UPMC Health Plan

Diane P. Holder

Hard, challenging work

Customer Service Concierge (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThe pay was good.
    The view from the building was cool
    People I worked with were nice
    room to advance

ConsHard to meet expectations on the phones
    commute sucked
    20 minute lunch break was not long enough
    stressful

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement was always fairly compassionate to the workers, but just the way you have to meet numbers and not have any time off the phones was stressful

Mediocre Company

Manager (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsUPMC as a whole seems to be a good place for career advancement. It is not uncommon for individuals to transfer to other departments and/or be promoted. Also, the benefits package is not terrible. There is ample PTO available and healthcare costs are cheap relative to other places I have worked.

ConsChallenges with working at UPMC Health Plan include dealing with egos and politics. Depending on the group you belong to, your work/life balance may be skewed towards the work side of the equation. Political games are played at every company, but not to this extreme. This company has a high rate of employee turnover, which we are told is on par with the rest of the region.

Advice to Senior ManagementLose the egos and make better decisions using the resources you have.

Biggest mistake of my life!

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Pitts, PA

ProsI can pay my bills with the paychecks. My co-workers

Conseverything! breaks, management big brother is always watching

Advice to Senior Managementtreat your employees like human beings. and not like it's a concentration camp.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Boring, political and stagnant

Data Analyst (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

Pros- Work flexibility: You can telecommute and also go to doctor's appointments and other short appointments without taking time off
    - Peers: Most people are kind hearted, loyal and good employees

Cons- Executives: The executives in this company are mostly all fashioned people who do not manage this company as if it were a data oriented company. This is evident when you see the skills and products of the people they trust to give them advice. Most decisions are made on low tech disease accounting masked as "data analysis".

- Management: Most managers are incompetent. Managers tend to focus on protecting their feud rather than improving the information they create or the processes they administer.

- Incompetence: Due to the low wages there are lots of people who lack the skills to do a good job in their role.

- Low wages: less than competition (Highmark) or similar jobs in other companies

-High turnover: Key departments have a high high turnover of employees due to the incompetence of the directors and the high profile executives.

Overall: The Health Plan is a lousy company managed by incompetent managers that are directed by old fashioned and ignorant executives. Highmark should have no problem crushing them and taking over the entire market.

Advice to Senior ManagementDiane: you should can treat the company with respect. Find competent analytical people, get rid of the relics that you have leading the analitycs area and the IT area. Stop throwing tantrums and re-structure the company to make it functional and not like a puzzle glued with water.

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsHelpful management team, always wanted to help and provide legitimate hands on work experience. I enjoyed the department I worked in thoroughly.

ConsNot too many, however there were some administrative problems that sometimes resulted in confusion or logistical errors. Nothing other than that, which was a small issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more opportunities for internships and training for those who have just graduated college.

A great company to work for.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThere are flexible work hours, there is opportunity for growth, several locations if you work at one of the hospitals, they focus on health initiatives, nice atmosphere, also most positions are Monday through Friday.

ConsThere is no free or discount parking available. Very few days to dress business casual in the office where you do not deal with customers face to face.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to have free and/or discounted parking and business casual days.

CSR

ProsLearn multiple product lines and have a healthy support system

ConsCan be helter skelter at times with a sink or swim mentality

Started out great but I soon realized that there was a high turnover rate and the average tenure in the dept was 2-3 yrs

Systems Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsUpmc is a very stable company, they allow people who aren't very good at their jobs to remain employed.

ConsIn my specific dept., the management runs it like its high school, plays favorites, and creates an atmosphere where its every man or woman for themselves with absolutely no teamwork and way more back stabbing than I've seen elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that we all should be working towards a common goal as a team.

A good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsOverall I found UPMC to be a positive work environment that offered career advancement opportunities

ConsI can't think of any cons currently

No Strategic or Vision

Manager (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsGreat people, good brand, helpful colleagues

ConsSenior leadership not on the same page. Too many conflicting priorities. No vision or strategy planning

Worked for UPMC Health Plan? Contribute to the Community!