UPS Freight

Profile Unclaimed

what a disappointment

Current Employee - City Driver in Montgomery, NY
    Current Employee - City Driver in Montgomery, NY

I have been working at UPS Freight full-time (more than a year)

Pros

the UPS brand name on your resume

Cons

Low pay til top rate is reached in 3 to 4 years, fear-mongering management, they preach safety safety safety but will send you out with 20 stops and send you ten more pickups throughout the day while driving a 48ft trailer in the city like the driver is not gonna feel overwhelmed, then grill the driver on why hes might be late or miss stops, drivers are just a number, managers are super rude and could care less about drivers, lots of throwing others under the bus

stop the use of fear mongering, us against them managerial tactics, treat everyone , drivers, dock workers, and even other managers with respect. stop preaching safety safety safety then pile drive a driver with 25 stops a day! this isnt parcel, these are not little box trucks we are driving here, these are semis! if a driver is given 20 plus stops a day, even 15 stops a day is a lot, then that driver might feel overwhelmed and RUSHED, who cares how many safety meetings or training we have , you give a guy in the city too much hes gonna feel like hes behind and thats how accidents happen! even though legally the company can always say its up to the driver to make the call and drive carefully, giving a guy too much work is a safety hazard that ups and most other ltl companies are guilty of, the difference is ups should be a cut above the rest and be a safety example, but as it stand now its anything but that! be nice to people!

Where do I begin?

I have been working at UPS Freight full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I've only been with the company a few months but so far, NONE!

Cons

This has got to be THE MOST unorganized company I have ever had the displeasure of working for. One would think a company of this size would have its act together. NOT EVEN CLOSE! Training is a joke. No one will assist with anything. I'm a huge believer of first impressions and I made a GIANT mistake take no this position. I regret it every day.

Get a training program in order and put it to work. You WILL lose potentially great employees.

Poor Management

I have been working at UPS Freight

Pros

Receive benefits after thirty days.

Cons

Horrible work life balance. Poor management. Terrible morale.

Better training, better hiring and hiring of more individuals to cut down on incredibly lengthy work days.

Stepping Stone Company

I worked at UPS Freight

Pros

OK place to stay 6-12 months to get experience and then move on to a good job with another company

Cons

Long hours, low pay. Moved from position to position at whim of Management with no employee input.

You get what you pay for and the low pay structure will keep turn over high

Loosing customers on purpose

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at UPS Freight full-time

Pros

Nothing good to say right now

Cons

Very difficult to work with the current management

It would seem to me that not sending a driver out on his full bid run would be a formula for loosing some very profitable customers. Many of the people I see every day are asking questions about the Tucson service center and why they don't get the delivery schedule that they have been promised.

If an individual is looking for a very demanding job and enjoys a challenge this company provides that opportunity.

Current Employee - Local P & D Driver in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Local P & D Driver in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at UPS Freight full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Full-time company drivers are highly compensated for their contributions. The company also provides a pension along with the opportunity for employees to purchase stocks and invest in a retirement program. Paid vacation is provided for full-timers and the number of weeks allotted are determined by one's years of service.

Cons

Too much micro-management. The focus has shifted away from servicing the customers needs to meeting production numbers. Little to no input in solicited from those on the front-lines, which demoralizes the workforce. The company relies too much on computer models, and thus neglects the individuals who make it possible to function as an organization.

Trust yourselves. If you have hired the right people and trained them properly they will not disappoint you. There is a tendency to treat the employees as if they are children, which is a reflection of the choices made during the hiring process. Too much time is spent on corrective action and too little on training. The more information the employees have the better understanding they will have of how the processes work together. Work on improving communication between the employees and management. Foster a team environment instead of the current "us verses them" mentality.

Very serious

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Old Forge, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Old Forge, PA

I worked at UPS Freight part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Money, consistent raises for non-salary, fast-paced, interesting, challenging

Cons

Unprofessional, dirty, hectic, no pto, not offered full-time shift

Remodel the terminal

Demanding

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor

I have been working at UPS Freight full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent salary and Great benefits... But based on 40 hours a week when in reality you work close to 60

Cons

Terrible schedule, up to 12+ hour shifts, no lunch break, no breaks period, additional weekend hours...your just a number here....modern day corporate slavery at its finest

Do t be afraid to spend a little money, hire more management personnel, would help disperse responsibilities and lighten the workload, improving the work/life balance, which would improve the morale and commitment of your management team, which would improve your ever so coveted "numbers"

Horrible place to work

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at UPS Freight full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I can't think of anything positive to say about the company or management. People have actually committed suicide because of the pressure they are under. Very unethical people in management.

Cons

Horrible company. They could care less if you die on the job. Unethical, cheat customers.

descent but very hard work for the pay...

Current Employee - Pre Load in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Pre Load in Newport News, VA

I have been working at UPS Freight part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

benefits are great and quite a few people can be a joy to work with

Cons

hours, pay and work load...

listen to the employees that do the job day in and day out that want to help make this company successful...

UPS Freight Photos