UPS Reviews in Atlanta, GA

2,521 Reviews
3.4
2,521 Reviews

David Abney

Pros
  • I was unloading trucks for 5 or 6 months before I got promoted to Part-Time Supervisor (in 223 reviews)

• Very structured organization with great benefits and hard working employees (in 212 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the biggest challenge, specifically for Management employees (in 82 reviews)

• I just got hired as a full time driver have to be in a casual drivers for months (in 150 reviews)

More Highlights

122 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Brown

Current Employee - Project Engineer  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at UPS full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Faced Paced
    Diverse Workforce
    Encourages self development

Cons

Silo management culture
    Too big to change quickly

No air condition

Former Employee - Warehouse Worker  in  Forest Park, GA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Forest Park, GA

I worked at UPS part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get paid every week and the shifts can sometime be extremely short. If you work first shift you will get a lot of hours.

Cons

Pay check is not as big, intense labor for little pay, the warehouse is not temperature control, sometimes you will do more work than the next person depending on what truck you are unloading.

Stable and good for those content with not growing

Current Employee - Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at UPS full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice corporate building and a job until you retire.

Cons

Unless you started as a driver and you have patience, forget about advancing and getting a pay that is worth what you can bring to the table. If you have career advancement ambition and you have good ideas and action plans, this is not the place for you; unless, you have 40 years until retirement.

Let all of those white males who have never worked elsewhere retire at once so they let the new ideas become a reality before the competition takes UPS's place.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people to work for, but the tools needed for the job weren't always provided for contractors.

Former Employee - Instructional Designer  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at UPS as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

All the people I worked with were very friendly and easy to get along with. They held meetings at various times to get feedback from the contractors (Instructional Designers) on ways to improve. They were also flexible with our start and end times in addition to letting us work from home several times a week even though salaried employees were not allowed to do that. In addition they encouraged creativity in creating custom made e-learning products.

Cons

This may be different for salaried employees: They didn't have enough licenses for software for all of us to use for rapid e-learning development, for photo editing, and for screen capturing like with SnagIt.

Continue to provide opportunities for contractors to provide input on creating better learning products. Make it happen budget wise so that all contractors have the right software for the job if you continue to provide that kind of thing for these types of employees.

Ramp personel

Current Employee - Ramp Emplyee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Ramp Emplyee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at UPS part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The benefits, pay and vacation is great. There is opportunity to move up with this company

Cons

The working hours and the physical side of the job.

Be consistent, keep management and friendship apart.

only a good job depending on where you live

Former Employee - UPS Package Handler  in  Doraville, GA
    Former Employee - UPS Package Handler in Doraville, GA

I worked at UPS part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

holiday pay, part time hours, benefits, company merchandise

Cons

takes extreme dedication to move up in most cases as in staying with the company in an entry level position for 10 plus years, they only promote from within, package handlers are treated the worst depending on your work location.

give quality and educated employees a better chance to move up

I drive the browntruck

Current Employee - Full Time Package Car Driver  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Full Time Package Car Driver in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at UPS full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The pay and benefits are great when you eventually can get a full-time position. If you enjoy working on your own and can handle pressure, this is a plus. I enjoy meeting the people I deliver to also. I have heard a lot of co-workers who came out of the military compare UPS to that type of a career. It is possible to get an easier job by driving tractors or going into management later on. We get a lot of vacations, over-time, have a pension plan, 401K, company stock discounts, and we get corporate discounts from other companies.

Cons

Driving a package car, which is company lingo for the brown delivery truck, is a very physical job that is tough on your body. So you need to be in good shape from a health stand point. The hours are long too, if you have small children you will miss all their activities Monday-Friday. I have an 8:50AM Start Time, I typically clock out at 7:30PM. I live 27 miles away from my work location, this means I leave my driveway about 7:30 in the morning and I get home after 8PM on an average day. The company constantly comes up with new technology to try to increase the amount of work we do, they also know through GPS and other technology what we do all day.

The company needs to hire more employees and decrease the workload a little bit. They also need to improve servicing our customers better.

Corporate Office

Former Employee - Corporate Office Supervisor  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Corporate Office Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at UPS full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits; they have a tuition reimbursement plan to help pay for your education; they have a management incentive plan where you get awarded shares of stock each year as a bonus

Cons

Not flexible in schedule; work/life balance was non-existent; were only willing to entertain part-time management hours in corporate office for a maximum of one year (at time of employment. May have changed but not sure).

Great company brand; little room for career advancement and development in engineering.

Former Employee - Industrial Engineering Supervisor  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Industrial Engineering Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at UPS full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great company brand and strong culture. Great Management experience if you can deal with the stress of working in the District.

Cons

There is little work-life balance, and will be very stressful working in the District.
    Very "old-school" in some areas, which makes it undesireable for the younger management.
    Few career advancement opportunities outside of Operations.
    If you are in a position within the District, it's difficult to move to another business unit even if your educational/work background fits a position outside of the District.

Have your employees focus on their functional jobs, and put measures in place that will minimize the "all hands on deck" mentallity that has become the norm for the operations. Have a real career development program in place for your staff and support management. Utilize the talents of your people in the areas that they are talented in; don't just put supervisors in operations when their expertise and interests are not operations (example: engineers, accountants, etc.)

SCS

Current Employee - Procurement Analyst  in  Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Procurement Analyst in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at UPS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Hard to get fired.

Cons

Outdated systems, processes, and facilities. Management to high up in the clouds to understand the impact of the decisions they hand down. Nepotism, favoritism and good ole boyish abound, which places unqualified people in positions for which they are not suited. The company will never change because it doesn't need to, UPS will be here. A lot of young employees leave frustrated. This is also an SCS centric review.

They won't listen

Worked for UPS? Contribute to the Community!