UPS

UPS Chairman and CEO D. Scott Davis

D. Scott Davis

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

UPS Midnight Sorter

Part Time Package Handler (Current Employee)
Omaha, NE

I have been working at UPS part-time for less than a year

ProsPay is reasonable, coworkers are helpful, job is quick to pick up, paid workout

ConsManagement attempts to be friendly but fails miserably, quotas are unreasonable, safety, while preached about is often neglected, tries to hard to emulate the military but it’s clear that no one there has a real clue about how the military actually operates, the hours can wreck havoc on your home life, would be a better deal if the hours were extended a bit

Don't waste your time! It WAS a good company but now they could care less about hourly employees and customer service!

Preload Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at UPS part-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits are great if you stay hourly, but you have to wait a year to get benefits. The part time supervisors have to pay alot for healthcare and it's not as good as the hourly's. It's like getting paid to work out. There are various shifts to fit different schedules.

ConsHard work, little to no recognition, small pay raises, and you have to kiss up to upper management to advance in the company. They don't like when you challenge their ideas or way of doing things.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote employees from within instead of bringing in people from different companies who haven't worked in this type of environment before. Tell your security employees they should do their job and not harass employees daily about things going on outside work. You should cross train more of your employees. Also you should have your part time supervisors train in all areas of operations. And upper management should have to spend a few days in the operations working side by side with the hourly employees to truly understand the job, instead of just calculating production numbers on a computer program.

Overall, UPS was better than most employers but I did not feel that the company culture was a good fit for me.

Part-Time Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at UPS

Pros- Very strong customer focus
 - Great hours for a part time job, especially for college students
 - Nice tuition re-reimbursement
 - Physically active work duties feel great
 - Great people to work with

Cons- Very hierarchical company culture
 - Employees are discouraged from thinking for themselves
 - Sluggish internal logistics (replacing vacant positions, staffing, etc takes forever).
 - Inefficient or counter-productive job duties are assigned, adding unnecessary steps
 - Limited benefits package choices, one-size-fits-all approach
 - Stressful work environment
 - Centralized decision making in Atlanta attempts to micro-manage but is out of touch with individual centers throughout the country

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to adopt a more bottom-up approach to management. If people are treated like intelligent human beings, they will be capable of thinking for themselves and solving problems. Just because a corporate policy has good intentions does not mean it will yield good results.

UPS loader

Loader (Former Employee)

I worked at UPS

ProsYou get insurance when you are a part time worker. You only work 4 hours a day which is good because the work is hard.

ConsHard work for the money even though it is only part time. If your a hard worker they will put you in the hardest trailers. Temperatures in the trailers are extreme depending on the weather

Advice to Senior ManagementThe work is to hard for the pay. Should be better incentives or rewards for those that have to work in the highest volume trailers.

Great job for college students, be patient and work hard if you want a career.

Sorter (Former Employee)

I worked at UPS

ProsThe benefits package is amazing. For a part-time job, the benefits are better than most companies offer their full-time employees. In addition, UPS offers tuition reimbursement, up to $1000 per semester for part-time hourly, and up to $2000 per semester for part-time supervisors. If you care about social responsibility and corporate giving, UPS is one of the biggest contributors to the United Way.

ConsWorking in operations is hard work. Whether you are a loader, unloader or a sorter, expect to sweat. As one could expect in a warehouse environment, it is hot in the summer and cold in the summer. It is possible to get promoted to a part-time supervisor, but it can be hard (long wait) to go full-time.

Advice to Senior ManagementNice job with creating largest fleet of alternative fuel vehicles. Drivers need slightly longer shorts.

Is it worth the headaches? Can your body handle it? probably not

Driver (Former Employee)

I worked at UPS

Prosthe best thing about working for ups is the pay and benefits. They are hard to beat even though the job is physically demanding. Peak season is the hardest time of year . If you like driving alot and do like the satisfaction of getting something accomplished every day then it is fine. meeting people from all different backgrounds and work enviroments is also cool. For some reason people are attracted to that brown uniform and are usually very friendly. The retirment benefit are very good if you can make it that long. When you are delivering you are pretty much left alone

ConsManagement has a us against you mentallity. I realize that we are a union company but they pit driver against driver, and manager against manager all the time. They can be very unrealistic in there goals and really do not care to understand the driver side of the story. The hours can be very long and it is difficult if you have a family because you do not know what time you may be home. I would not recommend this job if you have a family or need to take time off unexpectedly. The temperature extremes are sometimes hard to get use to.

Advice to Senior ManagementI do not know what number crunchers are out there, but thay have taken the human element out of management. It is all about the numbers anymore.

UPS is sacrificing its soul for a stock price that's going nowhere quickly.

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee)
Omaha, NE

I have been working at UPS

ProsThere is good job security. The insurance is pretty good but may be getting worse for management people.

ConsWhat other company has its management employees making less money than the employees? This is comparing yearly salaries versus hourly wages for the year and not by the hour. If comparing by the hour the difference is far worse yet. The insurance benefits are relatively good for management but not as good as for the employees. It's great to promote minorities, but the company will overlook very qualified white males in order to promote someone who isn't necessarily qualified.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop basing all decisions on numbers. This company has never been the same since it went public. If upper management doesn't get the pay issue and number of hours worked under control, more and more management people will go looking for jobs elsewhere.

Worked for UPS? Contribute to the Community!

UPS Videos

UPS – Why Work for Us?

As a global leader in package delivery and supply chain solutions, UPS is passionate about innovating new ways to make business work better, from complex international distribution networks to local business deliveries… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UPS reviews and ratings in Omaha, NE — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UPS CEO D. Scott Davis. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by UPS employees.