UPS

UPS Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 16, 2014

UPS Chairman and CEO D. Scott Davis

D. Scott Davis

Pros
  • I was unloading trucks for 5 or 6 months before I got promoted to Part-Time Supervisor(in 222 reviews)

• Very structured organization with great benefits and hard working employees(in 209 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the biggest challenge, specifically for Management employees(in 82 reviews)

• I just got hired as a full time driver have to be in a casual drivers for months(in 149 reviews)

86 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Former UPS Truck Unloader

Unloader (Former Employee) Hodgkins, IL

ProsGood pay, health benefits, 401K, paid vacation

ConsExtreme physical, minor injury possible, serious busy while November and December, take test monthly

Challenging especially in the work life balance side of things.

Account Executive (Current Employee) Elgin, IL

ProsStable company, good benefits and a highly competitive base pay.

ConsManagement says they are moving away from service and documentation towards a more traditional sales role but it is going to take a long time to get the old guard out and new blood into leadership positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep evolving. There are still times when the old ways peek their heads through and you lose sight of what your Business Development team is trying to accomplish.

Pain in the butt.

Unloader (Current Employee) Hodgkins, IL

ProsPaid training, benefits after a year, and yearly raises.

ConsToo much favoritism, work you like slaves, after a while the money doesn't help anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize your best workers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hard Work

Pre-loader (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThis was a seasonal position I did for additional side cash. I was able to talk to my managers and supervisors a lot while working. After my manager got to know me and my future plans, was very encouraging of me taking a position with UPS while earning my degree. That it could take me places there and sticking it out while I went to grad school.
    -Management and Safety showed concern
    -Consistent hours
    -Wear anything, however, steel toe is required

Cons-Hard work for the pay
    -Was informed workers don't get medical until they've worked for 1 1/2 years and dental and vision after 1 year. (Working seasonal is not included in that)
    -When I asked what number do I call if I had an emergency and need to call that I would be running late or to call off, I was told, "Let me give you a tip. Don't call off."

Advice to Senior Management-Increase in wages for starting off and/or graveyard shift employees

Satisfied

Shipping Clerk (Current Employee) Westmont, IL

ProsThe crew I am involved with is one of the best interactive one's ever, supportive, knowledgeable, and dedicated.

ConsActually, I can think of nothing for this location

Hard work decent benefits few guaranteed hours

Part Time Package Handler (Current Employee) Palatine, IL

ProsThis job is a good workout, gives collage students tuition reimbursement, and gives excellent health insurance after a year of service.

ConsOne is only guaranteed 3.5 of work each day and the job itself is very physically demanding, There is no air conditioning inside of the warehouse or any of the trailers the loaders/unloaders will be working in. The part time supervisors are generally stressed and yelling is not uncommon in the warehouse.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on a better approach to incentivizing higher production standards other than empty threats to part timers jobs be they that of supervisors or package handlers. UPS can perform the same function it always has with a less stress inducing approach to increasing production standards.

Alright place to work

Part Time Package Handler (Former Employee) Hodgkins, IL

ProsGood first job, other than that I really wouldn't recommend it.

Conshard work little pay, expect you to get a full load down by yourself with no help for little pay

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise The Pay Maybe You'll Get Better Workers

Very Demanding Company Promotes from Within

Part Time Supervisor (Current Employee) Hodgkins, IL

ProsI like UPS because the promoted me to my first supervisory/management position. The do promote from within. I was unloading trucks for 5 or 6 months before I got promoted to Part-Time Supervisor. The insurance benefits are great. I have Health, Vision, and Dental. I also have a company 401K and I participate in a program that allows me to purchase UPS stock at a 5% discount.

ConsThe pay is average to below average. I make $16.00 and hour and I feel like I earn about twice that. Also there is an extraordinary amount of negative feedback that you get from upper management on an almost daily basis. Basically, you work very hard, and then come into work the next day to get told what you're doing wrong and what you're not doing well enough. Also, I've had my job threatened about 5 or 6 times. Management is really, really old school. I don't even want a promotion to Full Time Supervisor. I don't think it's worth it. I'm transitioning out of the company. That's how I found Glass Door.

Advice to Senior ManagementCool it with all the negative feedback. Everyone there (OK not everyone) works very hard for not a whole lot of money. When you have nothing but negative feedback for your frontline supervisors day in and day out, it creates a negative work environment. Also, don't threaten to fire me unless you plan to do it. That is a really poor management tactic that has been used on me 5 or 6 times in the year or so I've been a Supervisor.

Great pay and benefits. Hard to deal with management.

Automotive Mechanic (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsExcellent pay and great benefits. Thank goodness for union's

ConsYou are never praised for doing a good job. And as soon as you make one mistake they want to fire you.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your employees. Not only how they work and find out what is going on in their life .

Great Expereince

Part Time Package Handler (Former Employee) Bedford Park, IL

ProsGood benefits, Keeps you in great Shape

ConsStarting off Partime, Hourly Pay

Advice to Senior ManagementOrginization skills

Worked for UPS? Contribute to the Community!