UPS Airlines Reviews

High performing

Former Employee - Aircraft Maintenance Engineer  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Aircraft Maintenance Engineer in Louisville, KY

I worked at UPS Airlines full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Highly motivated, highly skilled, dedicated work force. Great compensation plan. Very organized.

Cons

Work life balance leans more toward work, few opportunities for advancement, busiest time of the year is during the holidays, shift work required

Allow more schedule flexibility. People work overtime when things get really busy. When things aren't so busy reward them for the long hours by letting them go home.

UPS Airlines is a mess….

Current Employee - Senior Provisioning Analyst  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Senior Provisioning Analyst in Louisville, KY

I have been working at UPS Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay. Good vacation time. Decent benefits package.

Cons

Too many to list. Overall its ok place to work. But the expectations are unreal because most management personnel have had their careers handed to them. They couldn't spot real talent, potential if it landed in their laps & called them Mommy. Pretty sad really.

Quit playing games. Learn the job yourself. Train. Train. Train your employees.

Continuous improvement !

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor  in  Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Roanoke, VA

I worked at UPS Airlines full-time for more than a year

Pros

Via UPS, one fully develops his/her performance (& other) potential to the maximum.

Cons

Well, there's no such thing as Nirvana ANYwhere, but that's life! :-)

Work/Life (family) balance: room for some improvement.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

UPS-Pretty decent job if you don't mind working 3rd shift.

Former Employee - Administrative Position  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Administrative Position in Louisville, KY

I worked at UPS Airlines part-time for less than a year

Pros

Vacation Time
    Sick Time
    High Pay
    Easy job most nights
    Fun environment if you are on the right belt

Cons

Few hours
    Noise Level-Loud
    Shuttle System
    Temperature
    can be highly stressful
    supervisor can be lazy or just disappear leaving you to do both your job and theirs.

Company asks alot, returns very little

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at UPS Airlines

Pros

The company is very stable. As such you dont have to worry about it going out of business. As part of UPS airlines you get extra benefits that other UPS employees do not which are related to being part of an airline.

Cons

Pay for I.T. employees is VERY below market wages for similar jobs. UPS classifies their IT employees as "management" which means they get stock as part of their compensation. This leads UPS to treat IT employees as "partners" in the business when the business needs them to do something such as work constant weekends, or go out in the middle of the night during a blizzard to move boxes. When it comes time for UPS to do something above employees it rarely happens. There is very much a one way "take take take" culture from the company towards its employees.

Compensate employees fairly and you wouldnt lose your best talent constantly. Its ok to ask extra from your employees so long as you are willing to be willing to give back.

It's good if you're trying to pay for college

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at UPS Airlines

Pros

Semester bonuses, college hour milestone bonuses, great benifits, able to move up in company if willing. Stable job. Pays for college education in Louisville area

Cons

Dealing with Weather elements, no heating or cooling in work areas, unpaid tram rides around air port property just to get to area of work

Race and gender should not matter when it comes to promoting an individual. The individual that is best fitted for the job should get promoted, but that's not how it works there. they follow a race/gender ratio

Stable, Secure, but cheap

Former Employee - Programmer  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Programmer in Louisville, KY

I worked at UPS Airlines

Pros

A very stable company to work for. Very secure, safe, reliable and will not let any employee down.

Cons

Salary is not competitive compared to similar industries in the same region. I beleive that the extremely lower salary does not motivate employees as much as it should.

Compensate employees with money rather than just a "good job".

UPS- A stable and great company to work for

Current Employee - Flight Scheduler  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Flight Scheduler in Louisville, KY

I have been working at UPS Airlines

Pros

The benefits are great, management is flexiable and understanding. The company is always moving individuals for self development and new experiences within the company. The company is great to the community that supports our growth. We do alot of volunteer work as a group and help those in need. I know that if something were to happen in my personal life that my work group would be there to support me during a time of need. The company also cares about employee relations and focuses on improving a problem instead of letting it fester and worsen. Overall I would reccommend UPS as a great employer.

Cons

I rotating shifts, and days off are a downside. However, it isn't always the best to work M-F 800-1700 because you never get to really get those everyday things done. By the time you get off work, get the kids. The banks are closed and you have to take the kids to the store with you to pick up food. So it isn't always bad if you work 3rd shift because you have the days to take care of things. Other than that I can not think of any other downside other than dealing with lazy co-workers, which would be a drag at any company.

I would say that as long as management focused on building up the employees knowledge and giving them opportunities to advance in the company while focusing on the employees needs they will continue to grow. It is nice that management sits down with you and ask so, what are some goals that you want to set for yourself! Then management needs to follow through and help us as employees complete our goals. It only adds value to the company, when you focus and grow your employees knowledge!

Very Good job, but not Great!

Current Employee - Industrial Engineer  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Louisville, KY

I have been working at UPS Airlines

Pros

Benefits, security and vacation time are superior.

Cons

Promotions are not there unless you are willing to relocate or you are a female or minority. This is very frustrating.

Just because you may have had to move and relocate your family to move up doesn't mean that everyone wants to do that. If you want to keep your good talent, you may have to change that policy.

A old school company, slowly gaining new company tactics

Current Employee - IT  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - IT in Louisville, KY

I have been working at UPS Airlines

Pros

The best reason to work for UPS Airlines is the job security. UPS has a history of investing conservatively and making changes when economic times get rough. This means that though there are often hiring freezes, there are rarely job cuts. For benefits, the company also offers decent health insurance, a good self managed 401(k) account (the fees are a bit high at $25 for a stock trade and $35 for mutual fund), a match up to 3% on the retirement account, and a 10% discount on company stock. Older employees get a defined benefit pension, but that has been taken away for all new employees.

Cons

The new "pension" is a defined contribution that is placed into a 30 yr bond, currently earning a real rate of <-1%. Another downside to working at UPS is the risk the company faces from rising fuel prices. The company acts very conservatively, which menas they will not hedge against energy prices as aggressively as Southwest. In my opinion this could really put a bind on things if prices go up as much as I expect them to. Another downside is the way management always asks employees to be a partner in the company since they are given stock. This always comes up when a person is asked to work several weekends in a row, but it is quickly forgotten when that person requests some flexibility in their work hours.

I would like to see senior mangement become more flexible with employees, allowing for more flexible hours, perhaps 4 day work weeks for some. I would like for senior mangement to give more direction when a large project is taken on. Often times, I see things just setting around, waiting for someone to make a decision, and then everyone has to scramble to throw something together at the last minute.

Worked for UPS Airlines? Contribute to the Community!