UPS

3.5
3,121 Reviews

UPS Chief Executive Officer David Abney
David Abney

Pros
  • Part-time supervisor position is helpful due to possible tuition reimbursement (in 248 reviews)

• Very structured organization with great benefits and hard working employees (in 246 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the biggest challenge, specifically for Management employees (in 94 reviews)

• part-time but sometimes you only work for an 1 hour which total waist of time (in 169 reviews)

More Highlights

Package driver for 27 years

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Auburn, ME
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Auburn, ME

I have been working at UPS (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is excellent .health care is 100 % paid with 100 %coverage...with exception to eye and dental which is about 70%..coverage...pension is outstanding..full package with wages and benefits is worth 130,000 yearly..without a college education I am grateful for the standard of living UPS HAS AFFORDED ME AND MY FAMILY!...and with 27 years of service I now get 6 weeks vacation with 8 sick days..and 9 paid holidays...we work hard like many people in the work force but we are well compensated!.

Cons

The only con is while your children are young you give up a lot of family time..I never got to watch my kids play sports and missed a lot of their growing years...the job can be hard on your home life but if you can make it through those years you and your family will enjoy the financial freedom that UPS provides...and now I look forward to a prosperous retirement!...so hang in there all you young drivers...

Ditch Orion ...95 % if your drivers are loyal and are out there to save time and miles !!! Orion puts ridiculous restrictions on them!!! especially in remote areas...and to upper management I would recommend you compensate your mid to lower management with the same excellent pay and benefits you give us drivers..when they see us drivers with better benefits it makes bitter management..everyone should be able to say they are proud and well compensated to work for UPS...it's what has kept UPS a cut above the competition quality employees for quality pay...

Part Time is great

Current Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Edison, NJ

I have been working at UPS part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you like physical work, then this is the place to be.
    -Nice and easy
    -People to talk to while working

Cons

-Dealing with management / supervisors expecting the impossible from you, but then again, that's most work places
    -Can be very unsafe if you don't pay attention at all times

Can't really blame upper management to expect the impossible from us because that's the only way to push numbers higher and higher.

But, what could really help is if someone would come down to the work area and spectate for a bit to see what happens when too much work is passed through an old 40+ year old facility that can't handle the volume of packages that come in present day.

Great opportunity!

Former Employee - UPS Preload
    Former Employee - UPS Preload

I worked at UPS

Pros

Part time - great if working preload and going to college. Helps as a second job too. Benefits are great even for just part time employees.

Cons

If dealing with anything related with handling packages, it's very labor intensive. Sometime long hours if full time. Management works 50 hrs + and sometimes 6 days a week.

I love to driving around to delivery packages

Current Employee - Package Delivery Driver in Garden Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Package Delivery Driver in Garden Grove, CA

I have been working at UPS part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like working in an organized company

Cons

I have no idea about it

seasonal helper

I worked at UPS

Pros

great pay, hard work but rewarding

Cons

heavy boxes, bad seats, short hours

good management

A great company

Current Employee - Industrial Engineering Supervisor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Industrial Engineering Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at UPS

Pros

Everyone knows who UPS is, fringe benefits, pension, financial advice, great medical (I get Blue Cross-Blue Sheild), work-life balance, company retreats.

Cons

The company lost its way in doing business 'for the customer'

Look for ideas to improve the company from everyone not just execs.

It was intense but I learned a lot.

Former Employee - Part-Time Supervisor in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Part-Time Supervisor in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at UPS part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I liked the other people and the people that I managed a lot. I got great practical experience for the next position. They do promote from within and give tuition reimbursement. Great benefits.

Cons

The upper management is mostly chauvinistic. The union and management conflicts can also be stressful. Overall each shift is stressful, it's a race to the end and it's stressful to get everything done on time. Management only notices when you're failing and never when you're doing well.

You should talk more with your part-time supervision team and help them develop professionally. Take the time to get to know employees. Offer more recognition to those who do their jobs well.

good company to start off

Current Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at UPS

Pros

you get out early in the morning to do other things like school, hangout with friends... very hard to get fired from the job once you pass the trial period, only if you don't show up on time to work many days.

Cons

the work is hard and a lot of employees are not motivated, new hires tend to pick up the work of others. Depending of the shift you may have to get up at 2 am

educate more your supervisor and don't make it all about production. Because of the frame of thought you guys tell your supervisor, many wrong things occur with a day by day operations such as practicing unsafe methods, neglecting the quality of work ( package handling and retention of damaged packages), and mistreatment of employees.

Very very tough job. You definitely work for your money here.

Current Employee - UPS Sorter in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - UPS Sorter in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at UPS part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Health benefits are great and the employees are pretty cool

Cons

Not that many hours and hard work

There is definitely opportunity to move up in this company

A positive and upbeat work place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elkhart, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elkhart, IN

I worked at UPS

Pros

This was by far the best job I've ever had! Definitely great people to work for. They made sure to take care of everything to keep the business running smoothly and still made you smile on a day to day basis. You come to work and feel like you are with family. That's hard to find! As a bonus; the pay is great & benefits are even better!

Cons

The only con that I have with UPS is the hours. It can be very tricky working late nights having children