UMUC

UMUC Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Pros
  • Great benefits, good vacation time, decent training opportunities(in 6 reviews)

• Working with the students and free education(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Academic Advisors are little more than call center representatives(in 6 reviews)

• Little to no advancement opportunities(in 3 reviews)

Wonderful Experiential Learning Program

Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) Largo, MD

ProsOnline courses in state-of-the-art system, attentive professors, credit for experiences with completed EXCL 301 and evaluated portfolio

Cons8 week term means a lot of hours during each week to complete courses

As a Professor's Assistant, I am able to inspire students giving them new ideas and keep fresh on current EMS's

Professor's Assistant (Current Employee) Silver Spring, MD

ProsProfessors are easy to work with and value your helping students, as well as considerate of ideas and suggestions. Online teaching. I learn with the students and their sponsors as we research various environmental management systems.

ConsOnline teaching can be impersonal.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should consider more aggressive methods of increasing the reputation of the school and its degrees.

Working at UMUC was excellent

Call Center Agent (Former Employee) Largo, MD

ProsManagers and Co-Workers were great to work with.

ConsScheduling was very tough to work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease allow better times for workers that need to adjust their schedules to match home life.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent place to teach

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) Adelphi, MD

ProsHaving taught courses for a number of different schools both ground and online, it's nice to work with a place like UMUC that does it right. Instructors are treated fairly, our opinions are valued, and compensation is fair (at least for the discipline in which I teach).

ConsNone -- I love it here. Only wish I could get in full time

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great place to work at.

ProsRelaxed environment with great educational and leave benefits.

Consstate agency, limited opportunity for pay raises

Great place, great people, and why did I leave again??

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Adelphi, MD

ProsThe people, professional environment, and even ambiance... Even though that sounds a bit strange! The facilities are all extremely up-dated and technology is second to none.

ConsLocation is not metro-accessible and very difficult to get to if you don't have a car. I probably would not have accepted a job there if I didn't have one.

Wonderful adjunct faculty training

Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) College Park, MD

ProsProvides high levle training and support for new adjunct faculty

ConsClasses must be staffed five-weeks in advance. This delays getting "on the job".

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is doing a great job. Keep up the good work.

Very rewarding university teaching position

Professor (Current Employee) Heidelberg, Baden-Wurttemberg (Germany)

ProsEuropean, Middle East and Asian Travel. Teaching at various bases and facilities in the area.

ConsLow academic salary compared to professorships in the United States

Decent Place to Work

Financial Aid Counselor (Current Employee) Largo, MD

ProsBest things to look forward to as a regular, non-contractual employee.

1) Leave. 5 weeks of paid leave is ridiculous for a starting position or any mid-career position. Most other universities don't even offer that until 15-20 years of service.
    2) Tuition Remission.

These two make working here and the lower amount of pay worth it.

ConsLargo is hard to get to, so commutes can be difficult. Although it is right off of the beltway and that makes things a lot easier.

The pay is decent, I'm satisified.

ProsI like the freedom you are given.

ConsThe caliber of student isn't the best.

Worked for UMUC? Contribute to the Community!