UNESCO

Updated May 21, 2014

Not yet rated.

UNESCO Directrice générale Irina Bokova

Irina Bokova

Fulfilling experience in a dying organization that can offer few employment opportunities

Culture Sector Intern (Current Employee)
    New Delhi (India)

ProsBeing in a cluster office with a small staff allowed me to work on interesting and substantive projects. I was treated like an equal staff member, and my contributions were welcome.

ConsSometimes the bureaucracy of a UN agency hampered making actual progress in achieving the purported goals of the organization. Furthermore, since the United States stopped making contributions in 2011, the organization has suffered and hiring numbers are down as a result. Finally, UNESCO mostly provids technical assistance, allowing contractors to do the hands-on work on the ground.

Great place to work with no opportunities to stay

Research Assistant (Former Employee)
    Paris (France)

ProsColleagues are wonderful to work with, and in my experience were very helpful in getting me quickly acquainted with how the organization works and the hierarchies.

ConsUNESCO is suffering greatly from funding cuts and seems to only be hiring on very short term contracts at the moment. There is no opportunity for mobility or to be hired, which is why I left.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

culture of peace and non-violence.

Prosthe best reason that pushes me to work at UNESCO
    because I have worked as a volunteer for over 10 years and I am used to the way they work.

Conslack of pay, lack of protection in the event of an assignment of risk, lack of office equipment, lack of means of transport.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease kindly answer us a brief delays.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Assistant Programme Specialist

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStarted out with an internship.

ConsComplicated bureaucracy and budget woes.

Good if you like working for a Public Sector

Finance Analyst (Former Employee)
    Paris (France)

ProsGood salary -tax free, good pension, pays for schooling of kids, not much work load, good for moms, stress free

ConsMundane boring work, difficult to implement new ideas, loopholes in governance, sub-standard project implementations, petty politics, flabby organization, slow pace.

Advice to Senior ManagementSocial organizations should try to imbibe some positives of private sector - no compromise on governance, lean organization & work towards effective project implementation. Hiring some MBAs should help in efficient project implementation.

Awful place to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPart of UN with potential to make a difference in the world. It has done good work to some extent on the culture front.

ConsMost appointments are political and not transparent. Who knows who serve as criteria for career advancement. Critical thinking is not encouraged nor is merit. The organization is not really committed to social justice and the developing world. It is a self promoting mechanism for egocentric civil servants who will not bulge from its HQs.

Great place to learn, bogged down by bureaucracy

Assistant Programme Specialist (Former Employee)
    Paris (France)

Pros- Great place to learn about the ins and outs of international development, gain exposure to and participate in very interesting projects that have real impact, work in multicultural teams, and have access to and work alongside upper management (both within UNESCO and at Ministries, aid agencies, etc)
    - Stimulating environment if you are able to concentrate on specific projects and work closely with field offices on implementation
    - Opens other doors for further employment within the field; good contacts and networking opportunities
    - Great salary and benefits, exposure to diffierent cultures, opportunities to travel

Cons- Organization is incredibly bogged down by bureaucracy; many staff have lost motiavtion
    - Lack of transparency and slowness of decision-making processes from upper management
    - Need to have a lot of patience, have a proactive attitude and seek the most interesting opportunities in which to be involved
    - Most employment opportunities for staff are on short-term contractual bases which leads to a lot of turnover, job unsatisfaction, and difficulty to ensure sustability of projects if half of the project staff doesn't know if they will be employed

Advice to Senior Management- Reorganization should occur at the adminsitrative level -- too many people employed to oversee bureaucratic/administrative processes to the detriment of actual project work!
    - Let go of people past retirement age
    - Hire people that have had a variety of experience to help the organization think outside of the box and be back on its feet...too many people with the exact same experiences that are contect to implement projects in less than innovative ways

Overall an interesting learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsRewarding work and interesting colleagues

ConsExcessive bureaucracy and slow procedures

Involved in globally recognized work.

ProsHave credibility when dealing with outside partners
    Widely considered as a good cause.
    Plenty of goodwill towards the organization
    Interesting mandate
    Good benefits - conditions

ConsExtremely heavy administrative procedures - culture of control, not accountability
    Too much political meddling in hiring staff
    Too many staff have been there too long, doing the same thing, lacking motivation, vision
    Initiative is stifled
    Remnants of left wing anti-private sector - anti-american attitude from earlier days, but changing with new generation.
    Career advancement often a function of how much time one invests wooing the various decision-makers as opposed to carrying out one's duties effectively
    Plenty of staff are tired, unmotivated
    Currently in a financial crisis - many people have no budget for activities
    Too many central services staff in proportion to program delivery staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe willing to let some contracts expire and not be renewed
    Find fresh blood - don't extend people past retirement age

Ambassador of peace

Messenger of Manifest 2000 (Current Employee)
    Kinshasa (Democratic Republic of Congo)

Prosthe reasons why I work at UNESCO are multiple:
    because I'm already familiar with the method of work of this organization
    - I have a long experience of over 10 years with this organization in the field of human rights, culture of peace and non-violence
    - I'm trained by this organization
    - I'll feel free to UNESCO

Consdisadvantages in the workplace are much lack of pay, lack of office, lack of transportation, lack of medical care

Advice to Senior ManagementI can tell the senior management there is a problem of time that must be respected. I give the example to publish the winners of the culture of peace today 4 months. time must be regulated and also inform people who are in the program each time there is a change of something.

Worked for UNESCO? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UNESCO reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UNESCO CEO Irina Bokova. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by UNESCO employees.