UPMC

Be The First To
Add Photos

UPMC President and CEO Jeffrey A. Romoff

Jeffrey A. Romoff

Pros
  • Great benefits including retirement and vacation were really great (in 14 reviews)

• Solid starting point, good benefits, stable company in Pittsburgh area (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • weak management, nepotism, lack of communication (in 4 reviews)

• The pay scale at UPMC is pretty bad compared to other health systems (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of opportunity to grow, excellent benefits

ConsPublic reputation is poor in spite of giving great patient care, large organization can be challenging to navigate

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your employees truly feel valued at all levels

CancerCenter

Web Producer (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsGreat people to work with.

ConsManagement looking for scape goats.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your team members, they are trying to do a good job, but need your guidance and your ear.

Cares more about money than patients and employees

Patient Information Coordinator (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsIt's a big company with a lot of benefits and not too hard to find an initial job.

ConsUPMC seems to like to keep you in the job you already have. Multiple attempts to move up failed miserably. Pay is on the low end of the scale and values at the top are lacking.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrop the fight with Highmark and concentrate more on patient care. Consider offering more competetive wages and opportunities for advancement.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience started off good but has been declining over recent years.

Professional Staff Nurse (Current Employee) Seneca, PA

ProsThe people you work with are awesome. The nurses, aides, housekeepers, and all direct care staff really care about the patients and each other.

ConsMangement, be it local or coming from Pittsburgh, continually expects you to do more with less. This has put morale very low. Turnover is higher than it has been in years.

Not a great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou'll have health insurance and two weeks vacation?

ConsBeing leveraged against a monopolized local economy. They are the largest employer in the region, and it is clear. Wages have been been depressed and attitude is of indifference to employees as individuals. Employees often have contempt for each because they are unhappy, and it becomes a very high school-like atmosphere. If my lunch took 10 minutes extra, or I was perceived as drinking more coffee than I made, somebody would surely tell on me.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush for unionization

Innovative organization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInnovative for a healthcare organization--investment in new ideas and direction can be generous.

ConsWhen they are done with an idea, the're done. Layoffs not unusual. Benefits are surprisingly stingy

Small Community Hospital Provides Excellent Work Environment

Registered Nurse (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

Pros-great coworkers and sense of community
    -high quality patient care
    -Magnet recognized facility
    -sufficient orientation time to feel comfortable performing job duties

Cons-layoffs imminent due to insurance issues
    -poor communication from management to staff
    -mandatory in-services on patient satisfaction (although most places will probably have these)

Advice to Senior Management-better and earlier communication to staff about changes and layoffs

“Good Job”

Data Analyst (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsA good job, with benefits and opportunities.

ConsI will let you know !

Advice to Senior ManagementI really want to see a surprise,an excellent surprise .

Illegal.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou meet some incredible people.

ConsThe management and the work environment is horrendous.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the nurses and staff in important aspects to better the work environment and for the patients. That is why we are here.

It's a stepping stone job.

Communications Specialist (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsDecent benefits and vacation/PTO. My mangers have always been fair with me You will learn a lot in a short amount of time and you get to add a big name company to your resume.

ConsIt is a very politically charged environment. Everyone has their own agenda and an ulterior motive for everything they do.

The work-life balance is very poor. I'm in a salaried position in Corporate Services, and while the salary looks decent at first you will soon learn that the amount of hours you put in are certainly not worth it. There is some opportunity for advancement, but only after you put in several years of service at your position and without a commensurate increase in pay.

It is an unspoken rule that putting in more than 8 hours a day on a frequent basis is not only encouraged, but required to keep up with the work load. The project management process moves at a glacial pace due to the review-approval process that comes with working for a large corporation, contributing to the large workload.

The daily office environment is incredibly uptight and stuffy, most of the people are very unfriendly, and morale is low.

I wouldn't recommend working for UPMC, but if you decide to accept a position there, gain as much experience as you deem fit and find a new job as soon as possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to work on finding some ways to increase employee morale. If possible, try to add in some more incentives for employees that work as hard as they do. Working a lot of extra hours for nothing more than the occasional thank you isn't always enough to keep talented people.

Worked for UPMC? Contribute to the Community!