UPS Freight

Updated August 16, 2014

2.6

UPS Freight President Jack A. Holmes
Jack A. Holmes

Pros
  • They have GREAT benefits even if your only part time (in 12 reviews)

• Shares some of the good benefits with UPS Parcel (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be difficult to achieve with the work load (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management only care about the numbers, which there are hundreds of different measurements (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

a good job if your living in your mom's basement

Current Employee - Dock Worker  in  South Holland, IL
    Current Employee - Dock Worker in South Holland, IL

Pros

If your unemployed it's a decent job. they hire almost anyone and don't fire you after one mistake

Cons

low pay for new dockworkers. Not easy to become full time. No vacation time for part time employees. alter your schedule with little notice

make sure the the dockworkrs have enough materials to do their jobs.

Long career at UPS

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor  in  South Holland, IL
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in South Holland, IL

Pros

Strong corporation, longevity in the trucking industry. Fellow employees a pleasure to work with. Good bonus structure if goals are accomplished.

Cons

Tedious work schedule, lack of support from mid-level and upper management. UPS Freight Supervision not treated equally when compared to UPS Parcel supervision. Un realistic goals set by former UPS Parcel upper management that migrated to UPS Freight. There is a very different playing field between UPS Parcel and UPS Freight, local terminal management lacked any back bone to help or assist front line supervision. This caused morale decline and overall job dissatisfaction at all levels of local terminal management.

Assist your front-line supervision better. UPS Parcel has a 10:1 supervisor to employee ratio. UPS Freight has easily a 40:1 ratio.

Internship under the communications department at the Richmond,Va headquarters of UPS Freight

Current Employee - Communications Supervisor  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Communications Supervisor in Richmond, VA

Pros

The benefit of working here is your ability to shine in what you do, and promote yourself according to performance. There are so many different specializations and diversity in the job descriptions per department that a communications manager could very well have been a customer service agent a few months before.

Cons

The cons are classic for every big company that has been around since before the civil rights acts were ratified, there is a common lack of women in meaningful leadership positions. However this is not seen as intentional but rather just consistent with the non-progressive trends of past corps.

There should be an emphasis on what is expected of you and what is encouraged. There should also be a common understanding of what you can and cannot do during your prescribed work time.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you are willing to put in the time, you can have great opportunities.

Pros

The people really do make the company. Everyone works together to get the job done.

Cons

Work-life balance can be difficult to achieve with the work load. Expectations are high, which is good, but can often add stress.

Good Company

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

Pros

The company is very protective of the Brand and that made me proud to work for them. They pay well and are generous with time off during the work year.

Cons

There is little to no work / life balance. There is entirely too much focus on taking tests that do not benefit the employee, but rather the company. The biggest complaint I had was the expectation that I would be available when I was on vacation..... that was a reality.

Figure out how to be more of a 'people' company - allow the employee that has time off to separate from the company to enjoy that time off.

Nothing But a Joke

Current Employee - Dock Worker
    Current Employee - Dock Worker

Pros

Fun work that keeps you busy and time goes by fast. Good benefits. A lot of freedom.

Cons

Everything is a Con. Nothing but gossip and complaining at this place. Same faces everyday crying and complaining about every little thing whenever they are making good money to do work that is not very hard and are given a lot of freedom. Management kisses the Union's behind and lets the Union push them around, very disappointing. Leadership has faded away, and now its as if management is working for the drivers and not their bosses. Management only cares about production numbers. Does not care about doing whats right for business or for employees. You can only make decent money here if you are a driver and want to work your life away as a slave or as a Terminal Manager and have a constant headache and constantly be afraid of being fired. Terminal Manager wastes all day on conference calls locked in office getting chewed for what happened the day before This company needs to focus on the future and new ideas for change for improvement instead of questioning what happened and why it happened the day before.

