UMass Memorial Medical Center

Add Photos

UMass Memorial Medical Center President & CEO John O’Brien

John O’Brien

Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation is fair in the beginning but increases are very slow

ConsManagement does not seem to value employees, longevity or loyalty.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow employees that they are valued.

Laboratory Medicine

Phlebotomist (Former Employee) Worcester, MA

ProsHigher pay scale than most

ConsDisorganized. Bad financial decisions cost many their jobs in this area.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. They perform the job daily. Get rid of dead wood in management with high salaries.

Medical Assistant

ProsBig company with lots of jobs.

ConsFound it to be a hostile work environment.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent job, wish I was still working there!

Supply Coordinator I (Former Employee) Worcester, MA

ProsHigh pay scale, Union job, good health benefits package, liberal time off policy, are just some of the pros of working at UMassMemorial.

ConsDisagreements between co-workers are not solved. No good problem resolution system in place to resolve problems between co-workers.The only system in place is for disputes between workers and management, union is not set up for,and can't effectively resolve, disputes between union co-workers. This problem needs to be addressed.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise UMassMemorial to look at improving their problem resolution systems and make them more effective.

Opened doors for future opportunities

ProsYou meet really great people. It is a decent atmosphere, but more can be done to better the facility.

ConsThe medical center is a work in progress. A lot needs to be done to make it an upper echelon facility. Management needs to be proactive instead of reactive. They also don't want to spend any money to make things better.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees and get their feedback before making decisions that you won't know the repercussions of when changes are made or going to be made.

Meh

Pharmacist (Former Employee) Worcester, MA

ProsEven though they are shrinking, there are still great and competitive benefits

ConsSalary, and the current directors of pharmacy are not to be trusted. They are expected to retire within the next five years, which may drastically improve the

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace the current directors of pharmacy at the University and Memorial campuses. They are ineffective managers of people, uninspiring, and, in the case of the Memorial director, create an air of mistrust by pitting current employers against one another and lies when it suits him in an effort to preserve his own job security.

Decent benefits

ProsGood benefit package, generous vacation time.

ConsParking fees, or limited parking in general

Ancillary Applications

Clinical Applications Analyst (Current Employee) Worcester, MA

ProsAbility to move to different applications, lots of work, work/life balance, people that you support are great, physicians, RN's are all willing to learn technology.

ConsUnable to move ahead, merit increases are small, management is controlling, mico-management, no ability to think and make decisions based upon situation, Anillary team fell apart and all new hires are on board. New Soarian system has a significant amout of downtime which impacts the ancillary departments. Not sure why they chose to move from Meditech to Soarian when a majority of large orginizations are going to Epic.

Advice to Senior ManagementBelieve in the talent that you have and quit outsourcing

review

Secretary (Current Employee) Worcester, MA

ProsNice people, great benefits, close to home.

ConsDespite whatever skills and education you acquire over time, they really want you to stay in the same job forever.

Advice to Senior ManagementMentor other institutions (not only hospitals) who are progressing even in this economy.

Interesting

Lead Laboratory Tech (Former Employee) Worcester, MA

ProsStill trying to figure that out

ConsMedical coverage isn't comparable to other hospitals
    Colleagues and managers should be better qualified
    Little room for advancement

Advice to Senior Managementinvest in your employees and provide mandatory training on "how to supervise, lead, direct others"

Worked for UMass Memorial Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!