UPMC Presbyterian

Penny wise pound foolish

Former Employee - Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPMC Presbyterian full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are some really good people who really care about the patients who are treated at Presby. If I was severely injured or contracted some serious rare disease, I would definitely go to Presby.

Cons

First, even though the nurses, doctors and medical staff are top-notch, the facilities are one step up from a cave and the management couldn't lead ants to a picnic. The building opened in 1938 and retains much of the same amenities that it had back then; windows that leak air like a sieve, couple of electrical outlets per room (electricity was new back in 1938), one dim overhead light and a few critters scouring about. Most of the patients' rooms are semi-private and extremely small, and one could possibly reach across the gap between the beds and touch their roommate. Good luck to those escorts who have the dubious task of transporting the patients via the elevators. They are also tiny. I guess people and beds were smaller back then. Forget the idea of moving someone if you have a bariatric bed. As for the HVAC, yeah, pretty much nonexistent. Some rooms are molten hot while others are harboring the polar vortex. But this can be explained...thermostats! Yes, it's a device that controls temperature. This leads to housekeeping...Laurel Cavern is probably cleaner and more well lit. Not really housekeeping's fault because there are so darn few of them. The manager to housekeeping ratio is probably 10 to 1. It takes no less than 3 managers to supervise one housekeeper. This leads to the management. Can't figure out where their heads are at. They spend millions opening a nursing unit in the old Children's Hospital Tower and now, are going to close it down 2 years later. The plan I'm told is that there are "plans" for a new hospital. I sure hope so but I'm not counting on it. They hit me up 15 years ago to buy an engraved brick for the Presby Tower. Still waiting on that one. Hey, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. But to management's defense, most haven't a clue because they haven't been properly vetted. They are either someone's idiot brother-in-law or sister-in-law or just don't have the credentials and are waiting on that generous tuition plan. So, to sum this up: you'll be working in a very old antiquated building with management that could care less about patient care. All that's important is the bottom line. We don't care how it gets done...just do it!!

Employees really do care. Give them responsibility and ownership and watch them prosper.

Positive experiece

Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPMC Presbyterian full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Support from supervisors, tuition assistance, savings plan, opportunities for advancement, UPMC Perks (discount at local retailers)

Cons

Low salaries, increasing workload with no extra resources

Reward good and reliable employees appropriately.

Impersonal and corporate

Former Employee - Patient Care Technician  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPMC Presbyterian part-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of flexibility. As a PRN Patient Care Technician on the Resource Unit, I could essentially make my own schedule, from working full time to only 8 hours per month.

Cons

I never knew any one in my department, since I only came to the office for my assignment. The only communication I had with anyone was an endless slew of bureaucratic emails and learning modules.

An email or print out of all the door codes on a floor would be nice. I spent a good portion of my day just trying to figure out where everything was on a floor and how to get to it.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Data analyst position provided opportunity to work with Ph. D and MD's on advanced research.

Current Employee - Data Analyst  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPMC Presbyterian full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits. Opportunity to take classes with U of Pitt, in some cases.

Cons

Limited opportunity for career growth in medical research, specifically.

None

I think the staff gives great patient care, and they have good doctors.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPMC Presbyterian as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

This facility is positioned as a tertiary care center with fabulous ICU staff. Life flights in and out are constant, and that is a sign that if you need trauma care, go to UPMC-Presby.

Cons

Parking off site for many first shift employees.

Better at times to hire from outside the UPMC network helps bring a breath of fresh air in perspective and can facilitate employee enrichment and retention by having management play to the strengths of their employees.

Upmc not a nice place to work

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPMC Presbyterian full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Friendly staff. Love the patients.

Cons

Management starting with Director level on up. Upmc has a high management turn over and this hurts all of the employees who have been there a long time. Most management staff do not care about their staff, just their own paycheck.

Start hiring the right management for the position instead of hiring everyone's personal friends and families of upper management who are not people oriented.

My career at UPMC was long and painful.

Former Employee - Staff Nurse  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Staff Nurse in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPMC Presbyterian full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The compensation and benefits were great.

Cons

The focus was more on money than on patient care.

My experience withUPMC has been rewarding.

Current Employee - Payment Specialist II  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Payment Specialist II in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPMC Presbyterian full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people to work with, pay raises are not too bad, work load is only what you can handle and training is available for what you don't know or understand.

Cons

raises are only once a year, no room for advancement.

Either create room for advancement or create a better pay scale that allows the senior staff to more quickly stay on top. If the pay range increases so should the pay scale for senior employees.

Wonderful

Current Employee - Nursing Assistant  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Nursing Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPMC Presbyterian full-time for less than a year

Pros

Team work and everyone helps

Cons

The system in which somethings are done need to be changed to help patients better

More pay raises

UPMC was a great place to start

Former Employee - Staff RN  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPMC Presbyterian

Pros

As a new nurse, I gained wonderful experience and support. Education department is awesome!

Cons

Large hospital system, cut corners by cutting certain employee perks like the amount of money for tuition reimbursement/advance, parking, healthcare

Start cutting the fat at the top

Worked for UPMC Presbyterian? Contribute to the Community!