UMass Boston

Be The First To
Add Photos

Excellent and fantastic work-environment

Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsVery encouraging co-workers and gorgeous office location around the bay

ConsLow pay and decentralized IT

Advice to Senior ManagementHave an integrated IT environment

Data Entry

ProsWork in the summer slows down.

ConsThe job becomes monotonous and overwhelming.

good place

Prosnice professor, good school, good food court

ConsNone, has to work hard and pay a lot attention

Advice to Senior Managementwork hard

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

UMass provides wonderful opportunities.

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe University offers flexible hours and a decent pay scale for its graduate assistants. The culture of the campus gets better every year.

ConsThe parking situation is tough. The University is also currently undergoing massive construction projects, so the campus is a bit of a mess. Looking forward to when the construction is done!

Some pro's but many more con's if you are a highly qualified academic and tries to fit in the low quality environment.

Lecturer (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsStill a part of "academic community"

ConsReally low pay, typical of adjunct positions -- we do better job teaching and research than the tenured faculty who never does research and are horrible teachers, and yet paid 1/10th as much with no job security. The quality and standard of people is rather low, to be expected of a bottom tier university. People pretend they are on par with normal universities in the area such as BU BC Tufts etc. and this shows up as innate insecurity amongst some faculty members. For instance, incompetent department chair *actively* obstructs better qualified candidate in hiring decisions. Very short-sighted and doesn't care about the people or the overall quality, with a toxic guise of "professorial niceness"

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you can find elsewhere, find elsewhere.

Quick to hire, Slooooooow to fire

ProsJob security, OK pay, great work/life balance. My boss is fantastic and supportive.

ConsUMB has a lot of problems. Staff are incredibly protected by the PSU (union partnered with the MTA) which means that employees are able to slack off, do minimum amounts of work and not be worried that they will be fired. I have overheard co-workers state, numerous times, "I'm passed my probation period. PSU covers me, management can't do anything to me." Those are the types of people you will be working along side here at UMB.

I work with a lot of incompetent under-performers, but nobody seems to care or wants to enforce the employee review process. My understanding is that there isn't actually a standardized or enforced employee review process so nobody does it. Employees are not held accountable for their actions, many have have their own hidden agendas and it makes for a very poor working environment.

At least 10 times a week I find myself seriously wondering how some of the people around me still have jobs.

There is little to no room to grow - you need to leave your current position (sometimes entire college) in order to obtain more responsibility at a higher pay grade.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart reviewing employees! Document bad behavior and mistakes - don't let bad employees stay in the system. UMB is a commuter college - perhaps start giving commuter benefits (discounted MBTA passes) to employees?

Very good

ProsGood place to work and encouraging atmosphere

ConsI did not find any cons at this place.

working in higher education will not make you wealthy

ProsTuition reimbursement, holidays, events, benefits, vision, dental, pension plan

Conssalary is poor, traffic and parking are poor

Research Assistant

Research Associate (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsCollaborative and diverse working environment with lots of exciting growth in the near future.

ConsIt is a state school and so the politics that comes with that can be frustrating.

Graduate Assistant

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsVery generous package. I am very satisfied with the job

ConsNot really any cons. I am very satisfied with the job

Worked for UMass Boston? Contribute to the Community!