UPS Airlines Reviews

Mitch Nichols

1. Crew Scheduling

Current Employee - Crew Scheduler in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Crew Scheduler in Louisville, KY

I have been working at UPS Airlines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really good pay, benefits, a lot of vacation time, paid hourly, a lot of chance to work over time but never forced, only required to work 40 hrs. per week, and a lot chances for promotions. UPS promotes from within. 401k, and pension are really good if you stay until you are over 65. There are a lot of benefits to employees in the airline such as travel, legal, mental health and substance abuse programs to help support employees with what ever they might encounter in life. Jumpseating on a UPS aircraft as an airline employee has been one of the most amazing things I have ever gotten to do in regards to a job in my whole life. The company is very active in the community and donates millions of hours of service and millions of dollars every year to United Way.

Cons

Rotating shifts and rotating days off. required to work holidays and weekends a lot. Health benefits keep getting more expensive every year. Due to the fact that management is usually promoted with in not always is the best person for the job the one who gets it. Experience with the company is held at higher regard than education. Some management could really use some formal education in how to manage people correctly, it is not just about the bottom line all of the time. Your people are you biggest asset. Treat them like they are.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to take on a servant leader role. Anyone can be a dictator but your employees will be much happier, and engaged if you make them feel significant.

2. First Officer, Pilot

Current Employee - First Officer in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - First Officer in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at UPS Airlines

Pros

Compensation and benefits package among the best...

Cons

...everything else the airline has done since I've been here. Management lies among the worst I've experienced in corporate America and/or the military.

Advice to Management

Resign and/or stay home...

3. UPS Airlines is a mess….

Current Employee - Senior Provisioning Analyst in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Senior Provisioning Analyst in Louisville, KY

I have been working at UPS Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay. Good vacation time. Decent benefits package.

Cons

Too many to list. Overall its ok place to work. But the expectations are unreal because most management personnel have had their careers handed to them. They couldn't spot real talent, potential if it landed in their laps & called them Mommy. Pretty sad really.

Advice to Management

Quit playing games. Learn the job yourself. Train. Train. Train your employees.

5. High performing

Former Employee - Aircraft Maintenance Engineer in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Aircraft Maintenance Engineer in Louisville, KY

I worked at UPS Airlines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Highly motivated, highly skilled, dedicated work force. Great compensation plan. Very organized.

Cons

Work life balance leans more toward work, few opportunities for advancement, busiest time of the year is during the holidays, shift work required

Advice to Management

Allow more schedule flexibility. People work overtime when things get really busy. When things aren't so busy reward them for the long hours by letting them go home.

6. Continuous improvement !

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Roanoke, VA

I worked at UPS Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Via UPS, one fully develops his/her performance (& other) potential to the maximum.

Cons

Well, there's no such thing as Nirvana ANYwhere, but that's life! :-)

Advice to Management

Work/Life (family) balance: room for some improvement.

7. UPS-Pretty decent job if you don't mind working 3rd shift.

Former Employee - Administrative Position in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Administrative Position in Louisville, KY

I worked at UPS Airlines part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Vacation Time
    Sick Time
    High Pay
    Easy job most nights
    Fun environment if you are on the right belt

Cons

Few hours
    Noise Level-Loud
    Shuttle System
    Temperature
    can be highly stressful
    supervisor can be lazy or just disappear leaving you to do both your job and theirs.

8. Company asks alot, returns very little

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at UPS Airlines

Pros

The company is very stable. As such you dont have to worry about it going out of business. As part of UPS airlines you get extra benefits that other UPS employees do not which are related to being part of an airline.

Cons

Pay for I.T. employees is VERY below market wages for similar jobs. UPS classifies their IT employees as "management" which means they get stock as part of their compensation. This leads UPS to treat IT employees as "partners" in the business when the business needs them to do something such as work constant weekends, or go out in the middle of the night during a blizzard to move boxes. When it comes time for UPS to do something above employees it rarely happens. There is very much a one way "take take take" culture from the company towards its employees.

Advice to Management

Compensate employees fairly and you wouldnt lose your best talent constantly. Its ok to ask extra from your employees so long as you are willing to be willing to give back.

9. It's good if you're trying to pay for college

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at UPS Airlines

Pros

Semester bonuses, college hour milestone bonuses, great benifits, able to move up in company if willing. Stable job. Pays for college education in Louisville area

Cons

Dealing with Weather elements, no heating or cooling in work areas, unpaid tram rides around air port property just to get to area of work

Advice to Management

Race and gender should not matter when it comes to promoting an individual. The individual that is best fitted for the job should get promoted, but that's not how it works there. they follow a race/gender ratio

10. Stable, Secure, but cheap

Former Employee - Programmer in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Programmer in Louisville, KY

I worked at UPS Airlines

Pros

A very stable company to work for. Very secure, safe, reliable and will not let any employee down.

Cons

Salary is not competitive compared to similar industries in the same region. I beleive that the extremely lower salary does not motivate employees as much as it should.

Advice to Management

Compensate employees with money rather than just a "good job".

11. UPS- A stable and great company to work for

Current Employee - Flight Scheduler in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Flight Scheduler in Louisville, KY

I have been working at UPS Airlines

Pros

The benefits are great, management is flexiable and understanding. The company is always moving individuals for self development and new experiences within the company. The company is great to the community that supports our growth. We do alot of volunteer work as a group and help those in need. I know that if something were to happen in my personal life that my work group would be there to support me during a time of need. The company also cares about employee relations and focuses on improving a problem instead of letting it fester and worsen. Overall I would reccommend UPS as a great employer.

Cons

I rotating shifts, and days off are a downside. However, it isn't always the best to work M-F 800-1700 because you never get to really get those everyday things done. By the time you get off work, get the kids. The banks are closed and you have to take the kids to the store with you to pick up food. So it isn't always bad if you work 3rd shift because you have the days to take care of things. Other than that I can not think of any other downside other than dealing with lazy co-workers, which would be a drag at any company.

Advice to Management

I would say that as long as management focused on building up the employees knowledge and giving them opportunities to advance in the company while focusing on the employees needs they will continue to grow. It is nice that management sits down with you and ask so, what are some goals that you want to set for yourself! Then management needs to follow through and help us as employees complete our goals. It only adds value to the company, when you focus and grow your employees knowledge!

RSS Feed </> Embed