UPMC

Updated November 24, 2014
3.3

UPMC President and CEO Jeffrey A. Romoff
Jeffrey A. Romoff

Pros
  • Solid starting point, good benefits, stable company in Pittsburgh area (in 16 reviews)

• Great benefits including retirement and vacation were really great (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • weak management, nepotism, lack of communication (in 4 reviews)

• The pay scale at UPMC is pretty bad compared to other health systems (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

It all depends...

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPMC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits are clearly the best aspect of the deal. Tuition reimbursement is what first attracted me to working at UPMC, but the medical/dental/vision is very reasonably priced and there are many variations offered. Benefits for full-time staff are also available to spouse and family. The value of the UPMC brand is that it is based on cutting edge medical treatment, research, and innovation. Working in the organization will give those who are looking for an intellectual challenge and a dynamic environment, it can be found at UPMC.

Cons

Depending on what division or job type one is employed in will have an impact on the level of intellectual challenge and flexible work arrangements are available. The salary ranges are below-market for many non-medical or non-executive job roles. HR is not your friend or counselor. You are on your own and hopefully you get along well with your supervisor.

Priorities and strategies change quickly and that can have disappointing and costly (not just in terms of money but also in human effort) downstream repercussions. It is a challenging work environment, but it can be manageable.

There is a great deal of political maneuvering, and nepotism has been known to have some impact in certain situations. It used to be the physicians that lorded control over the organization, but now it is the corporate executives. UPMC has become a behemoth in the healthcare market, but it has lost some of its humanity in doing so.

Walk the talk. UPMC has become a corporate entity and, as such should standardize all HR practices across the board and increase transparency into strategic planning (for the community as well as the staff.) Instead of fighting the unionization of the non-exempt hospital staff members, but elevate staff relations such that there is nothing to hide.
    Pittsburgh has built UPMC; the patients, staff, and the expertise have all come from the metropolitan Pittsburgh area. UPMC, as a healthcare brand, should act responsibly within the community (regardless of non-profit status) in all dealings with the community. The brand should be elevated above the fray.

Good training

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at UPMC

Pros

Good place to start carrer

Cons

You can find better pay other places

Intake Coordinator

I have been working at UPMC

Pros

Great health perks, and general perks

Cons

Boys club, little room for advancement hires within

Great room for advancement

I have been working at UPMC full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great Room for Advancement, good learning opportunities

Cons

Seems pay is low continued to comparable employers

Good experience

Former Employee - Student Nursing Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Student Nursing Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPMC part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of one on one patient contact, coworkers have a good "team" mentality, supervisors are approachable and friendly. The supervisors also work closely with you, so it is easy to come to them with a problem or for them to see a problem themselves. It's a great job for college students and recent grads

Cons

Can be mentally exhausting, but that goes for every psychiatric job

None

Too many chiefs, too few Indians.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPMC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent reputation and nearly limitless resources.

Cons

Pulling the resource hogs away from the trough.

The "rain makers" are entitled to their FAIR share of what they have attracted to the entire system, just not all of it.

A lot of opportunity but tough culture

I worked at UPMC full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

opportunity to progress
    progressive environment
    interesting work

Cons

tough culture, people are not collaborative

need to use HR to help employees rather than looking for issues

Traumatic

I worked at UPMC

Pros

Some of the pros of working for UPMC are: The vast majority of my co-workers were wonderful people. The hospital I worked for did very nice things for the employees. Beautiful Christmas lunches, employee appreciation gatherings, etc. I felt that the President of that particular facility really valued the employees and truly cared.

Cons

If you don't sign-up for benefits right away, they will retroactively charge you for them when you do sign-up. I don't know how this is allowable, because you are then essentially paying for a service you did not receive. I tried to fight it and got nowhere, so just be careful with that. Onto the rest. Let me first say that this is only my experience from one particular department in one particular hospital. I know other people who have had similar experiences, and I know others who have had better experiences. The wage for my position was well-below what other companies pay, and this detail does seem to be pretty much the same across the board. MANY people aren't paid enough there. The tasks of my job grew x10 once I gave my orientation review. I was trained by a different manager because mine was "too busy" to show me anything, then somehow had six managers after that. I was supposed to support a Director, and ended-up supporting that Director plus the other 8 department managers, and matriculating Residents and new dept staff, along with any clerical/support/administrative duty you can think of for the whole department. I noticed a pattern of being told to do the things that nobody else wanted to do, and also had countless last-minute rush items that others didn't do when they were supposed to. I honestly felt like the dumping ground and scapegoat. Many times, I had to show veteran employees how to perform simple tasks (many of whom made SUBSTANTIALLY more money, and were in higher positions. How they got there not knowing how to copy and paste, or copy someone on an email is beyond me...). Let me be clear, I have no problem with an increased workload, or with authority, or with helping others, but the volume of all of these things, coupled with the catty behavior and blame-games was just mind-blowing. I have never seen adults in their 40s, 50s and 60s be so childish and vindictive. I am a very amiable, easy-going, patient person, and even I couldn't handle the craziness anymore. Lots of wolves in sheep's clothing. I ended-up injured in an accident outside of work, and their WorkPartners subsidiary lost forms, sent confidential papers to an old address (after they had sent things to my real address), and ultimately lead to me losing my job while on leave. I appreciated the job, but what I did, and what I put up with was worth WAY more than $13.04 an hour.

I honestly don't know what to say here, because management was the major issue for me.

Imaging Technician at the Eye & Ear Ocular Imaging Center

Former Employee - Imaging Technician in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Imaging Technician in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPMC part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Set hours, no overtime
    -Friendly coworkers and environment
    -Extensive training with machinery

Cons

-Inconsistent lunches on busy days, sometimes there is no time for lunch
    -No separate office for employees, desks are in the testing room

Not bad

I have been working at UPMC

Pros

Good pay, benefits, lots of opportunity. Easy to advance but can get maxed out easily.

Cons

Very company driven. Not caring about individual employee. Max out easily