UMUC

UMUC Reviews

Updated November 12, 2014
Updated November 12, 2014

CEO

Pros
  • Tuition remission even though shrinking was good (in 9 reviews)

• Great benefits when it comes to having your schooling paid for while your with UMUC (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Academic Advisors are little more than call center representatives (in 6 reviews)

• Poor communication from upper management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Field Representative - UMUC Europe

Former Employee - Field Representative
    Former Employee - Field Representative

I worked at UMUC part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The flexibility for time-off was the biggest reason for me to stay with UMUC Europe for almost 4.5 years. As long as the office was covered and we weren't in a registration period, I could take time off for traveling. Our office environment was great and working remotely with our headquarters was pretty easy. Most of the headquarters staff did anything they could to support the field representatives. Another bonus was being able to work on my graduate program with their tuition reimbursement benefit.

Cons

The pay at UMUC Europe wasn't great and sometimes it can be difficult to get things done quickly when your'e at a remote site.

I think it would really benefit UMUC Europe if they could invest in a yearly or every other year conference for Field Representatives to meet and discuss ideas for improvement of the university. Field Representatives work daily with students, faculty and community leaders and might have some really great suggestions for university leaders. UMUC Europe needs more communication channels for reps.

Adjunct Professor

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Largo, MD
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Largo, MD

I have been working at UMUC part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Online, people friendly, and diverse faculty

Cons

NOne that I can think of

Just keep up the superb leadership work!

Mostly good

I worked at UMUC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There were a lot of opportunities to gain responsibility and knowledge. Tuition remission even though shrinking was good. The vision and goals set by the top were great.

Cons

There were limited opportunities for advancement and raises were non-existent for most. Although the vision was great the execution of the plan was lacking.

MyUMUC needs a complete redesign. There are a lot of good people that can do great work internally. True innovation doesn't come from outsourcing everything.

Incompetent IT Management

I worked at UMUC full-time

Pros

Great salary and benefits package. Coworkers were very nice.

Cons

Poor management, Inconsistent in their requirements for the job. Top management mainly came from the same place so they don't seem to listen to others.

Listen to the people you have hired, they may have a point.

Needs Top-Down Reform

I have been working at UMUC full-time

Pros

Great benefits and leave accrual.

Cons

So much politics at top management such that all possibilities for upward mobility/growth is non-existent. It is up to the point where top executives now bring in who they know on the outside. Running random projects all over the place while firing people at the same time thus wearing others out resulting in further resignations.

The CIO and most other top executives do not know a thing about their roles and eed to go.

Best place to learn how NOT to run an organization.

Former Employee - Academic Advisor in Largo, MD
    Former Employee - Academic Advisor in Largo, MD

I worked at UMUC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers become like family. Tuition remission is a nice benefit. You get a decent amount of PTO as well.

Cons

In order to be successful, you have to suck up to the right people. You are nothing more than an expendable resource. Management doesn't care about their employees and good luck getting your leave requests approved. The office politics are enough to make you pull your hair out. Avoid this organization at all costs if you're able to.

Management needs a complete overhaul. UMUC needs to hire people who actually care about their employees and their students. Rather than retaining top talent, UMUC forces them out via lack of job opportunities and upward mobility, layoffs, and firing people for no reason at all. Advisors are worked into the ground and receive no thanks.

Great, until the current IT leadership came on board and IT infrastructure was outsourced

Former Employee - IT Department in Adelphi, MD
    Former Employee - IT Department in Adelphi, MD

I worked at UMUC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The IT staff was loyal and dedicated to keeping the existing online learning systems up and running. The IT staff understood the university's mission and had a personal investment in making sure the online learning experience was the best it could be given that WebTycho is dated and should've been abandoned long ago.

Cons

I will say that UMUC has never had good IT leadership This is mostly due to the fact that the academic side has no real understanding of the importance of IT. Their only concern is, "are the systems up and accessible". They also had a bad habit of promoting from within and moving people up into prominent positions even though they had never worked anywhere other than UMUC ... since graduating college. The President's office never had a sense of urgency to replace WebTycho with Blackboard or another off-the-shelf product so they could focus on the content and features offered to the students. They dumped way too much money in keeping WebTycho and Peoplesoft limping along. Now instead of making the correct changes, they want to put the university's main asset in the cloud. This is wrong on so many levels, not to mention all the money wasted on building a new top-of-the-line data center in 2012.

The university needs to drop current IT leadership like a bad habit. They are using the IT department as a lab experiment gone horribly wrong. They have no direction or idea how to give the students an online learning environment that will make the school the leader it once was. Furthermore, there is at least one IT job posting with a requirement that the prospective applicant "be comfortable with ambiguity". That is a ridiculous requirement and clearly illustrates that they haven't got a clue. They don't understand or care that the entire University cannot be run from the cloud. They also need a President who understands and promotes the important role IT plays in UMUC's success. UMUC is not only a university, it is mostly an Application Service Provider ... they don't understand that.

So much squandered potential

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Largo, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Largo, MD

I worked at UMUC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are great, the facilities are modern. The pay was actually decent, not horrible. There was never any raises, but that didn't bother me too much.

Cons

The higher-ups are completely disconnected from what happens on a daily basis. They make ridiculous decisions about how we should do our jobs.

Spend a week in the trenches doing our jobs before you try to figure out how to manage us.

Good benefits (state employee), apathetic management

Current Employee - Staff in Adelphi, MD
    Current Employee - Staff in Adelphi, MD

I have been working at UMUC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you can get on as "permanent," the benefits are good-- leave time, health insurance.
    I work remotely and don't have to commute and can work from anywhere with Internet.
    I like working with students and professors-- good people.
    State benefits are good.
    Pay is not bad for working online.
    I've learned a lot from the work.
    Tuition reimbursement.

Cons

There are too many administrators. It's really crazy. This department has 6 administrators and fewer than 20 staff. The administrators do very little work from what I can see. A couple are quite hostile and actually resent the better workers. No one seems ever to evaluate the administrators, though they're constantly evaluating the staffers. No one in 7 years has ever asked me about whether the administrators are helpful to our job.
    Also, there's some wage theft going on. The pay's okay so I've stopped complaining, but I frequently have to work more than I'm allowed to bill. Also, I was a "temporary employee" for about 3 years, apparently so that I wouldn't get access to benefits. I think both of those are illegal, but no one's paying attention, and when I mentioned this to HR, they ignored me. But the pay is okay for online work.

A global organization with a promising future, IF...

Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator
    Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator

I have been working at UMUC full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent brand. Excellent educational benefits. Good work life balance. Great opportunities for travel if you work with one of the overseas branches. Has a satisfying mission.

Cons

Poor execution. Unhealthy political climate.

Faculty and staff should be able to communicate the organization's value proposition and know how he or she contributes to that value.

UMUC Photos

University of Maryland University College's Student and Faculty Services Center. (Photo thanks to Flickr user greatdegree, available under by-sa v2.0)

+ Add Photo