UPS

UPS Chairman and CEO D. Scott Davis

D. Scott Davis

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Part-Time Supervisor

Part Time Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at UPS part-time for more than 5 years

ProsAs a part-time supervisor at UPS, I probably make more than most of my fellow college students. Despite having to pay for insurance, the cost is almost miniscule. You get 5 days off a year as well as two weeks of vacation starting out which bumps up to three weeks after 5 years. It's a great stepping stone to get into other jobs. I've been considered more heavily for other positions at the company since I have the management experience.

ConsHow ever many bad days you have as an hourly employee, multiply that by 5, possibly even 10. It is extremely stressful and demanding. The raises are performance based and you can only do so much as your employees will want to. You aren't guaranteed job security by the union although its still very low-risk. You have to enforce rules and boss people around with practically no authority to do so. I've had employees cuss me out and flip me off to my face and I could do nothing about it except go get a union rep or my boss.

Wonderful!

Accountant (Current Employee)
Memphis, TN

I have been working at UPS full-time for more than a year

ProsThe pros are the co-workers.

ConsNo cons to report at the moment.

Its was a good job if your in a position to sacrifice your time.

Part Time Package Handler (Former Employee)
Memphis, TN

I worked at UPS part-time for less than a year

ProsIts a hard company to work for until you put in your first year. Until then expect low pay for backbreaking work. If your in a position to give year making vary little money your investment will be grand. But I have a family, I cant work for $10 an hr only working 6 hrs a day not to work much more than that. Delivery drivers make good money but its a bidding WAR to get that far.

ConsNeed to be in a good financial situation to allow for your time to be invested in the company. Packages get thrown around by people who are to high to be fired over. Its union. Good luck getting on full time, the terminal in Memphis, manager told me its been over 10 years since they hired full time position.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job. Although closer attention needs to be drawn on package handling and whos handling them.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great!!!

Part Time Package Handler (Current Employee)

I have been working at UPS part-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf your in college this a great way to go. Insurance is always nice to have when you are young and sometimes dumb. All the other benefits here really provide some nice options when you finish with school. And in the summer you can pickup an extra job if needed for extra cash. A lot of the older guys run there own bushiness in my hub and don't mind extra hands in the summer. There could also be opportunities to drive package cars also.

ConsIts hard work to most people, but if do your stretches and preserve your body you can turn it in a workout.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou know there is a union handbook, and so do we....so why try to "trick" us? i.e. unloading 900 boxes per hour is not a requirement to go into management.

A Work in Progress

Picker (Current Employee)

I have been working at UPS

ProsManagement has changed drastically within the past 3 months. To say the least it has improved morale. There seems to be a genuine intent to improve existing conditions and allow employees to be more involved with daily operations. The benefits are as good as advertised and the discounts come in handy with a wide variety of categories.

The work is not difficult and with the right training, is actually easy. Of course, that depends on which account you work in.

Each department is different but overall the people in the company are helpful, cheerful, and willing to help. There is a team atmosphere that has developed lately.

ConsThe most obvious is the pay scale. When you bust your tail for six months and are told that you have reached the highest levels of evaluation seen in years, it brings you back down to earth when you are only compensated with a $.25 raise. In theory, you would have to work 12 years to receive a $3 dollar raise. Considering this company deals with medical supplies, starting out at $10 is almost laughable (and that includes forklift operators). The biggest cons under that were inconsistency in management. That and extreme micromanagement of the managers which to some degree, trickled down to employees. Honestly, this is appearing less with the change in management.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice would be to focus more on the well being of the people. They have been told to offer advice to help management but there have been those who offer it but have been ignored bymanagement or put off. What's worse, after nonchalanly ignoring the feedback, some managers would ask again for the employees advice, thus annoying them.

Employees would be more productive if you just tried to listen. By attempting to understand the employee's situation, they would be more apt to comply with your direction and invest more trust in your leadership.

the realism of a ups driver

UPS Driver (Current Employee)

I have been working at UPS

Prosthe salary and the health benifits

Consit is a vrry physically demanding labor intenion job , with very long hours for ups package car and feeder divers like myself which takes very valueble and important time away from the family life. also we never shut down due to weather of any extreme . also trying to get permission to get time off is often denied . when package car drivers need help on a route we rarely receive any or none at all. often times working during our1 hour of lunch time, which time we are required to take each day by our collective bargining contract agreement

Advice to Senior Managementalways remember where you came from or started out at , what it was like as a part-time employee before you were promoted to full-time employement.

Worked for UPS? Contribute to the Community!

UPS Videos

UPS – Why Work for Us?

As a global leader in package delivery and supply chain solutions, UPS is passionate about innovating new ways to make business work better, from complex international distribution networks to local business deliveries… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UPS reviews and ratings in Memphis, TN — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UPS CEO D. Scott Davis. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by UPS employees.