UPS Canada Reviews

3.2
Mike Tierney

1. Great company

I have been working at UPS Canada

Pros

Everything is great and its fun to work at ups

Cons

I dont see any cons in the company

Advice to Management

I like the management. Great people

2. Not so bad

I have been working at UPS Canada

Pros

Great Money and people to work with

Cons

No personal life at all

Advice to Management

Communicate more. Get to know your staff.

3. Work hard

I worked at UPS Canada

Pros

Everything good work hard and make money

Cons

Easy money to have dont be late and lazy

5. Good Company, Bad Management

I have been working at UPS Canada full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great Union with benefits that can't be beat.

Cons

Horse crap management/supervisors. Trust your union reps and fellow drivers, the supervisors will lie to you in order to make you do what they want.

Advice to Management

Don't talk to me

6. Great

I worked at UPS Canada part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay
    Benefits
    Bosses are nice and happy

Cons

Hard work, lots of over time too

Advice to Management

Slow down please, get off our backs

7. Good company, sometimes political, but promotes within. Company has a good benefits program and treats employees well.

Current Employee - ECS Clerk in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - ECS Clerk in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at UPS Canada

Pros

Promotes within, good people, very good part time pay.

Cons

Somewhat stressful, must be a multitasker

Stay away! This company just want your blood...They are not professional at all.

Former Employee - Supervisor in Brossard, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Brossard, QC (Canada)

I worked at UPS Canada

Pros

5 minutes from home, education benefits, and continued education.

Cons

No personal life at all. They treat you like a slave.

Advice to Management

They need to be more professional. They don't care about the employee. Just kids thinking that they know how to manage....They don't care if you have to work 75 hours week, they are just thinking about their bonus at the end of the year.

9. Great workplace

I have been working at UPS Canada

Pros

Advancement opportunities, education benefits, and continued education.

Cons

Relocation is a must in order to move up.

10. Great place to work

I have been working at UPS Canada

Pros

Fast paced environment. Great co-workers.

Cons

None so far it's been great

Advice to Management

Keep growing.

11. Walker/Driver Helper

Current Employee - Walker/Driver Helper in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Walker/Driver Helper in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I have been working at UPS Canada part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great job that allows you to be outdoors, be physically active and meet lots of people. The job is physically demanding. You can easily exceed your 10,000 steps a day!

They promote people from within first.

You work Monday to Friday only. Hours are flexible. Weekly pay cheque via direct deposit. If you work all your assigned shifts, you get a bonus paid out at the end of the contract.

Here’s the lay of the land for a Walker…

Attended an Open House - on-site interview. Was hired within minutes of talking to the recruiter. Filled out their application form and was given a training/orientation date and time to attend, and a list of documents to bring. Was warned that you must be able to lift 70 lbs unassisted. Male applicants were warned that beards have to be removed. Mustaches were OK provided they meet company policies. Fees that will be deducted from your first pay: union dues and criminal record check (total about $50)

Training Day (took about 5.5 hours) – Warning… bring a lunch - watched various training videos and answered several quizzes. Quiz answers were reviewed and corrected. Read and signed various Employee related paper work. Had about one hour training session on using the DIAD. Was given an Employee Package containing an Employee Handbook with contact information (Supervisor, local office phone number, toll free office number, office staff, etc.), short cuts on using the DIAD and steps of what to do if you are unsuccessful on delivering a package, a pad of “Sorry I missed you” notices, and an envelope for COD payments. You then get outfitted with company uniform – shirt, pants, winter coat, waterproof jacket, toque, brimmed winter hat with built-in ear protection.

Had two days of training with a driver to get used to using a DIAD as well as learn the proper processes for package delivery. Then you are on your own making deliveries in your assigned area. If you have issues with the DIAD, you are to call the office for assistance.

Driver will meet you at your house around 10:00 a.m. (start time varies depending on how long it takes the driver to get to your house). Driver will have a cart for you to use to make your deliveries. If there are deliveries in your area, parcels will be temporarily stored at your place. You are then taken to a designated area to make your deliveries such that you make your way to your house to pick up the parcels that were left there. Once deliveries are complete, you then contact the driver to come pick you up and take you to your next assignment. At the end of your shift, you are to call the office to let them know approximately your start time and your end time to ensure you get paid.

Walkers will be pushing a cart loaded with parcels for the designated delivery area. The cart is similar to a jogging stroller except there are no bells and whistles such as cup holders, etc. Packages are placed into the cart and there is a cover to protect the packages from the elements. The cart can be converted to be pulled by a bicycle, if you are a cyclist.

Depending on the delivery area, you may have lots of hills to walk. Some walkers will find this job very stressful as you need to meet quota of 7 stops per hour. If you are not used to walking long distances in all kinds of weather, then this may not be the job for you.

Cons

Would be nice if we knew what neighbourhood we are walking ahead of time. Would be nice if they gave us a map of the area we are working so that we can take advantage of using the trails to get from point A to point B.

Would be nice if the pay was a bit more than minimum wage given that we are outdoors in all kinds of weather. Not many people would be attracted to this job given that there are many other minimum wage jobs that are indoors.

Advice to Management

Remind people to bring a lunch for the training/orientation session (or provide snacks).

For Walkers, include city map with trails in our Employee Package. This would help speed up deliveries in residential areas.

Include a list of stretches with diagrams for people to do after they are done their shift. Helps with any aches and pains. Talk about how long to hold the stretches and how many repeats to do. Possibly demo these in training.

Would be nice if during the training/orientation session that they go over what type of clothing would be good for walkers. For example, wear technical base layers underneath the uniform. Avoid cotton as your base layer. Since you are on your feet all the time you may want to wear compression pants/tights, and compression socks/sleeves.