UPS

3.5
3,128 Reviews

UPS Chief Executive Officer David Abney
David Abney

Pros
  • Part-time supervisor position is helpful due to possible tuition reimbursement (in 248 reviews)

• Very structured organization with great benefits and hard working employees (in 246 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the biggest challenge, specifically for Management employees (in 94 reviews)

• part-time but sometimes you only work for an 1 hour which total waist of time (in 169 reviews)

More Highlights

Package driver for 27 years

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Auburn, ME
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Auburn, ME

I have been working at UPS (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is excellent .health care is 100 % paid with 100 %coverage...with exception to eye and dental which is about 70%..coverage...pension is outstanding..full package with wages and benefits is worth 130,000 yearly..without a college education I am grateful for the standard of living UPS HAS AFFORDED ME AND MY FAMILY!...and with 27 years of service I now get 6 weeks vacation with 8 sick days..and 9 paid holidays...we work hard like many people in the work force but we are well compensated!.

Cons

The only con is while your children are young you give up a lot of family time..I never got to watch my kids play sports and missed a lot of their growing years...the job can be hard on your home life but if you can make it through those years you and your family will enjoy the financial freedom that UPS provides...and now I look forward to a prosperous retirement!...so hang in there all you young drivers...

Ditch Orion ...95 % if your drivers are loyal and are out there to save time and miles !!! Orion puts ridiculous restrictions on them!!! especially in remote areas...and to upper management I would recommend you compensate your mid to lower management with the same excellent pay and benefits you give us drivers..when they see us drivers with better benefits it makes bitter management..everyone should be able to say they are proud and well compensated to work for UPS...it's what has kept UPS a cut above the competition quality employees for quality pay...

Great opportunity!

Former Employee - UPS Preload
    Former Employee - UPS Preload

I worked at UPS

Pros

Part time - great if working preload and going to college. Helps as a second job too. Benefits are great even for just part time employees.

Cons

If dealing with anything related with handling packages, it's very labor intensive. Sometime long hours if full time. Management works 50 hrs + and sometimes 6 days a week.

Part Time is great

Current Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Edison, NJ

I have been working at UPS part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you like physical work, then this is the place to be.
    -Nice and easy
    -People to talk to while working

Cons

-Dealing with management / supervisors expecting the impossible from you, but then again, that's most work places
    -Can be very unsafe if you don't pay attention at all times

Can't really blame upper management to expect the impossible from us because that's the only way to push numbers higher and higher.

But, what could really help is if someone would come down to the work area and spectate for a bit to see what happens when too much work is passed through an old 40+ year old facility that can't handle the volume of packages that come in present day.

A great company

Current Employee - Industrial Engineering Supervisor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Industrial Engineering Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at UPS

Pros

Everyone knows who UPS is, fringe benefits, pension, financial advice, great medical (I get Blue Cross-Blue Sheild), work-life balance, company retreats.

Cons

The company lost its way in doing business 'for the customer'

Look for ideas to improve the company from everyone not just execs.

This job isn't for the meek-hearted

Current Employee - UPS Sorter in Burtonsville, MD
    Current Employee - UPS Sorter in Burtonsville, MD

I have been working at UPS part-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Employees make you feel welcome, and will help you out if you seem to be struggling.
    - The schedule can be seen as positive or negative, but it's good to me since I never have to worry about outrageous work hours.
    - Gets you used to working in a challenging environment, along with keeping you in shape.
    - Weather isn't a factor as you work indoors.
    - Pay and benefits are exceptional.
    - Job growth in the company is unparalleled, when exploited correctly.
    - It honestly reminds me of my high school hallways, except everyone grew up, which is very comforting to me.

Cons

- Can be VERY intimidating, the warehouse looks like a cold and calculating machine from the outside, and the workers don't LOOK as nice as they actually are.
    - The training isn't too helpful, but mostly because you're going to pick up a lot of the things you learn through experience.
    - The night shift hours can destroy a sleep schedule if you're not careful, and while safety is touted highly, it's a dangerous job.
    - The chart for learning zip codes can be overwhelming along with the pace, as the Burtonsville hub has a high drop-out rate for new hires.
    - The job can be seen as unprofessional because of how casual the other sorters and certain supervisors keep the job, in attempts to form better bonds with management.

i liked the work didn't like the hours or pay.

Former Employee - UPS Loader in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - UPS Loader in Louisville, KY

I worked at UPS part-time (less than a year)

Pros

well if your looking to go to school great place to work for there financial benefits for school and possibly further advancement in the company over time while your in school.

Cons

you don't have time to get a fulltime job anywhere else because of there unstable work hours which leaves you with empty pockets.

you need to up the pay for the type of work for the little hours you do give people hate being bruised up cut up scraped up sore and for what a 200 dollar check a week with 20 hours with gas and insurance you cant afford mcdonalds every day on that amount of pay or god forbid you smoke cigs theres a 4rth of your money its just very stressful

Very very tough job. You definitely work for your money here.

Current Employee - UPS Sorter in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - UPS Sorter in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at UPS part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Health benefits are great and the employees are pretty cool

Cons

Not that many hours and hard work

There is definitely opportunity to move up in this company

I love to driving around to delivery packages

Current Employee - Package Delivery Driver in Garden Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Package Delivery Driver in Garden Grove, CA

I have been working at UPS part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like working in an organized company

Cons

I have no idea about it

seasonal helper

I worked at UPS

Pros

great pay, hard work but rewarding

Cons

heavy boxes, bad seats, short hours

good management

good company to start off

Current Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at UPS

Pros

you get out early in the morning to do other things like school, hangout with friends... very hard to get fired from the job once you pass the trial period, only if you don't show up on time to work many days.

Cons

the work is hard and a lot of employees are not motivated, new hires tend to pick up the work of others. Depending of the shift you may have to get up at 2 am

educate more your supervisor and don't make it all about production. Because of the frame of thought you guys tell your supervisor, many wrong things occur with a day by day operations such as practicing unsafe methods, neglecting the quality of work ( package handling and retention of damaged packages), and mistreatment of employees.