UNIT4 Reviews

Reset
3.3
UNIT4 CEO José Duarte
José Duarte

Pros
  • Very relaxed work / life balance, employees take vacation whenever they want to (in 4 reviews)

• It is a sound company with great products and is still capitalising on this reputation (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad management team in Singapore that didn (in 4 reviews)

• poor project planning and coordination (in 2 reviews)

OK people by me

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Vancouver, WA

I worked at UNIT4 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great solution Great people Great work/life balance Tons of autonomy

Cons

Distant senior management in Europe Focus on profitability, sales, utilization, etc might be too harsh for a new entrant to the United States

Advice to Management

Stay close to your employees.

Should I stay with the solid, unassuming one, or go for her younger, exciting, more attractive sister?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independent, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independent, LA

Pros

Working here today gives me an opportunity to make a mark on an organisation and to be part of an exciting journey. Almost having the feel of a new company, forming processes and thoughts for the first time. Its not perfect - plenty of mistakes are happening, but Unit4 has some great individuals which hopefully we can work with to build for the future. Company been taken in the right direction through senior management. They have a target, and makes us feel that we're part of the solution (not part of the problem) Company has some great customers, who really care about the product.

Cons

Office environment poor - stale and uninspiring. Needs to be a much greater focus on creativity and imagination. We've lost our company culture over the last couple of years - since the cuts began. Employees are not inspired about Unit4 as a brand, currently neither are our customers. Much greater investment needs to be made in our identity - both internal and external - every employee should be proud to work here, but alas, this isn't the case. Comparably low level of benefits and 'life balance'. Chronically low investment in social activity, little collaboration between departments and some individuals causing more problems than they solve.

Advice to Management

Decide where you want to be. If we want to be a world class organisation, investment must be made all around the company. We are not proud of this company, but instead we relate only to the products we work for (Agresso, Coda etc). However, the big question is - if you were a new employee, should you work for Unit4 or Financial Force. With their respective levels of investment, their work/life balance, and ultimately their potential, on current terms it would be Financial Force. To go to the next level, this needs changing - and fast. Solve that, then this company will go far.

Beware: Amateur. Unprofessional. Irrelevant. Homogenous.

Former Employee - Product Marketing Director in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Director in Boston, MA

I worked at UNIT4 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some nice people. The office in Utrecht is very cool and attractive.

Cons

Where shall I begin? Quite possibly the worst corporation I have ever worked for. They will work you to the bone and make you question why you joined the entire time you are there. You will feel empowered in the beginning, and then realize very quickly that they simply don't have their act together. Managers don't have formal training and basically just wing it in a lot of cases. Executives are all mostly cut from the same cloth. SAP lite, anyone? And how about some diversity? There is very little diversity and it is embarrassing for a global organization. It's the perfect example of the "old boy network." The management team is disconnected from reality. They really believe they are a player in the world of enterprise software. They are not. The lack of leadership over the years and the arrogance of those who have been around for most of this company's history has stunted their growth for almost 3 decades. The current direction is ambitious, but it's questionable whether they have (or can keep) the right talent to get them to the next level. There's a lot of stale talent that has been around for many years, and they have yet to join the rest of the world in the new millennium. Some are smart, but headstrong and stuck in their ways. New ideas are welcome, but rarely implemented. Quite frankly, I have never heard of Unit4 until I interviewed with them. You probably have never heard of them either...and are looking to gain insight through this review. Do yourself a favor, and pass on these guys. They're very messy and unprofessional internally. While some processes are in place, they have a long way to go... The company is privately held with a potential exit strategy that will only make the executive team rich. The everyday workers will be left behind. If you want to take a chance, go do it somewhere where you have the opportunity to be part of some financial gain if the company is acquired or has an IPO. This is not the place. Lastly, have you ever wondered why you've likely never heard of Unit4? They're irrelevant. Plain and simple. I've worked for Fortune 100 and other well known companies in my career. The one blemish on my resume is Unit4.

Advice to Management

If you want to attract top talent and keep them, treat them with respect. Offer transparency. Communicate more effectively. Get off your high horses and know what concerns your employees have and issues everyday workers face. Share the wealth. If Unit4 is acquired or goes public, employees should benefit from this. Sadly, your current plan only allows for a few of you to do well. Selfishness is a bad way to go. Carefully consider who you allow to manage employees. Some of your managers simply do not have the skills to lead. Just because they have been there for 20+ years doesn't mean they are leaders or effective managers. Open your minds. Diversify. Whether it's women or people of color, diversify. Be open to women in positions of influence, not just administrative roles. Be open to people of different backgrounds. If and when you can convince them to work for Unit4, don't run them off. There's a lot more work to do to be relevant on a global scale.

UNIT4 Response

Aug 11, 2015 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your response. Clearly the experience was not good for you and we truly regret that; we both hoped for success when you joined. Unit4 is in change, and we will be the first to ... More

Lots of changes going on!

Current Employee - Sales in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Sales in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at UNIT4 full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company values innovation and has been keen to share plans for change with the staff. It recognizes the need to change and has made a start.

Cons

Salaries are not great - and bonuses are low when compared to other companies in the same industry.

Too Much Change

I have been working at UNIT4 full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

lots of average people so easy to excel

Cons

the board is old SAP boys - so you know what to expect

7. Pretty good place to work overall!

Current Employee - Applications Consultant in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Applications Consultant in Manchester, NH

I have been working at UNIT4 full-time

Pros

Manager is not a micro manager, lot's of challenges, and a great team of co-workers!

Cons

Missed opportunities for value added sales. Its a technology company that does not give its staff updated tools to use nor do they leverage technology to support their staff and customers.

Advice to Management

You need to look at the big picture! And leverage the talent you have!

Great company with hardworking employees.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Sacramento, CA

I worked at UNIT4 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great management with freedom to use your insights.

Cons

Not well know in the USA.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

UNIT4 Response

Mar 5, 2014 – Recruitment Manager

Dear former employee, Thank you for your review, we appreciate this very much. Not just UNIT4 as a company but every individual can spread the word about our company, products and services to ... More

Great colleagues - great product - Management, not so much

I worked at UNIT4 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Colleagues are very helpful. The product is excellent a lot of fun to work with. Customers are great too.

Cons

Internal training isn't great and you might be send to an job where you aren't qualified for. There is no development, you get hired for a position - but there aren't any ways to move on. A lot of turnover of people.

Advice to Management

Think bigger, act bigger - you aren't anymore the small, cosy company you have been.

10. Friendly, supportive, family working atmosphere

Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at UNIT4 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Supportive and helpful colleagues Salary is comparable to competitors

Cons

As a consultant, travel requirement is over 50%.

Wouldn't recommend

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

Pros

The people you work with are great, amongst the workers there is a sense of togetherness and willingness to help each other. Very flexible with time. Pay, benefits and vacation/STAT are very good. It is an amazing product and everyone is committed to seeing it become more.

Cons

The Management team really has a hard time making good sound business decisions in North America, it more of these over arching policies that are not backed by analysis or sound judgement. It's sink or swim, but no different than any other solution provider out there. If your not local to Victoria Canada, then don't ever expect to be promoted into Management.

Advice to Management

Focus on employees and allow the employees to focus on the customers and products. If you really want to grow the company to greater than 20 Million, learn how to make effective business decisions and allow people to execute those decisions and don't try to manage everything out of 1 office location

RSS Feed </> Embed