UPS

3.3
3,132 Reviews

UPS Chief Executive Officer David Abney
David Abney

Pros
  • Part-time supervisor position is helpful due to possible tuition reimbursement (in 248 reviews)

• Very structured organization with great benefits and hard working employees (in 246 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the biggest challenge, specifically for Management employees (in 94 reviews)

• part-time but sometimes you only work for an 1 hour which total waist of time (in 169 reviews)

More Highlights

Package driver for 27 years

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Auburn, ME
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Auburn, ME

I have been working at UPS (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is excellent .health care is 100 % paid with 100 %coverage...with exception to eye and dental which is about 70%..coverage...pension is outstanding..full package with wages and benefits is worth 130,000 yearly..without a college education I am grateful for the standard of living UPS HAS AFFORDED ME AND MY FAMILY!...and with 27 years of service I now get 6 weeks vacation with 8 sick days..and 9 paid holidays...we work hard like many people in the work force but we are well compensated!.

Cons

The only con is while your children are young you give up a lot of family time..I never got to watch my kids play sports and missed a lot of their growing years...the job can be hard on your home life but if you can make it through those years you and your family will enjoy the financial freedom that UPS provides...and now I look forward to a prosperous retirement!...so hang in there all you young drivers...

Ditch Orion ...95 % if your drivers are loyal and are out there to save time and miles !!! Orion puts ridiculous restrictions on them!!! especially in remote areas...and to upper management I would recommend you compensate your mid to lower management with the same excellent pay and benefits you give us drivers..when they see us drivers with better benefits it makes bitter management..everyone should be able to say they are proud and well compensated to work for UPS...it's what has kept UPS a cut above the competition quality employees for quality pay...

Part Time is great

Current Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Edison, NJ

I have been working at UPS part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you like physical work, then this is the place to be.
    -Nice and easy
    -People to talk to while working

Cons

-Dealing with management / supervisors expecting the impossible from you, but then again, that's most work places
    -Can be very unsafe if you don't pay attention at all times

Can't really blame upper management to expect the impossible from us because that's the only way to push numbers higher and higher.

But, what could really help is if someone would come down to the work area and spectate for a bit to see what happens when too much work is passed through an old 40+ year old facility that can't handle the volume of packages that come in present day.

Great opportunity!

Former Employee - UPS Preload
    Former Employee - UPS Preload

I worked at UPS

Pros

Part time - great if working preload and going to college. Helps as a second job too. Benefits are great even for just part time employees.

Cons

If dealing with anything related with handling packages, it's very labor intensive. Sometime long hours if full time. Management works 50 hrs + and sometimes 6 days a week.

Great Opportunity

Current Employee - Delivery Driver
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver

I have been working at UPS full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I was very fortunate to be hired off the street into a full time driver position, I had no idea what I was getting myself into, but this has turned out to be the best job I've had!

The pay is good enough for my age and will increase over time to a very good level. The benefit package is phenomenal, so far it seems I am covered for everything and do not pay for any of it directly (I suppose I do through union dues).

If you like fast paced work that allows you to problem solve all day long this would be a great job to look at.

Cons

There are not many things I do not like about this job, although peak season (winter months) is rough on the work/life balance. At times the relationship between management and drivers can be a bit strained, but that comes with all union positions, so it is not exclusive to UPS.

This job isn't for the meek-hearted

Current Employee - UPS Sorter in Burtonsville, MD
    Current Employee - UPS Sorter in Burtonsville, MD

I have been working at UPS part-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Employees make you feel welcome, and will help you out if you seem to be struggling.
    - The schedule can be seen as positive or negative, but it's good to me since I never have to worry about outrageous work hours.
    - Gets you used to working in a challenging environment, along with keeping you in shape.
    - Weather isn't a factor as you work indoors.
    - Pay and benefits are exceptional.
    - Job growth in the company is unparalleled, when exploited correctly.
    - It honestly reminds me of my high school hallways, except everyone grew up, which is very comforting to me.

Cons

- Can be VERY intimidating, the warehouse looks like a cold and calculating machine from the outside, and the workers don't LOOK as nice as they actually are.
    - The training isn't too helpful, but mostly because you're going to pick up a lot of the things you learn through experience.
    - The night shift hours can destroy a sleep schedule if you're not careful, and while safety is touted highly, it's a dangerous job.
    - The chart for learning zip codes can be overwhelming along with the pace, as the Burtonsville hub has a high drop-out rate for new hires.
    - The job can be seen as unprofessional because of how casual the other sorters and certain supervisors keep the job, in attempts to form better bonds with management.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Dallas, TX

I have been working at UPS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very organized place to work. You always know what your tasks are and what you need to accomplish. The goals are aggressive but once you get the swing of things you know how to approach your day. Management can be hit or miss, depending on the team you land on...fortunately my manager is great to work with, however I know a couple of others I'd probably leave before I worked for them.

Cons

Physical work and aggressive goals.

Timing is everything in the shipping business but be a little more understandable about people's life and what they have going on.

a great place to grow in this type of business

I have been working at UPS

Pros

weekly pay not micromanaged and great benefits

Cons

there is no concerns to report

Look before you leap. This place is watchful.

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at UPS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

But I must explain to you how all this mistaken idea of denouncing of a pleasure and praising pain was born and I will give you a complete account of the system, and expound the actual teachings of the great explorer of the truth, the master-builder of human happiness.

Cons

On the other hand, we denounce with righteous indignation and dislike men who are so beguiled and demoralized by the charms of pleasure of the moment, so blinded by desire, that they cannot foresee the pain and trouble that are bound to ensue.

Today's popular version of Lorem ipsum was first created in the mid-1980s for Aldus Corporation's breakthrough desktop publishing program PageMaker for the Apple Macintosh.[1] Aldus adapted older forms of the lorem text from typography samples to use in PageMaker's graphics and word processing templates.

It was intense but I learned a lot.

Former Employee - Part-Time Supervisor in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Part-Time Supervisor in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at UPS part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I liked the other people and the people that I managed a lot. I got great practical experience for the next position. They do promote from within and give tuition reimbursement. Great benefits.

Cons

The upper management is mostly chauvinistic. The union and management conflicts can also be stressful. Overall each shift is stressful, it's a race to the end and it's stressful to get everything done on time. Management only notices when you're failing and never when you're doing well.

You should talk more with your part-time supervision team and help them develop professionally. Take the time to get to know employees. Offer more recognition to those who do their jobs well.

i liked the work didn't like the hours or pay.

Former Employee - UPS Loader in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - UPS Loader in Louisville, KY

I worked at UPS part-time (less than a year)

Pros

well if your looking to go to school great place to work for there financial benefits for school and possibly further advancement in the company over time while your in school.

Cons

you don't have time to get a fulltime job anywhere else because of there unstable work hours which leaves you with empty pockets.

you need to up the pay for the type of work for the little hours you do give people hate being bruised up cut up scraped up sore and for what a 200 dollar check a week with 20 hours with gas and insurance you cant afford mcdonalds every day on that amount of pay or god forbid you smoke cigs theres a 4rth of your money its just very stressful