UPMC Health Plan Reviews

• Pittsburgh, PA

1. Hard, challenging work

Former Contractor - Customer Service Concierge in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Contractor - Customer Service Concierge in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPMC Health Plan as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was good.
    The view from the building was cool
    People I worked with were nice
    room to advance

Cons

Hard to meet expectations on the phones
    commute sucked
    20 minute lunch break was not long enough
    stressful

Advice to Management

Management was always fairly compassionate to the workers, but just the way you have to meet numbers and not have any time off the phones was stressful

2. Mediocre Company

Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPMC Health Plan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

UPMC as a whole seems to be a good place for career advancement. It is not uncommon for individuals to transfer to other departments and/or be promoted. Also, the benefits package is not terrible. There is ample PTO available and healthcare costs are cheap relative to other places I have worked.

Cons

Challenges with working at UPMC Health Plan include dealing with egos and politics. Depending on the group you belong to, your work/life balance may be skewed towards the work side of the equation. Political games are played at every company, but not to this extreme. This company has a high rate of employee turnover, which we are told is on par with the rest of the region.

Advice to Management

Lose the egos and make better decisions using the resources you have.

Boring, political and stagnant

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPMC Health Plan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Work flexibility: You can telecommute and also go to doctor's appointments and other short appointments without taking time off
    - Peers: Most people are kind hearted, loyal and good employees

Cons

- Executives: The executives in this company are mostly all fashioned people who do not manage this company as if it were a data oriented company. This is evident when you see the skills and products of the people they trust to give them advice. Most decisions are made on low tech disease accounting masked as "data analysis".

- Management: Most managers are incompetent. Managers tend to focus on protecting their feud rather than improving the information they create or the processes they administer.

- Incompetence: Due to the low wages there are lots of people who lack the skills to do a good job in their role.

- Low wages: less than competition (Highmark) or similar jobs in other companies

-High turnover: Key departments have a high high turnover of employees due to the incompetence of the directors and the high profile executives.

Overall: The Health Plan is a lousy company managed by incompetent managers that are directed by old fashioned and ignorant executives. Highmark should have no problem crushing them and taking over the entire market.

Advice to Management

Diane: you should can treat the company with respect. Find competent analytical people, get rid of the relics that you have leading the analitycs area and the IT area. Stop throwing tantrums and re-structure the company to make it functional and not like a puzzle glued with water.

5. Intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPMC Health Plan as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Helpful management team, always wanted to help and provide legitimate hands on work experience. I enjoyed the department I worked in thoroughly.

Cons

Not too many, however there were some administrative problems that sometimes resulted in confusion or logistical errors. Nothing other than that, which was a small issue.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for internships and training for those who have just graduated college.

A great company to work for.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPMC Health Plan full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are flexible work hours, there is opportunity for growth, several locations if you work at one of the hospitals, they focus on health initiatives, nice atmosphere, also most positions are Monday through Friday.

Cons

There is no free or discount parking available. Very few days to dress business casual in the office where you do not deal with customers face to face.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have free and/or discounted parking and business casual days.

7. A good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPMC Health Plan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall I found UPMC to be a positive work environment that offered career advancement opportunities

Cons

I can't think of any cons currently

No Strategic or Vision

I have been working at UPMC Health Plan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, good brand, helpful colleagues

Cons

Senior leadership not on the same page. Too many conflicting priorities. No vision or strategy planning

Good hours, reasonable pay, no appreciation

Former Employee - Confidential in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Confidential in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPMC Health Plan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The hours are good, you get weekends and holidays off. Benefit package ok. Most of your fellow employees are nice.

Cons

No appreciation from management, blatant favoritism shown, management talks bad about employees in front of other employees, not only work related things, but personal as well. Customers are mean and some are downright crazy. You get other department's work assigned to you but they get paid a higher salary. If you address any concerns to HR, they mainly brush you off, but if management addresses a concern about you, they will pull you in before you can take your next breath, although they do try to resolve the issues that management brought forth and make suggestions to you, if you approach them with a problem, not so helpful.

Advice to Management

Show appreciation, stop promoting just your friends, listen to your employee's concerns.

An extremely disappointing experience

Former Employee - Health Economics Department in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Health Economics Department in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPMC Health Plan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at UPMC Health Plan, you are part of the larger UPMC system, the largest employer in Pennsylvania. The medical professionals associated with UPMC are top notch and it's a good feeling to be associated with an organization that provides the revolutionary care that UPMC provides.

The Health Plan offices are mostly located in Downtown Pittsburgh in the US Steel Building. All of the floors are recently renovated and the office space is top notch.

There is a great deal of flexibility as far as work/life balance and telecommuting options, while differing by department, are plentiful and easy to take advantage of to help balance out conflicting work and home priorities.

Cons

Where to begin? I can only speak specific to my team, but this was by far a textbook case of the grass not being greener. My leadership team was, for the most part, embarrassing. I found out after beginning work there that my direct supervisor telecommutes on a daily basis. One would suspect this would come up during the interview process. The same supervisor made itself unavailable to staff frequently. Putting ones self in a position to be in a remote location while ignoring phone calls, teleconference attempts, and instant messages from direct report staff is an absolutely horrible "management" technique. Attempts to address these occurrences were met with hefty resistance and a complete lack of empathy for staff who found this behavior to be problematic.

The lack of "management" was a daily occurrence. Only negative feedback was given on completed tasks. Even so, the negative feedback was at a minimum. Most times, there was no feedback given on anything leading to mixed messages and a general feeling of unease among the department's employees. The department was grossly top heavy and focused solely on improving the academic credentials of the area's senior level leadership.

Management promoted a culture of backstabbing against other departments that were deemed "stupid" by the VP and Director level. Seriously, we were told frequently that other departments were dumber than our department. It makes it very hard to build relationships with business partners when your leadership sets this tone within the larger organization.

My area suffered from a lot of turnover at the staff and management levels. From what I was told, this is standard practice in the specific unit I worked within.

In comparison to the market, UPMC Health Plan is notorious for being paid lower for commensurate positions at other companies.

Advice to Management

Reign in your senior leaders who are too busy doing self promotion rather than working together to help UPMC Health Plan gain market share. Weed out leadership like those that I worked under - they are a cancer to their staff and your organization as a whole. A company like UPMC Health Plan should be in a fight with the other players in the marketplace (who hold a commanding lead of insurance membership in Western PA) to gain market share, not focusing resources on how to best ambush and embarrass their co-workers in their own and other departments.

11. Project Manager at UPMC Health Plan

Current Employee - Project Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPMC Health Plan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of different projects and things going on. A lot to do and keep busy. The PMO office has been busy and involved in pretty much all layers of the org. Even though you might be in the insurance service division, you may get to work with other areas and divisions as well.

Cons

Since a lot is going on, you can get lost and not end up achieving as much as you may want. This would affect your profile as a professional and hence your career within.

Advice to Management

Have a clear idea of what you want each position to do and outline their boundaries.