UMass Memorial Medical Center

Employment Status

Reset
1.0
Eric Dickson, MD

Pros
  • They offer great benefits although paid time off is earned rather than a set amount each year (in 4 reviews)

• Great benefits - lots of time off (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Union vs non union sometimes created uncertainties between management and employees (in 2 reviews)

• Equivalent to sweatshop mentality of patient care (in 2 reviews)

ED Registration Review

Current Employee - Registration Representative in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Registration Representative in Worcester, MA

I have been working at UMass Memorial Medical Center (More than a year)

Pros

They pay very well compared to the other hospitals in the area

Cons

My department is terribly managed, the hospital is too big and things just don't get accomplished. My department is experiencing a lot of budget cuts so we often go without breaks.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees!

2. Director

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

Pros

Decent pay depending on the department, good location away from Boston so the commute may be more tolerable depending on where you live

Cons

This is such a toxic work environment. I have worked in two different departments and it's terrible.

Advice to Management

It's so bad I wouldn't know where to start. I guess the first thing would be to revire the people that have worked there for 30 - 40 years and see if they are still contributing at the level they should be.

3. Mismanaged finanically therefore they treat their employees terribly, especially the RNs

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Worcester, MA

I worked at UMass Memorial Medical Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Level 1 trama center in central ma.

Cons

They have scaled there education back for RNs because of a lack of funds. They do not value their employees and are trying to pull back on benefits to save money. Severe micromanagement and zero autonomy. Ranked the worse Emergency Dept in the state of MA. Vascular surgery dept unsafe. If umass had their way they would hire uneducated individuals from 3rd world country's so they would not pay them. Equivalent to sweatshop mentality of patient care.

Advice to Management

Umass was once a fabulous hospital to work and to receive medical care. I would clean house at the very top of management before it files for chapter 11. The RNs are your #1 assets.

Medical Assistant

I have been working at UMass Memorial Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Big company with lots of jobs.

Cons

Found it to be a hostile work environment.

Low pay, employees are micro-managed, it's a wonder that anything gets done with so many meetings.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

Pros

Met some great people, decent vacation time.

Cons

Terrible pay. Work load doubled after a hiring freeze was put into place with no extra compensation. Different rules apply to different employees - double standard. Always have to watch your back. Plan on leaving for work at least 45 minutes earlier than expected due to the parking issues (and bring an extra coat for when you have to wait outside for a shuttle in the winter).

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect - all employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed