UPS Canada

Updated December 12, 2014
2.9

Mike Tierney

Great

I worked at UPS Canada part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay
    Benefits
    Bosses are nice and happy

Cons

Hard work, lots of over time too

Slow down please, get off our backs

Great place to work

I have been working at UPS Canada

Pros

Fast paced environment. Great co-workers.

Cons

None so far it's been great

Keep growing.

Walker/Driver Helper

Current Employee - Walker/Driver Helper in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Walker/Driver Helper in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I have been working at UPS Canada part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great job that allows you to be outdoors, be physically active and meet lots of people. The job is physically demanding. You can easily exceed your 10,000 steps a day!

They promote people from within first.

You work Monday to Friday only. Hours are flexible. Weekly pay cheque via direct deposit. If you work all your assigned shifts, you get a bonus paid out at the end of the contract.

Here’s the lay of the land for a Walker…

Attended an Open House - on-site interview. Was hired within minutes of talking to the recruiter. Filled out their application form and was given a training/orientation date and time to attend, and a list of documents to bring. Was warned that you must be able to lift 70 lbs unassisted. Male applicants were warned that beards have to be removed. Mustaches were OK provided they meet company policies. Fees that will be deducted from your first pay: union dues and criminal record check (total about $50)

Training Day (took about 5.5 hours) – Warning… bring a lunch - watched various training videos and answered several quizzes. Quiz answers were reviewed and corrected. Read and signed various Employee related paper work. Had about one hour training session on using the DIAD. Was given an Employee Package containing an Employee Handbook with contact information (Supervisor, local office phone number, toll free office number, office staff, etc.), short cuts on using the DIAD and steps of what to do if you are unsuccessful on delivering a package, a pad of “Sorry I missed you” notices, and an envelope for COD payments. You then get outfitted with company uniform – shirt, pants, winter coat, waterproof jacket, toque, brimmed winter hat with built-in ear protection.

Had two days of training with a driver to get used to using a DIAD as well as learn the proper processes for package delivery. Then you are on your own making deliveries in your assigned area. If you have issues with the DIAD, you are to call the office for assistance.

Driver will meet you at your house around 10:00 a.m. (start time varies depending on how long it takes the driver to get to your house). Driver will have a cart for you to use to make your deliveries. If there are deliveries in your area, parcels will be temporarily stored at your place. You are then taken to a designated area to make your deliveries such that you make your way to your house to pick up the parcels that were left there. Once deliveries are complete, you then contact the driver to come pick you up and take you to your next assignment. At the end of your shift, you are to call the office to let them know approximately your start time and your end time to ensure you get paid.

Walkers will be pushing a cart loaded with parcels for the designated delivery area. The cart is similar to a jogging stroller except there are no bells and whistles such as cup holders, etc. Packages are placed into the cart and there is a cover to protect the packages from the elements. The cart can be converted to be pulled by a bicycle, if you are a cyclist.

Depending on the delivery area, you may have lots of hills to walk. Some walkers will find this job very stressful as you need to meet quota of 7 stops per hour. If you are not used to walking long distances in all kinds of weather, then this may not be the job for you.

Cons

Would be nice if we knew what neighbourhood we are walking ahead of time. Would be nice if they gave us a map of the area we are working so that we can take advantage of using the trails to get from point A to point B.

Would be nice if the pay was a bit more than minimum wage given that we are outdoors in all kinds of weather. Not many people would be attracted to this job given that there are many other minimum wage jobs that are indoors.

Remind people to bring a lunch for the training/orientation session (or provide snacks).

For Walkers, include city map with trails in our Employee Package. This would help speed up deliveries in residential areas.

Include a list of stretches with diagrams for people to do after they are done their shift. Helps with any aches and pains. Talk about how long to hold the stretches and how many repeats to do. Possibly demo these in training.

Would be nice if during the training/orientation session that they go over what type of clothing would be good for walkers. For example, wear technical base layers underneath the uniform. Avoid cotton as your base layer. Since you are on your feet all the time you may want to wear compression pants/tights, and compression socks/sleeves.

A Wreck

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at UPS Canada part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice co-workers to work with

Cons

management was a mess with unqualified people as your supervisors

Completely revamp management

Nothing to get excited about

Former Employee - Driver in Halifax, NS (Canada)
    Former Employee - Driver in Halifax, NS (Canada)

I worked at UPS Canada part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Few dollars a week if you can put up with yhe abuse

Cons

UPS supervisors belive in their inept minds that they are gods

Hire management with people skills teach them that they do not have to abuse employees rights for productib=vity

Okay, but expect the worse

Former Employee - Package Preloader in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Package Preloader in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at UPS Canada part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work-life balances are ok although you should expect to be forced to earn every dollar whether you are loading or unloading and you will be tired at times. You can get up to $4,000 for schooling provided you pass your classes and show your transcript. The max pay after 2.5 years is pretty high.

Cons

If you are looking at growing a career here, for the love of God don't. You have to be a real sycophant to want to move up the ladder here. The benefits get smaller and smaller as time goes on and the company is typical of that of an American company where it's profits before people. Do this job only while you are going to school. This is part-time and turnover is pretty high so if you make it pass probation and somehow last a year or longer, it's considered a miracle.

You guys really should consider hiring more people in the warehouse and expecting one person to do the job of 3 people is absolutely insane. Give more hours to the part-time staff so that they can do their jobs safely and effectively and make the pay far more attractive. Value people before profits and you'll be around for a long time.

Made good wages. Health was affected by the amount of work expected and the long hours.

Current Employee - Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at UPS Canada full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I am only here for the paychecks. Benefits and pension. I have met and worked with some really good people. I think I am the only management person who has tried to treat the staff with respect and understanding. .

Cons

Any other management does not really care about the employees. They may say it to their face that they care, but I have witnessed first hand that they don't. Even Supervisors get yelled at on a continual basis. Do what you are told and keep your opinion to yourself.

Yelling at your subordinates is a sign of a weak leader. Treat everyone with respect. Yelling does nothing positive for the employee or the company.

Fast pace environment, stresfull

Current Employee - Package Handler in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Package Handler in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at UPS Canada part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Tuition compensation and Good Health Benefits

Cons

Short hours, physically tiring, back killer

Great job but could do more for employees

csr

I have been working at UPS Canada

Pros

good pay, good benefits, good environment

Cons

sometimes doors and dirty facility, bad staff

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - UPS Driver in Chestermere, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - UPS Driver in Chestermere, AB (Canada)

I worked at UPS Canada full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Pay, Friendly bosses, Nice co-workers

Cons

Dogs, Long hours, Lots of competition

Nothing!