UMass Memorial Medical Center

Be The First To
Add Photos

UMass Memorial Medical Center President & CEO John O’Brien

John O’Brien

Decent opportunity to advance if you have the right licenses

RPSGT (Former Employee)

I worked at UMass Memorial Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe coworkers made for a nice work atmosphere

ConsUnion vs non union sometimes created uncertainties between management and employees

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees with ideas on how to keep the business moving forward

Mismanaged finanically therefore they treat their employees terribly, especially the RNs

Registered Nurse (Former Employee)

I worked at UMass Memorial Medical Center full-time for more than 8 years

ProsLevel 1 trama center in central ma.

ConsThey have scaled there education back for RNs because of a lack of funds.
They do not value their employees and are trying to pull back on benefits to save money.
Severe micromanagement and zero autonomy. Ranked the worse Emergency Dept in the state of MA. Vascular surgery dept unsafe.
If umass had their way they would hire uneducated individuals from 3rd world country's so they would not pay them. Equivalent to sweatshop mentality of patient care.

Advice to Senior ManagementUmass was once a fabulous hospital to work and to receive medical care. I would clean house at the very top of management before it files for chapter 11. The RNs are your #1 assets.

Food Service Cateferia

Cafeteria Worker (Current Employee)
Worcester, MA

I have been working at UMass Memorial Medical Center part-time for more than 5 years

ProsHalf price on food, free coffe and fountain drinks. You get to interact with a lot of people that could help you later on in life.

ConsCan get very busy. Poor management, and communications. Needs a better training program

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more often to employees.

Shrinking company with poor financial planning and lacks strong process and quality improvement."

Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at UMass Memorial Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat experience while it was growing.

ConsIt's in debt and currently shrinking.

Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at UMass Memorial Medical Center

ProsCompensation is fair in the beginning but increases are very slow

ConsManagement does not seem to value employees, longevity or loyalty.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow employees that they are valued.

Laboratory Medicine

Phlebotomist (Former Employee)

I worked at UMass Memorial Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHigher pay scale than most

ConsDisorganized. Bad financial decisions cost many their jobs in this area.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. They perform the job daily. Get rid of dead wood in management with high salaries.

Medical Assistant

I have been working at UMass Memorial Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBig company with lots of jobs.

ConsFound it to be a hostile work environment.

Excellent job, wish I was still working there!

Supply Coordinator I (Former Employee)

I worked at UMass Memorial Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHigh pay scale, Union job, good health benefits package, liberal time off policy, are just some of the pros of working at UMassMemorial.

ConsDisagreements between co-workers are not solved. No good problem resolution system in place to resolve problems between co-workers.The only system in place is for disputes between workers and management, union is not set up for,and can't effectively resolve, disputes between union co-workers. This problem needs to be addressed.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise UMassMemorial to look at improving their problem resolution systems and make them more effective.

Opened doors for future opportunities

I have been working at UMass Memorial Medical Center for more than 8 years

ProsYou meet really great people. It is a decent atmosphere, but more can be done to better the facility.

ConsThe medical center is a work in progress. A lot needs to be done to make it an upper echelon facility. Management needs to be proactive instead of reactive. They also don't want to spend any money to make things better.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees and get their feedback before making decisions that you won't know the repercussions of when changes are made or going to be made.

Meh

Pharmacist (Former Employee)

I worked at UMass Memorial Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

ProsEven though they are shrinking, there are still great and competitive benefits

ConsSalary, and the current directors of pharmacy are not to be trusted. They are expected to retire within the next five years, which may drastically improve the

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace the current directors of pharmacy at the University and Memorial campuses. They are ineffective managers of people, uninspiring, and, in the case of the Memorial director, create an air of mistrust by pitting current employers against one another and lies when it suits him in an effort to preserve his own job security.

Worked for UMass Memorial Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UMass Memorial Medical Center reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UMass Memorial Medical Center CEO John O’Brien. All 38 reviews posted anonymously by UMass Memorial Medical Center employees.