UPMC

Be The First To
Add Photos

UPMC President and CEO Jeffrey A. Romoff

Jeffrey A. Romoff

Pros:
  • "Solid starting point, good benefits, stable company in Pittsburgh area"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Great benefits including retirement and vacation were really great"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "weak management, nepotism, lack of communication"
    in 4 reviews
  • "The pay scale at UPMC is pretty bad compared to other health systems"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Small Community Hospital Provides Excellent Work Environment

Registered Nurse (Former Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

Pros-great coworkers and sense of community
    -high quality patient care
    -Magnet recognized facility
    -sufficient orientation time to feel comfortable performing job duties

Cons-layoffs imminent due to insurance issues
    -poor communication from management to staff
    -mandatory in-services on patient satisfaction (although most places will probably have these)

Advice to Senior Management-better and earlier communication to staff about changes and layoffs

Not a great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou'll have health insurance and two weeks vacation?

ConsBeing leveraged against a monopolized local economy. They are the largest employer in the region, and it is clear. Wages have been been depressed and attitude is of indifference to employees as individuals. Employees often have contempt for each because they are unhappy, and it becomes a very high school-like atmosphere. If my lunch took 10 minutes extra, or I was perceived as drinking more coffee than I made, somebody would surely tell on me.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush for unionization

Innovative organization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInnovative for a healthcare organization--investment in new ideas and direction can be generous.

ConsWhen they are done with an idea, the're done. Layoffs not unusual. Benefits are surprisingly stingy

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

it was ok

Medical Assistant (Former Employee)
    Allison Park, PA

Prosthe health plan was good

Consyou dont make enough money

A decent place to work, with lots of areas and disciplines to move around in.

ProsFree training available in many areas. Fair workplace practices. UPMC works hard to cultivate an environment of teamwork and respect amongst all levels of employees.

ConsMost money is still stuck in the top echelon. Experience you acquired prior to coming to UPMC will be severely discounted when they are determining your job and earnings level. Degrees speak to them, and real-life experience is fairly worthless to them, unless you acquired it at UPMC.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet more money trickle down to the lower level workers. They would be grateful for a little more and not undeservedly so. Believe me, the upper management salaries could stand some clipping, and they would never miss it.

It's a stepping stone job.

Communications Specialist (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsDecent benefits and vacation/PTO. My mangers have always been fair with me You will learn a lot in a short amount of time and you get to add a big name company to your resume.

ConsIt is a very politically charged environment. Everyone has their own agenda and an ulterior motive for everything they do.

The work-life balance is very poor. I'm in a salaried position in Corporate Services, and while the salary looks decent at first you will soon learn that the amount of hours you put in are certainly not worth it. There is some opportunity for advancement, but only after you put in several years of service at your position and without a commensurate increase in pay.

It is an unspoken rule that putting in more than 8 hours a day on a frequent basis is not only encouraged, but required to keep up with the work load. The project management process moves at a glacial pace due to the review-approval process that comes with working for a large corporation, contributing to the large workload.

The daily office environment is incredibly uptight and stuffy, most of the people are very unfriendly, and morale is low.

I wouldn't recommend working for UPMC, but if you decide to accept a position there, gain as much experience as you deem fit and find a new job as soon as possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to work on finding some ways to increase employee morale. If possible, try to add in some more incentives for employees that work as hard as they do. Working a lot of extra hours for nothing more than the occasional thank you isn't always enough to keep talented people.

“Good Job”

Data Analyst (Former Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsA good job, with benefits and opportunities.

ConsI will let you know !

Advice to Senior ManagementI really want to see a surprise,an excellent surprise .

ISDR

ISDR (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsBeing in a rotation division allows you to experience a lot of different areas of the company to see if you do or do not want to stay there after your rotation is completed. The rotations also give you a great resume builder so that you are well prepared more jobs upon completion.

ConsSome rotations may not be as exciting as others which could lead to a long 6 months. The positive side to this is that 6 months is a relatively short period of time in your carrier .

Good Job

Medicare Division (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsA good job, with benefits and opportunities.

ConsI will let you know !

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease , I really want to see a surprise,an excellent surprise .

This was the worse company I've ever worked for in my 22 year career!

Registered Nurse (Former Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsI love working with patients and helping take part in their health care.

ConsMost disgruntled staff and upper management I've ever dealt with. I've worked with major health systems in the past and UPMC has total disregard for their employees and the concerns of the critically ill patients or their families.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake complaints and issues seriously when an employee brings up a problem with patient care, policy or staff and don't just disregard it.

Worked for UPMC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UPMC reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UPMC CEO Jeffrey A. Romoff. All 202 reviews posted anonymously by UPMC employees.