UPMC Presbyterian

UPMC Presbyterian Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Pleased with my years at UPMC

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at UPMC Presbyterian full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThey treated me fair. The hourly rate was good I would say. I had great benefits with them. I enjoyed my years working with them. They knew we would eventually be outsourced and I am glad they gave us all the training we needed beforehand.

ConsSad that modernization came along and our positions were eliminated to an outsource company. That, of course, was not their fault, it is just the way things modernize to the new times.

rehab aide

Rehab Aide (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPMC Presbyterian full-time for less than a year

Prosgood people
easy to get days off

Conspay isn't the best
no bonus
no room to promote

High volume recruiting for very noteworthy departments within organization.

Recruiter (Former Employee)

I worked at UPMC Presbyterian full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExciting, high pace and also gratifying.

ConsLaid off, HR reorganization.

Positive experiece

Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee)

I have been working at UPMC Presbyterian full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSupport from supervisors, tuition assistance, savings plan, opportunities for advancement, UPMC Perks (discount at local retailers)

ConsLow salaries, increasing workload with no extra resources

Advice to Senior ManagementReward good and reliable employees appropriately.

Penny wise pound foolish

Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at UPMC Presbyterian full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThere are some really good people who really care about the patients who are treated at Presby. If I was severely injured or contracted some serious rare disease, I would definitely go to Presby.

ConsFirst, even though the nurses, doctors and medical staff are top-notch, the facilities are one step up from a cave and the management couldn't lead ants to a picnic. The building opened in 1938 and retains much of the same amenities that it had back then; windows that leak air like a sieve, couple of electrical outlets per room (electricity was new back in 1938), one dim overhead light and a few critters scouring about. Most of the patients' rooms are semi-private and extremely small, and one could possibly reach across the gap between the beds and touch their roommate. Good luck to those escorts who have the dubious task of transporting the patients via the elevators. They are also tiny. I guess people and beds were smaller back then. Forget the idea of moving someone if you have a bariatric bed. As for the HVAC, yeah, pretty much nonexistent. Some rooms are molten hot while others are harboring the polar vortex. But this can be explained...thermostats! Yes, it's a device that controls temperature. This leads to housekeeping...Laurel Cavern is probably cleaner and more well lit. Not really housekeeping's fault because there are so darn few of them. The manager to housekeeping ratio is probably 10 to 1. It takes no less than 3 managers to supervise one housekeeper. This leads to the management. Can't figure out where their heads are at. They spend millions opening a nursing unit in the old Children's Hospital Tower and now, are going to close it down 2 years later. The plan I'm told is that there are "plans" for a new hospital. I sure hope so but I'm not counting on it. They hit me up 15 years ago to buy an engraved brick for the Presby Tower. Still waiting on that one. Hey, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. But to management's defense, most haven't a clue because they haven't been properly vetted. They are either someone's idiot brother-in-law or sister-in-law or just don't have the credentials and are waiting on that generous tuition plan. So, to sum this up: you'll be working in a very old antiquated building with management that could care less about patient care. All that's important is the bottom line. We don't care how it gets done...just do it!!

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees really do care. Give them responsibility and ownership and watch them prosper.

Impersonal and corporate

Patient Care Technician (Former Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPMC Presbyterian part-time for more than a year

ProsA lot of flexibility. As a PRN Patient Care Technician on the Resource Unit, I could essentially make my own schedule, from working full time to only 8 hours per month.

ConsI never knew any one in my department, since I only came to the office for my assignment. The only communication I had with anyone was an endless slew of bureaucratic emails and learning modules.

Advice to Senior ManagementAn email or print out of all the door codes on a floor would be nice. I spent a good portion of my day just trying to figure out where everything was on a floor and how to get to it.

Data analyst position provided opportunity to work with Ph. D and MD's on advanced research.

Data Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at UPMC Presbyterian full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat benefits. Opportunity to take classes with U of Pitt, in some cases.

ConsLimited opportunity for career growth in medical research, specifically.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

I think the staff gives great patient care, and they have good doctors.

Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPMC Presbyterian as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThis facility is positioned as a tertiary care center with fabulous ICU staff. Life flights in and out are constant, and that is a sign that if you need trauma care, go to UPMC-Presby.

ConsParking off site for many first shift employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter at times to hire from outside the UPMC network helps bring a breath of fresh air in perspective and can facilitate employee enrichment and retention by having management play to the strengths of their employees.

Upmc not a nice place to work

Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at UPMC Presbyterian full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFriendly staff. Love the patients.

ConsManagement starting with Director level on up. Upmc has a high management turn over and this hurts all of the employees who have been there a long time. Most management staff do not care about their staff, just their own paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart hiring the right management for the position instead of hiring everyone's personal friends and families of upper management who are not people oriented.

My career at UPMC was long and painful.

Staff Nurse (Former Employee)

I worked at UPMC Presbyterian full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe compensation and benefits were great.

ConsThe focus was more on money than on patient care.

Worked for UPMC Presbyterian? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UPMC Presbyterian reviews and ratings. All 24 reviews posted anonymously by UPMC Presbyterian employees.