UPS

2,791 Reviews
3.4
2,791 Reviews

David Abney

Pros
  • Part-time supervisor position is helpful due to possible tuition reimbursement (in 248 reviews)

• Very structured organization with great benefits and hard working employees (in 246 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the biggest challenge, specifically for Management employees (in 94 reviews)

• part-time but sometimes you only work for an 1 hour which total waist of time (in 169 reviews)

More Highlights

Honest work (written during peak season)

Current Employee - Delivery Driver
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver

I have been working at UPS full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As a current package delivery driver I have to say that the starting pay is good in my area, the benefits are phenomenal and my co-workers/management are even better. The work done on a daily basis is demanding both physically and mentally, if you can handle that day-in day-out its a great opportunity and a truly fun job to have!

Cons

The hours can be rough sometimes, not uncommon to be done with your route and called upon to help another driver. Very stressful sometimes when learning a new route on your own, 220 stops in an unknown residential area is rough.

Keep it up, great so far!

Not too bad of a gig

Current Employee - Sorter in Horsham, PA
    Current Employee - Sorter in Horsham, PA

I have been working at UPS part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-The schedule is constant, so you'll never have to worry about your hours changing and you get weekends off
    - Sometimes, particularly around the holidays, you'll have the opportunity to pick up extra shifts if they need help. You don't have to commit to anything or schedule anything... just show up and you can get yourself some extra money
    - For the most part, great co-workers
    - Union protection... nearly impossible to get fired
    - The medical coverage is GREAT. I got wisdom teeth surgery and head surgery, and they only costed $5 for every doctors visit
    - Decent amount of vacation, personal/sick days
    - Generally room for advancement if one desires
    - Physical labor... it's a great work out!

Cons

- Pay isn't great, especially in the beginning. But put in some time and it's decent enough
    - Some of the worst management I ever worked for. They would attempt to take an authoritative approach, such as harassing you if you tried to call out sick. I once had to pester managers about several extra hours I never got paid for, and it took almost 3 months before it was finally resolved. Lots of red tape, which usually leads to no resolution at all. Long story short, I was supposed to transfer to another hub. I did all the paperwork, got everything said and done, and I was supposed to get a phone call. Never was contacted, and couldn't get in contact with them. End of the story, I never heard from them or worked for them again.
    - Some unsafe work practices. Some unloaders will take pride in flooding your belt until the point where boxes are falling all over the aisle for people to trip over, and some managers will actually encourage this behavior
    - Warehouse weather... intense heat in the Summer and freezing cold in the Winter
    - The union protection can sometimes be a bad thing. There are people who will work there who really shouldn't have jobs there... and you'll probably find yourself having to carry their dead weight
    - Heavy initial pay-in for union dues, and you have to pay them every month. Also, the more you get paid, the higher your union dues become
    - DUST. You'll be covered in it, and even worse, you'll be breathing it in all night. Some people actually wear face masks for this

Harassing your employees won't make them work any harder or faster. Have a better system for handling administrative issues... maybe get HR off the floor and back in their offices. If this happened, my transfer papers would have never gotten lost, and I would still be a UPS employee to this day!

Education with diversity in cultures, and professional treatments.

Former Employee - UPS Sorter in Doraville, GA
    Former Employee - UPS Sorter in Doraville, GA

I worked at UPS part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent benefit, education assistance, full medical benefit, physical health like going to gym, etc.

Cons

Working with some workers do not care about other's maturity, with no control of their languages, no respects, other concerns etc. Some people feel like they own the company, when they are just employee like yourself, just because the are supervisors. To survive, you just have to keep to yourself, focus on your work and forgive everything.

Management has constantly make sure the company's policies and rules are respected by everybody. I is very good to have theat 1800 number to report incident on professional at work, but the respect of the company's rules must be observed on a daily basic. There are some employees who really treat others very bad at work and get away with it.
    I work for this company from 01/16/06-03/24/14 in Doraville, Georgia. When I resigned, they documented as fired until the Georgia Department of Labor warned them to document as resign. They refused to transfer me to PA when I requested. Hence, I was left with no choice, but to resign.

I love my job! Its not for the lazy or the easily stressed!

I have been working at UPS

Pros

Great People.. Great Service...Hours go by fast....2 raises a year....great insurance plans

Cons

Some people within the facility are big complainers, but that's everywhere you go.

Tough but lots of opportunity

I have been working at UPS

Pros

Cadillac health insurance, no premiums, just co pay. Union representation. Healthy pension.

Cons

Long hours in all conditions. Tough, physical, hard work.

Treat employees with respect and you'll receive respect from them.

Great money-TOUGH job

Former Employee - Driver in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Driver in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at UPS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits and salary at UPS are exceptional but you have to work for it. They will get every cent out of you and then ask for more. You have to bleed brown for the company as they say. The union looks out for the employees and is money well spent. Health insurance is awesome and second to none. I was proud to wear the uniform and felt respected by customers.

Cons

Management can be difficult to work with at times. They will lie to you and tell you what you want to hear. They are all about the numbers and making their job easier.

Many managers have never even done the same jobs as the hourly workers and therefore cannot relate to the challenges of the job. Stop hiring off the street and hire from within.

UPS Driver

I have been working at UPS

Pros

UPS provides excellent treatment for its employees. The pay is outstanding and the benefits are ridiculous. Oh and what's that? Retirement too? I mean seriously....

Cons

It's hard work... not something that any one off the street can do. If you can get through the chaos and the I sane speed of your normal work day you will soon find that this is indeed a gregreat place to work.

Awesome.great experience great people.just awesome

Current Employee - Driver Helper in Wayne, NJ
    Current Employee - Driver Helper in Wayne, NJ

I have been working at UPS part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Trained on the spot.they are very organized and care about their workers very much. They are very thorough on their training and focus a lot on you (the worker) s safety first and foremost. Even as a seasonal helper with no benefits I can honestly say they are a great company to work for.I look forward to my future in the company as a full time driver. The seasonal helper is a great opportunity to get your foot in the door if you are considering a full time position at ups and would highly recommend being a helper to anyone who is thinking about a full time position.

Cons

None that I can see. It is strenuous physically but if you are Conditemed properly it is no problem.

You guys are great keep it up!

Great company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scranton, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scranton, PA

I worked at UPS

Pros

Very flexible and understanding when there are concerns that arise

Cons

Some policy deficiencies that make it hard to follow

Keep all rules across the company consistent

This company has been a true daily learning experience

Current Employee - FT Supervisor in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - FT Supervisor in Columbus, OH

I have been working at UPS

Pros

Our compensation along with our medical benefits are very good. The company is strong and stands to be around for many years to come

Cons

Work-life balance is difficult in the line of work. Also, opportunity for advancement is a challenge unless you are able to move.

have very tough skin in this envorinment