Management is less paid than union employees and is under paid to say the least. Raises for management is based solely on performance/production numbers. Very hard to move up in this company. Implementing the wrong and unorganized business model that is a failure. Not enough management personal to watch the employees running a muck on the loading dock thinking they can do whatever they want. Facilities are filthy, old, and rundown. Management is always glued to the computer screen or phone and does not have enough time to do the real work they are supposed to do. Drivers do nothing but cry and moan and try to prove to management that they are right and management is wrong. Drivers want to be their own boss and make there own decisions, or tell management the decisions they should make that are best for them not the company. Nothing but a fight everyday within a company that is supposed to be United as one and where Team Work is supposed to achieve great things to overcome obstacles and out do competitors. Stay away from this company.

Start taking charge. Start taking action. Stand up for whats right. Question employees, get to the bottom of things. Stop being a joke.

Sell your soul and you get plenty of green paper

Current Employee - Driver
    Current Employee - Driver

Pros

Money, Benefits, UPS on your Resume

Cons

Disorganized, inconsistent, Old technology, I will stop here I could write an essay.

Take a deep breath operation and shift sups you are set up to fail.

Not the place for women.

Current Employee - Clerk
    Current Employee - Clerk

Pros

I love the challenges and the fast paced environment of the job. Good pay.

Cons

Nothing is ever done to correct problems, it is fudged and sent on to the next person or left for the next person to fix. No training. Management has no clue how to do any of the jobs, if you have questions they shrug their shoulders and tell you to leave it for the next person. Lots of juvenile adults that would rather joke and pull pranks than do their job. Very high turnover, no one wants to stay to be treated like a child. You are made to feel worthless if you can't do something. Management acts like you disrupting them if you ask any questions and they never give you an answer they always respond with I'll let you know. You are threatened daily, too many bathroom breaks, to many cigarette breaks we will fire you. (Most all management takes as many breaks as the want especially tobacco). Getting time of is a fight. Being a woman in a mans world is difficult... The constant harassment is unbearable at times and I am afraid to say anything because I feel nothing will be done to fix the problem and that I will be made to feel like I am exaggerating the situation and that I will be retaliated against.

Cross train every level of management in every job. Every single detail is important. Losen the reigns on your employees...they know what they are doing.

I feel like UPS Freight is going down.

Former Employee - PT Appointment Clerk  in  Nanuet, NY
    Former Employee - PT Appointment Clerk in Nanuet, NY

Pros

In the beginning it was nice hours, fair pay for the work you did, but they take advantage of you and pile more work onto you and blame you for their mistakes.

Cons

Nice beginning, bad ending. Part time clerk working from 12:30 - 11:30 at night! My title was a Appointment Clerk. In the beginning I was making appointments only, it was great, hours were 12-5, I loved my job, fair salary, WELL! our bill scanner quit and they asked me to "help" with the scanning job until they hired a new one... Which was over 2 months later I should add. In the end of my PART TIME job supposed to be doing only appointments I was making all appointments (approx 150 calls a day), pre-appointments (approx 50 more calls a day), responding to ECM's, making copies, getting phone numbers and fixing information, answering 95% of all incoming calls, organizing and filing paperwork, scanning bills (250 a night) and delivery receipts (250 a night), doing re-scans, some days I would work 11 hours!!! AT A PART TIME JOB!!! ALL OF THAT with only $10/hr!!
    I was getting harassed by this rude truck driver and getting called really bad names almost every night and being degraded by him and when I told the supervisor AND the manager they wouldn't do anything about it, After begging for them to help me or hire another scanner and them never doing anything about it, I was so overwhelmed I finally had enough and quit. UPS used to be a great company to work for way back when, now I laugh at people who work there...

Take it easy on the small clerks, you supervisors make $20k more than me a year and the managers get $40k more than me a year and you pile up so much work on the clerks so YOU can put your feet up while making the big bucks. I felt so pushed around and taken advantage of. When you tell people their job description is making appointments PERIOD, then don't add 8 more jobs to their plate that's not their problem AND under the same hourly pay rate. Really messed up.

Good College Job

Current Employee - P/T Dockworker  in  Palatine, IL
    Current Employee - P/T Dockworker in Palatine, IL

Pros

Cool people, Evening hours, long lunches

Cons

They are cheap. Old equipment that barley works. Very little room for advancement

Worked for UPS Freight? Contribute to the Community!