UNC Health Care Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.0
CEO

Pros
  • Flexible schedule and good benefits (in 8 reviews)

• State funded job with great benefits (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, little opportunity to move up (in 3 reviews)

• The lack of teamwork, the favoritism shown by the management, the lack of education for new employees (in 2 reviews)

Great place to work!!

Current Employee - HUC
    Current Employee - HUC

I have been working at UNC Health Care full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

UNC Healthcare has terrific benefits with generous time off. I really like the teamwork and caring atmosphere that shows in every department. Even my boss portrays those values with whomever she deals with.

Cons

Parking is a huge nightmare. I have to do their Park and Ride option due to the craziness of my work schedule. I wish I could park on campus which I understand is coming. Also, due to constantly being short-staffed in my job class in my department, I am constantly tired.

Advice to Management

Quit outsourcing jobs to 3rd parties. The Transfer Center for UNC is one thing that should be in- house. Also, hire more per dieums as HUCs in the ED. Finally, what can we do to reduce the heavy load of psychiatric patients in the ED? A free-standing psychiatric hospital might be in order.

Radiologic Technologist

Former Employee - Radiologic Technologist in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Radiologic Technologist in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at UNC Health Care full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Loved working and caring for patients. Showed gratitude for patient care. Great coworkers

Cons

Management restructured and turned into a negative work environment

Advice to Management

Care and respect employees

3. Love working here!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at UNC Health Care

Pros

Committed to rewarding performance, good benefits, many opportunities to gain new skills/advance

Cons

Parking is a problem, State agency...can result in some nonsense work, so large that decisions can take a long time,

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

5. Great job Great pay

Current Employee - Staff RN in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at UNC Health Care full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great job and they pay you for your years of experience. They offer tuition reimbursement to futher education. Once you get past the rotating of shifts and decide on day or night position it gets much better.

Cons

all 12 hour shifts and rotating shifts.

The Real on UNC Health Care

Former Employee - Administrative Support Specialist/Associate in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at UNC Health Care full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits provided through the State of North Carolina are very good, extremely helpful to those wanting to remain a vested state employee with a goal of retiring from the state. The health care system/hospital has grown in a climate where a lot of hospitals in the state have conducted massive re-orgs, employee lay-offs, and closures altogether. UNC Health Care's executive team has to be given proper credit for being able to manage this massive shift throughout the industry. Employee's on the support level are extremely wonderful to work with due in part they all collectively are subjected to the misery that comes along with working for the organization.

Cons

The reviews on Glassdoor seem to be somewhat fake and if you truly want to know an employee's overall satisfaction working for UNC Health Care, you would need to read the employee's Glad You Asked section which is only accessible to current/internal employees. Clearly UNC has either partnered with a thrid-party to post these glowing reviews, or they've enlisted their HR department to do so because the truth is, a large majority of employees at UNC are unsatisfied for a multitude of reasons. The office politics that occur throughout the system is evident and extremely prominent. Be prepared to experience a culture of fear, retribution, and isolation if you are brave enough to express any concerns you have about your job, your tasks, management's direction, etc.

The professional development opportunities are extremely varied depending on which department/job function you fall in to. To be very honest with you, depending on where you land as far as the position you work in, there probably will be an extremely low possibility that your direct supervisor/manager will invest time and or energy to aid in you building your professional experiences, due in part to fear you could ultimately do their job better than them, or make yourself more attractable to other opportunities within the organization. Your financial compensation depending again on what your job class is can either motivate you or dehumanize you. This is subjective depending on you, your level of education, experiences/background, and if it works for you. But once you are aware financially you are worth more and should be valued as such, having that conversation with your supervisor/manager will probably not go in your favor, and will put you on notice with your manager, who will then probably do whatever they can to marginalize you to the point where leaving the system altogether is more attractive.

The parking situation is what it is. The fact you will have to park/ride and pay for the park and ride option is ridiculous. Parking on campus or in the parking deck is a hustle, one that would probably take state legislation to step in and change how to manage those parking on campus. For new employees, be prepared for long waits for the bus, especially in the evening while classes are in session, and God forbid you have an emergency where you need to get to your car asap. This brings back so many bad memories.

Advice to Management

My personal advice to management. UNC as a whole is a wonderful place to work for because you truly are playing a part in helping those who are sick and seek treatment for their illness. That in itself is a rewarding experience. However, the culture at UNC is toxic and will have you questioning yourself, the direction you're going in, and could change who you are altogether. I witnessed first hand how individuals who truly are good people are turned into the most wicked, unethical, unprofessional individuals that you'll come across in your career. Unless there is a sweeping culture change at UNC Health Care, it will continue to be business as usual, so long as profits are high.

7. Stable, Profitable and Well Organized

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at UNC Health Care

Pros

By far the best benefits in the industry. UNC is a great place to work and the people and team are wonderful.

Cons

Like anywhere in the Triangle, corporate politics runs rampant. Too many people willing to step all over you to get ahead.

Advice to Management

You're outsourcing too much to 3rd parties. Bring it in-house and cut your expenses dramatically.

Great staff, terrible upper management

I have been working at UNC Health Care full-time

Pros

Amazing nurses, nursing aides, physicians, respiratory therapists, physical therapists, etc. I'm still proud to work for UNC and I believe in their mission.

Night and weekend shift differentials are much better than Duke's.

Cons

Upper management cares about one thing and one thing only: the bottom line. They disregard everything that is important to staff nurses, and their negligence is going to lead towards a serious patient incident at some point. Of course, they will make sure to deflect the blame off themselves in the event that this happens.

Upper management has no vision when they start new projects. Case in point: the beautiful new oncology hospital has a Starbucks but no stepdown or ICU beds available for patients who worsen (which is a LOT of them because they're all immunocompromised or getting chemo). So if a patient declines, they have to hang out and wait for a bed in another unit that is literally a half a mile away (not joking about that walking distance). This is a simple thing that could have been fixed had anyone actually asked doctors or nurses about what a new oncology hospital should have.

The parking situations is awful - you'll pay too much to park 20 minutes away and take a bus to work.

Advice to Management

Ask staff for feedback on problems and any changes you plan to make to patient care, equipment, charting, etc, and then actually take their feedback into account!! We're not just complaining about things to make your life harder - we're complaining about things because we know what patients need and you do not!

Excellent organization and terrific benefits

I have been working at UNC Health Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefit package is unmatched in the industry. Outstanding leadership fuels excellent financial performance which means I now work in a stable environment without the fear of layoffs around the corner. Great opportunity for advancing your career.

Cons

It is difficult to drive change in this large and heavily regulated organization. You must be patient and persistent. Senior leadership is rarely visable in my department. Department director has attended only one team meeting in two years.

10. Great company to work for! Excellent Benefits and awesome morale!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at UNC Health Care (More than 5 years)

Pros

Programs to help employees out in financial binds
    Programs to help during family crises
    A good place to start

Cons

Politics in some units and favoritism override accomplishments and hard work
    You are expendable, no matter what you believe
    They will not, under any circumstances, help you after you've left their employ
    If you are a single parent (especially male) be expected to fight for your job if you have to take off for your kids; even if that's twice a year.

Advice to Management

change some of it...the people, not just me, work hard to make the company look great and put in the hours...but favoritism rules in the end.

11. it was good.

I have been working at UNC Health Care

Pros

helpful, hard working, kind, steady , great place to work

Cons

none none none none none

RSS Feed </> Embed