UMUC Reviews

• Any Status
Employment Status

Reset
CEO

Pros
  • Tuition remission is a nice benefit (in 9 reviews)

• Great benefits when it comes to having your schooling paid for while your with UMUC (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • It is basically a call center environment (in 6 reviews)

• Poor communication from upper management (in 5 reviews)

1. Great for hard workers

Current Employee - Advisor in Adelphi, MD
    Current Employee - Advisor in Adelphi, MD

I have been working at UMUC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tuition remission; easy to get noticed if you do a great job; lots of time off;

Cons

Lots of time spent on telephones; too many whiners

Advice to Management

Keep adding the new jobs so we can earn promotions; hold people accountable and fire the people who can't do their share of the work

2. Admissions Counselor

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Adelphi, MD
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Adelphi, MD

I worked at UMUC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people who work with you are great and very supportive A good amount of leave

Cons

Micro-managing leadership Stressful environment Resembles a call-center

Advice to Management

Allowing more communication to better train advisors and grow in their communication to offer adequate expectations

3. Faculty Assistant

I have been working at UMUC

Pros

Great faculty, great students, great classes which make for an excellent learning experience. A wonderful opportunity that's convenient and reasonably priced.

Cons

Students need to converse more and ask more questions

5. Great experience.

Former Contractor - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Adelphi, MD
    Former Contractor - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Adelphi, MD

I worked at UMUC as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, good benefits, diverse.

Cons

State job, so budget cuts are a reality.

Not my favorite place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Adelphi, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Adelphi, MD

I worked at UMUC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed my immediate team of coworkers. The benefits were great.

Cons

There was a lot of politics and disputes between offices that interfered with work. Seemed to be more focus on blaming than working out solutions to problems.

Advice to Management

Be more supportive of employees

7. UMUC

Current Employee - Cyber Instructor in Adelphi, MD
    Current Employee - Cyber Instructor in Adelphi, MD

I have been working at UMUC

Pros

Online environment works well with professional students. Online interface is convenient and instructor interaction effective for working adults. Knowledgeable instruction with experienced teaching staff.

Cons

Online environment tool needs an upgrade but effective. Class size is above average but manageable.

Advice to Management

Decrease class size to make it more manageable for instructors and effective for students.

Software Developer within IT department

Former Employee - Senior Developer in Adelphi, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in Adelphi, MD

I worked at UMUC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

State retirement benefits are good if you stay for seven years, three or more weeks of leave when you start, opportunities to learn, tuition remission benefits

Cons

Lower than average salary, overzealous CIO has nearly everyone working overtime, too many meetings to discuss new or ongoing projects, teams constantly being downsized, real money goes into outsourced development (e.g. PeopleSoft, Java), too many legacy systems, difficult to get app released to production, inter-department politics slow things down, too many generals (managers) and not enough soldiers (developers, engineers), too much obsession with ITIL and agile, the economics of university enrollments can affect employment at any given moment

Advice to Management

Have CIO improve employee morale and simplify the system rather than complicate it

9. Great, until the current IT leadership came on board and IT infrastructure was outsourced

Former Employee - IT Department in Adelphi, MD
    Former Employee - IT Department in Adelphi, MD

I worked at UMUC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The IT staff was loyal and dedicated to keeping the existing online learning systems up and running. The IT staff understood the university's mission and had a personal investment in making sure the online learning experience was the best it could be given that WebTycho is dated and should've been abandoned long ago.

Cons

I will say that UMUC has never had good IT leadership This is mostly due to the fact that the academic side has no real understanding of the importance of IT. Their only concern is, "are the systems up and accessible". They also had a bad habit of promoting from within and moving people up into prominent positions even though they had never worked anywhere other than UMUC ... since graduating college. The President's office never had a sense of urgency to replace WebTycho with Blackboard or another off-the-shelf product so they could focus on the content and features offered to the students. They dumped way too much money in keeping WebTycho and Peoplesoft limping along. Now instead of making the correct changes, they want to put the university's main asset in the cloud. This is wrong on so many levels, not to mention all the money wasted on building a new top-of-the-line data center in 2012.

Advice to Management

The university needs to drop current IT leadership like a bad habit. They are using the IT department as a lab experiment gone horribly wrong. They have no direction or idea how to give the students an online learning environment that will make the school the leader it once was. Furthermore, there is at least one IT job posting with a requirement that the prospective applicant "be comfortable with ambiguity". That is a ridiculous requirement and clearly illustrates that they haven't got a clue. They don't understand or care that the entire University cannot be run from the cloud. They also need a President who understands and promotes the important role IT plays in UMUC's success. UMUC is not only a university, it is mostly an Application Service Provider ... they don't understand that.

Good benefits (state employee), apathetic management

Current Employee - Staff in Adelphi, MD
    Current Employee - Staff in Adelphi, MD

I have been working at UMUC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you can get on as "permanent," the benefits are good-- leave time, health insurance. I work remotely and don't have to commute and can work from anywhere with Internet. I like working with students and professors-- good people. State benefits are good. Pay is not bad for working online. I've learned a lot from the work. Tuition reimbursement.

Cons

There are too many administrators. It's really crazy. This department has 6 administrators and fewer than 20 staff. The administrators do very little work from what I can see. A couple are quite hostile and actually resent the better workers. No one seems ever to evaluate the administrators, though they're constantly evaluating the staffers. No one in 7 years has ever asked me about whether the administrators are helpful to our job. Also, there's some wage theft going on. The pay's okay so I've stopped complaining, but I frequently have to work more than I'm allowed to bill. Also, I was a "temporary employee" for about 3 years, apparently so that I wouldn't get access to benefits. I think both of those are illegal, but no one's paying attention, and when I mentioned this to HR, they ignored me. But the pay is okay for online work.

11. A great place for high title management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Adelphi, MD

I have been working at UMUC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are in leadership your salary is almost guaranteed to be 100k

Cons

Not loyal to their employees - especially the low level staff. Promotions rarely happen...

RSS Feed </> Embed