UNICOM Government Reviews in Chantilly, VA

Updated August 13, 2014

2.7

Corry Hong

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good to work for, great employees, work hard

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Chantilly, VA

I worked at UNICOM Government full-time for more than a year

Pros

The commute is convenient, as they are close to Dulles Airport, so driving from MD, DC or parts of Northern VA are a "reverse commute" against traffic coming to DC. Great benefits, 401k is OK, training and certifications as needed. Diversified also.

Cons

Salary reviews were scheduled, but reflected the state of the company, industry and market. For key areas, the compensation was fair, but on the low side.

There was a complete change of senior staff/execs every 2 - 3 years as failures to deliver or meet corporate goals seemed to lead to quick radical changes, not focused leadership.

Good place to get a start in your sales career

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chantilly, VA

I worked at UNICOM Government

Pros

They will hire virtually anyone and will open doors to bigger and better positions with other companies

Cons

Poor management direction, brown-nosing works too well.

Listen to your employees, they are the heartbeat of the company.

Get your year or two of experience and move on to bigger and better companies.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative II  in  Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative II in Chantilly, VA

I worked at UNICOM Government

Pros

At GTSI you will get a pretty basic understanding of sales and the overall sales process.

Cons

GTSI is definitely the type of place to work for straight out of college. Get your year or two of experience and move on to bigger and better companies. This company is not at all on the pay scale of most other government IT sales companies. They try to get away with hiring people straight out of college to work for nothing. Then it's impossible to increase your salary significantly because they started you so low in the first place. They will try to promise you things that never happen and you have to fight for months to gain any ground for promotions or raises. There is also a huge amount of turnover and dissatisfaction amongst the employees.

Stop treating your employees like unintelligent college kids. Bring people on that you actually plan to train and develop into motivated sales people.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

GTSI Good benefits, Room for growth if you stick around.

Current Employee - Sales Engineer  in  Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at UNICOM Government

Pros

Very good benefits. You get big corporate relax time while working in mid-size company. There is also chances for promotion. Most people that work here 3-4 years get promoted. You do have to become good friends with people networking seems to be the key. Pay is alright, but it could always be better. They do 360 reviews that are supposedly supposed to help you. They offer Training although it seems basic. They have cool laptops that they provide you with, desks are great and they are moving to another tier 1 building which will be great. They have lots of quarterly meetings.

Cons

They need to hire more people. Sometimes you're gonna be bogged down. The lean strategy is tough sometimes. They also need to give better training. Everything is take it as it comes. Don't know how the 360 review actually affects anything. 401k does not give you too many options buti t is decent. Dental and vision benefits could be better. You are expecetd to work overtime and not be compensated if you are not in integrations. Outdoor parking is not great but that will be remedied with a move. MORE MONEY. who doesn't want more money? promised 10% increase, lets see how that goes.

Hire more people. There isn't erally much to say here. As always a lot of things are secretive.

Good Company - Poor Senior Management

Former Employee - Manager  in  Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in Chantilly, VA

I worked at UNICOM Government

Pros

The middle management and sales and technical staff have talent and support each other.

Cons

The Senior Management and Sales Management is lost. Four years without a profit and all Sales executives have been promoted in title and pay.

Replace themselves.

Dysfunctional Management

Former Employee - Client Executive  in  Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Client Executive in Chantilly, VA

I worked at UNICOM Government

Pros

As a sales rep I always had flexibility to manage personal life and business. There are a lot of good people throughout GTSI

Cons

The strategic direction of the company is not well planned or implemented. Everything is hard and done by force. Becomes a very draining place.

I'm not a management hater. You'll never see me complain about "execs getting bonuses while the little guy gets laid off". I spent 8 years at GTSI and I learned a lot, but I have to say if anything is holding that place back, it's management. Things seem to be done based on knee-jerk reactions and not based on strategy and know-how. Only after leaving and going to another company that does a good job of planning and executing on that plan, could I see how bad GTSI management is. IMHO, there has been a lot of favoritism in hiring, promotion, and protection of a small group at the top. Many newly-created VPs are some of the worse "Yes men" I've ever seen (no offense to the Yes Women in the group) and has led to poor strategy and execution. The company also does a terrible job at development in general, but especially with front-line managers who are expected to drive results to the bottom line. It's sad to say, but the best thing that ever happened to me, was leaving GTSI.

GTSI is good and bad: it's a great place for a male to work to buddy up with higher level mgrs & VP's.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative I  in  Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative I in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at UNICOM Government

Pros

GTSI is a good company and I feel is respected in the marketplace. Salaries can be competitive and with the right territory, you can succeed and make good money on commissions.

Cons

Turnover is huge. Employees aren't compensated well and work under a lot of stress (in my dept here). Sales organization is poorly run (again, in my dept). I know some employees that like working here but the majority don't and are ready to pursue employment elsewhere. I don't think the outside/remote reps are overall happy either.

I think Senior Mgmt is going in the right direction. I would say keep up the good work.

Trying to make it a better place to work

Current Employee - Transportation  in  Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Transportation in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at UNICOM Government

Pros

Seem to realize employees are a valuable asset. They try to make things fun and work to communicate the companies goals. I have been compensated fairly for my efforts and they are flexible regarding my work schedule. I have received great feedback from my managers and VP regarding my performance.

Cons

The industry were in is tough and transforming a company is a rocky road. Lack of communication betwen departments. It may sound cliche but they really need to develop some cross functional teams and worki at breaking down the silos. We all have the same goal, but I hear a lot of griping but no one steps up to the plate to do anything about it. A lot of people here are very inflexible. Not willing to invest in the right systems to improve information and efficencies.

Beat up the sales guy's and knock down the silos. The departments are very fragmented and no one seems to understand how the decisions they make impact other departments.

Senior Mngmnt must go!

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Chantilly, VA

I worked at UNICOM Government

Pros

Some great people and partners.

Cons

Terrible Senior Management who seemed to only care about themselves and thier own bonuses. How many times did anyone see Jim Leto walk the floor compared to Dendy? Way too many VPs for the size of the company.

Stop treating the company as your own piggy bank and getting bonuses when things are not improving. Sales keep going down Year over Year yet your bonuses are incredible. Jim Leto is over $3M in compensation according to the Washington Post yet the last time the company was profitable was in 2004! If you stopped paying yourselves so much thne the bottom line would look better.

Not quite a best place to work, but striving to get there

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at UNICOM Government

Pros

Great people; flexible working environment that lets you balance work and life.

Cons

systems, tools, and processes are somewhat inefficient...a lot of time is spent on dealing with internal issues

give us better tools

Worked for UNICOM Government? Contribute to the Community!