere before you loose more employees.

Stable but mostly soulcrushing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY

I worked at UMR full-time

Pros

I was allowed to wear jeans to work and never worried about losing such an easy job.

Cons

Management hides behind a closed door most of the day (if she's even there). The compensation was abysmal for the job title and market. Almost nonexistent diversity in the work place. Never-ending corporate red-tape preventing any sort of problem resolution. "Career advancement" wasn't an option.

Advice to Management

You don't provide workers with any reason to stay besides filling the gap until a better job comes along or paying for their tuition (to find a better job). It's not the work that makes them want to leave either.

Customer First Representative Claims and Calls

Pros

PTO/8 paid holidays/great company atmosphere/health benefits incentives

Cons

The pay does not equal the work load

16 week training for call center

Current Employee - Customer First Representative in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Customer First Representative in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at UMR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are pretty fantastic. The training is a long time but you get to know your training class well. For the most part, once your shift is up, you are done for the day. You must ask for permission to work overtime.

Cons

It's a call center, for sure. If you are okay with people calling and complaining all day long, this is for you. You don't get paid enough for the amount of calls that are negative. However, there is incentive for positive reviews. If you ask off within enough time, you will be fine but if you call off... you will pay for it.

Advice to Management

Lighten up.

Not what would expect

Pros

Nice building and location. Plenty of restaurants nearby if have the time to eat out

Cons

Seemed like a the main goal was to deny claims. Subrogation was the dept that got the most accolades. If it could be workers comp issue all the better. Always do more with less seemed to be the motto. I was there a couple years ago so hopefully things have improved.

Advice to Management

Evaluate supervisors with more care. Morale seemed low in many departments.

11. UMR

I have been working at UMR full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I like the dept I work in

Cons

wage is less than other employers in this area

RSS Feed </> Embed