UNC Wilmington

www.uncw.edu

UNC Wilmington Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014
UNC Wilmington – US – “UNCW Fisher Student Center”

A pleasant experience

Lifeguard (Current Employee) Wilmington, NC

ProsThe staff is very understanding and laid back while still maintaining a very professional atmosphere.

ConsThere is not alot of chances to progess into your field due to everyone at the school being in a very similar major. You have to be an elite choice for a job to obtain it. Makes it very challenging if you are an average student.

Solid State Job

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Wilmington, NC

ProsJob security with one of the few actual employers in town and great state benefits. Able to leave work at work.

ConsBeing a state employee means dealing with no raises, no flexibility, no chance for promotion as well as low departmental budgets.

Advice to Senior ManagementTurn over at the university has gotten to the point where we actually don't have solid management - we are loosing solid employees to other schools and private companies due to salary and better resources. This year alone we will have turn over with the Chancellor, Vice Chancellor for Business Affairs, Vice Chancellor for Human Resources and Director of Budgets not to mention many others.

Inadequate at best

ProsHealth insurance is okay, flu shots are free, the campus is lush with flowers and greenery which makes taking walks enjoyable and there are a few different lunch and breakfast venues to enjoy.

ConsAfter 3-years of applying for numerous positions I was well qualified for and not getting an interview in addition to speaking with other employees who've experienced similar outcomes, I've come to the painful conclusion that UNC Wilmington does NOT promote staff from within. The pay is mediocre at best as it barely covers my monthly financial obligations. We haven't had a raise in 4 - 5 years, work-life balance is unstable, office politics is often behind major and minute decisions, negative pettiness and outright slander occur often and dealing with unhelpful staff in other departments can eventually affect your outlook and daily task accomplishments. Some (many) faculty members often speak condescendingly to staff implying that their educational and/or social status somehow makes them better.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry promoting staff from within, find other inexpensive perks for staff since receiving pay raises isn't an option, try listening to suggestions with an open mind and immediately address pettiness and negativity so it doesn't affect those who are trying to work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice people, good students, beautiful town.

Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) Wilmington, NC

ProsGreat research is going on in some departments. Good faculty.

ConsSalaries are low even when regionally adjusted. Some administrators are shall-we-way problematic.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no shame in working WITH the faculty to advance the strategic goals of the university.

Great place to work, but the pay is not great

Assistant Director (Current Employee) Wilmington, NC

Pros* Relaxed atmosphere
    * Some good benefits, such as tuition waivers for one course per semester for employees.

Cons* The NC state budget has been in deficit for many years now, which translates to no cost of living raises for employees. Too many employees are earning 80% or less of what they should be.
    * No such thing as a merit raise or promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush for equity raises for as many of your staff as possible to keep morale high, and they will pay you back tenfold in productivity.

Rewarding

Instructor (Former Employee) Wilmington, NC

ProsMy colleagues and the staff were wonderful to work with. The students were mostly engaged in their studies and eager to learn.

ConsThe salaries were low compared to the amount of work involved. Office space was less than ideal, but I understand there has since been an improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease salaries of instructors; they fulfill an important role for the university.

Tutor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMy supervisor in the University Learning Center was very supportive and helpful.

ConsSometimes miscommunication you would expect from a large organization.

Great learning experience

Tutor (Former Employee)

Prosgreat atmosphere, work with your classes

Conswork can be boring, low pay

Mediocre at best

IT Analyst (Current Employee) Wilmington, NC

ProsMostly good people to work with. Working within an institution of higher learning allows good discussions on many different topics. Good balance between home and work life.

ConsNo room for growth...upper management does not seem to listen to those who are not in a managerial role. Salary is not competitive in some positions and departments are severely under staffed. Often told to you have to do more with less and less each year. Benefits are not that good.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people who actually do perform the implemented plans instead of more middle managers. Listen to those doing the work because they see more of the campus reaction than managers do.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Poor relationship between management and faculty

ProsBeautiful campus, nice students, great weather

ConsManagement issues, lack of trust issues

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop more trust

Worked for UNC Wilmington? Contribute to the Community!