UPMC Health Plan

A good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPMC Health Plan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Overall I found UPMC to be a positive work environment that offered career advancement opportunities

Cons

I can't think of any cons currently

No Strategic or Vision

Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPMC Health Plan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, good brand, helpful colleagues

Cons

Senior leadership not on the same page. Too many conflicting priorities. No vision or strategy planning

Good hours, reasonable pay, no appreciation

Former Employee - Confidential in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Confidential in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPMC Health Plan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The hours are good, you get weekends and holidays off. Benefit package ok. Most of your fellow employees are nice.

Cons

No appreciation from management, blatant favoritism shown, management talks bad about employees in front of other employees, not only work related things, but personal as well. Customers are mean and some are downright crazy. You get other department's work assigned to you but they get paid a higher salary. If you address any concerns to HR, they mainly brush you off, but if management addresses a concern about you, they will pull you in before you can take your next breath, although they do try to resolve the issues that management brought forth and make suggestions to you, if you approach them with a problem, not so helpful.

Show appreciation, stop promoting just your friends, listen to your employee's concerns.

An extremely disappointing experience

Former Employee - Health Economics Department in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Health Economics Department in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPMC Health Plan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at UPMC Health Plan, you are part of the larger UPMC system, the largest employer in Pennsylvania. The medical professionals associated with UPMC are top notch and it's a good feeling to be associated with an organization that provides the revolutionary care that UPMC provides.

The Health Plan offices are mostly located in Downtown Pittsburgh in the US Steel Building. All of the floors are recently renovated and the office space is top notch.

There is a great deal of flexibility as far as work/life balance and telecommuting options, while differing by department, are plentiful and easy to take advantage of to help balance out conflicting work and home priorities.

Cons

Where to begin? I can only speak specific to my team, but this was by far a textbook case of the grass not being greener. My leadership team was, for the most part, embarrassing. I found out after beginning work there that my direct supervisor telecommutes on a daily basis. One would suspect this would come up during the interview process. The same supervisor made itself unavailable to staff frequently. Putting ones self in a position to be in a remote location while ignoring phone calls, teleconference attempts, and instant messages from direct report staff is an absolutely horrible "management" technique. Attempts to address these occurrences were met with hefty resistance and a complete lack of empathy for staff who found this behavior to be problematic.

The lack of "management" was a daily occurrence. Only negative feedback was given on completed tasks. Even so, the negative feedback was at a minimum. Most times, there was no feedback given on anything leading to mixed messages and a general feeling of unease among the department's employees. The department was grossly top heavy and focused solely on improving the academic credentials of the area's senior level leadership.

Management promoted a culture of backstabbing against other departments that were deemed "stupid" by the VP and Director level. Seriously, we were told frequently that other departments were dumber than our department. It makes it very hard to build relationships with business partners when your leadership sets this tone within the larger organization.

My area suffered from a lot of turnover at the staff and management levels. From what I was told, this is standard practice in the specific unit I worked within.

In comparison to the market, UPMC Health Plan is notorious for being paid lower for commensurate positions at other companies.

Reign in your senior leaders who are too busy doing self promotion rather than working together to help UPMC Health Plan gain market share. Weed out leadership like those that I worked under - they are a cancer to their staff and your organization as a whole. A company like UPMC Health Plan should be in a fight with the other players in the marketplace (who hold a commanding lead of insurance membership in Western PA) to gain market share, not focusing resources on how to best ambush and embarrass their co-workers in their own and other departments.

Project Manager at UPMC Health Plan

Current Employee - Project Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPMC Health Plan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of different projects and things going on. A lot to do and keep busy. The PMO office has been busy and involved in pretty much all layers of the org. Even though you might be in the insurance service division, you may get to work with other areas and divisions as well.

Cons

Since a lot is going on, you can get lost and not end up achieving as much as you may want. This would affect your profile as a professional and hence your career within.

Have a clear idea of what you want each position to do and outline their boundaries.

Great Customer Service Job

Current Employee - Customer Service Concierge in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Concierge in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPMC Health Plan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Salary and Great benefits

Cons

Manditory Overtime can be too demanding at times.

Unmotivated, dull work, abysmal raises,

Current Employee - Operations Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Operations Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPMC Health Plan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent Health Insurance
    Nice co-workers
    Reasonable tuition assistance

Cons

Everything else
    Remember this is a "Non-Profit" healthcare organization!
    A CEO who earns 6 million a year + private jet + private chief + Italian imported marble corporate office on the 56th floor while the rest of us barely receive a 1-2% raise, no stocks, no bonuses (unless a Director), and low starting salaries. This creates an environment where most employees have no personal investment or loyalty in a company.

*note: Physicians get pampered with perks, high salaries, and other benefits the rest of us slaves do no receive.

Revoke your non-profit status and share the wealth with the rest of us.

Great if you're part of the clique

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPMC Health Plan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Central location in downtown Pittsburgh. Flexible hours mean good work-life balance.

Cons

Senior management are people who have known each other for years if not decades. If they don't know you then good luck ever getting noticed. Promotions are based mainly on how long you've worked there and who your friends are. The Health Plan is successful only because of its connection to UPMC, not because they hire smart people. No commitment to career development. Company-wide initiatives such as "Dignity and Respect Campaign" are designed to appeal to a kindergarten-level intellect.

Be willing to spend a little more money in order to hire the best of the best, rather than just a bunch of warm bodies who just want to yawn their way through the day and collect a paycheck.

A long unguided 10 months.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPMC Health Plan full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Large company with lots of contacts and opportunity to move.

Cons

Large company with lots of office politics. The company is so dominant in the area that employees are a cog in the machine and are treated as such, like a part that is easily replaced.

Take more interest in providing quality guidance to your employees and less time covering your own interests. Quality employees and proper training will cover you in the end anyway.

Not a bad place to work

Former Employee - Project Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPMC Health Plan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers are friendly. Good benefits, especially PTO.

Cons

Not much growth potential. Too many lifers.