UPS Reviews in Pittsburgh, PA

2,517 Reviews
3.4
2,517 Reviews

David Abney

Pros
  • I was unloading trucks for 5 or 6 months before I got promoted to Part-Time Supervisor (in 223 reviews)

• Very structured organization with great benefits and hard working employees (in 212 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the biggest challenge, specifically for Management employees (in 82 reviews)

• I just got hired as a full time driver have to be in a casual drivers for months (in 150 reviews)

More Highlights

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

One of the better companies

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPS part-time for less than a year

Pros

Union job, fun coworkers, "figure it out by doing it yourself" training method. Part time workers get full benefits after one year of work. Promotion within provides excellent opportunities for advancement. Great learning experience and a better workout.

Cons

Compensation is average, about $10 per hour for hard work. If you work downtown you have to pay for parking which is an absolute nightmare.

Consider raising the starting pay. The pay rate and amount of work we're given isn't balancing out.

Overworked.

Current Employee - Driver  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Driver in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPS part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very competitive pay. Great Benefits. Great discounts on various products around the country such as discounts on cell phone bills. Decent respect from the public.

Cons

Overworked. Very strict which is okay to ensure safety but, it's all about the numbers not truly about safety of the drivers, otherwise the trucks would have less work on them.

Discretely fight to add more routes.

Work life balance a joke in this boys' club

Former Employee - Finance Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay, decent benefits that are being eroded year after year

Cons

For management, work-life balance is a sick joke. The salary they pay you is great, but if you break it down on an hourly scale, you'll find that you aren't making that much. If you are a woman or a minority, you'll find yourself in a weird position at UPS.....on one hand, you'll be valued because you help your department manager hit their "diversity" goal. On the other hand, you'll never be respected by your peers because they'll always see your promotion for your gender or your skin color, not your ability or work ethic. There's also an unwritten rule about fraternization that holds women back from the "good ol' boys" club because they aren't allowed to go out golfing with the menfolk and therefore can't network with them. Divorce is high among management because of the hours and because they will move you to a new city with very little notice. When they want rid of you, rather than fire you for performance, they simply shift you from miserable assignment to miserable assignment until you quit.

Embrace true diversity, not just the diversity that gets you a few points on the Balanced Scorecard.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good for a seasonal gig, but would be rough long-term!

Former Employee - Part Time Package Handler  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPS part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Went from applying to working within a week
    - Was given more hours within a reasonably short time

Cons

- Rough hours (~10PM-8AM)
    - Hyper-scrutinized to the point where I couldn't work properly because my manager was physically in the way
    -The pay wasn't stellar, especially considering the odd and difficult hours
    -The work itself was physically exhausting!

I understand that you need to make sure that we're adhering to safety guidelines, but don't enforce it to the point where it actually slows the work!

Great Money and Benefits...but they work the Hell out of you

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPS

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits plus paid vacations

Cons

work almost 60 hours per week

Treat others how you would want to be treated

Brief, cold

Former Employee - Driver Helper  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Driver Helper in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPS

Pros

Great exercise, excellent benefits. You seem to trade off excellent pay for poor hours and vice versa. If you're in the van, invest in a nice pair of boots.

Cons

Very cold, boring job for the most part. Poor loaders can make the day drag for a while. Eat heavy in the morning.

You're making money hand over fist with eCommerce. Quit giving your drivers 13-hour days everyday. Maybe invest in a few more trucks and drivers.

great pay if they would work you. takes 7-10 years to get full time.

Current Employee - Delivery Driver  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPS

Pros

Great pay if you get the hours
    Excellent Brand
    Excellent Benefits

Cons

only those with 20+ years get hours. it takes 10 years to work full time. No set schedule. On-call. Cant afford to work here unless you have a working spouse or are independently wealthy. They put a good wage in front of you but you spend years chasing it. work till 8 PM each night if you do work while they leave other drivers at home unemployed while other drivers are out with too much work. Poor Management.

No one gives you a straight answer and they don't care about your welfare. Spread out the work, get the drivers home by 6 and work all the drivers at home waiting to be called. You could cut costs by cutting overtime and working those with less time and less pay more while giving those with more seniority a better family life if we could be home by 6. tough job. Many can't afford to work here in the beginning due to lack of hours granted to those with less than 10 years seniority. Mismanagement of manpower.

sometimes stressful but overall a great place to work

Current Employee - Part Time Supervisor  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Part Time Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPS

Pros

outstanding benefits and a very competitive wage for part time employees

Cons

sometimes very stressful as well as peak season hours worked can be more than you would prefer

take more time to teach each employee and be more patient

not bad

Former Employee - Seasonal  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Seasonal in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPS

Pros

good workout, nice drivers for the most part always work

Cons

false hope of a future, found job posting but was unable to apply till after season

provide more info on openings

Worked for UPS? Contribute to the Community!