UPS Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
UPS Chief Executive Officer David Abney
David Abney

Pros
  • part time shift with good benefits (in 248 reviews)

• Great benefits from the employer (in 246 reviews)

Cons
  • NO work/life balance if you are in a position of or near operations (in 94 reviews)

• In many locations it can take 13 years to get a full-time job at UPS because they have thousands of part-time employees working full-time hours at (in 169 reviews)

1,261 Employee Reviews

1. Business Development

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at UPS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The upside is job security, you really have to violate the rules to be terminated. The pay is decent, not the highest but not the lowest. The medical benefits are good along with 401K and stock purchase options.

Cons

There is heavy favoritism in most departments (I worked in several due to promotions and lateral moves). It can be difficult to advance depending on department/region; some have more movement than others.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Please learn to discern your good employees from your bad, slacking off ones.

2. It's ok

Former Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Hodgkins, IL
    Former Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Hodgkins, IL

Pros

Great benefits, has a union nod also helps with college

Cons

Very physical job they really work you

3. Pre-Load at UPS Springdale

Former Employee - Pre-loader in Springdale, AR
    Former Employee - Pre-loader in Springdale, AR

I worked at UPS part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

UPS is a great place to be employed, but it is a miserable place to work. They have really good benefits and a schedule that is very well suited to college students. One great thing is, when I left work, i didn't think about work until it went in the next day. I never got a call on my day off. Holidays are pretty generous.

Cons

Management is very aggressive. There is dissonance between the union and management. Management can make or break the experience. I worked there over five years both in the morning and for a time on the evening shift. Evening was much better. The stress just wasn't as high.

Advice to Management

Management should be a bit less intense. There was far too much fear based leadership. I rarely got the feeling that management cared about me as a person. I think UPS should evaluate these things.

Handy

Former Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Convenient place to work, nice people usually. Flexible, strong union, hard to argue with that.

Cons

High crunch, hit or miss management. Management shifts so often its hard to feel like you're working as team.

Advice to Management

Your workers are people, and although there is a strong corporate culture, if you treat them like they are on your team you'd probably be amazed.

6. Supervisor

Current Employee - Ramp in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Ramp in Eagan, MN

I have been working at UPS (Less than a year)

Pros

excellent tuition reimbursement and health benefits. Good way to gain work experience in an operational career. Many careers in a wide range of fields.

Cons

Upper management likes to make decisions for an operation they havent worked in for 30 years from an office. They also need to learn to trust their supervisors.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to learn to trust their supervisor and not micro-manage as much. When implementing new safety procedures it would be wise to include the input of the people who actually do the work, not someone whos sitting in an office.

7. Technical projects

I have been working at UPS full-time

Pros

Good benefits, simple interaction and communication among cross functional teams,

Cons

Upper managers can be more condescending and may not have studied or know the basics about the job function area they manage.

Advice to Management

Try to speed up project approval process and learn more about emerging technologies that can be helpful and should be allowed on projects.

8. Barely working

Current Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA

I have been working at UPS part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good job, with benefits after a year. and tuition assistance. Employees are very friendly in my hub, contributing to an overall positive atmosphere.

Cons

Hard work, when they say stay hydrated, they mean it. I have hardly had any hours, only working three days out of two months of employment. Work is an as needed basis for new employees for a while until you receive a permanent schedule. So, you may not work frequently in seasons with little demand like Summer. So, don't expect a regular paycheck. Because I chose the Twilight shift, I have to wait until around 3:50 pm every day to see if I am working on any particular day. This really cuts into time I can do things during the week, especially during my summer vacation time. And, most of the time I call in, I am off work.

Advice to Management

I would love to work more, don't hire me just as a filler position.

9. Loader/unloader

Current Employee - Loader/Unloader in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Loader/Unloader in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at UPS part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for so faince I've been working for them.

Cons

You do have to have a strong work ethnic to work here, it's for the strong minded person and strong mentally as well physically.

Advice to Management

Communication always needs improvement at all levels. If you want to become a better company communication is the key.

10. hard to advance

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Terre Haute, IN
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Terre Haute, IN

I have been working at UPS part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits and a great resume builder for someone looking to be a professional in the industry

Cons

Its all about who you know at this company.

Advice to Management

Need to pay your sups more money. They are the cogs that make the machine run that is UPS

11. Decent employer for part-time work

I worked at UPS part-time

Pros

- Workload was rarely too intense (except for peak season) - Weekly bonuses were nice and big during peak season - Training for new hires was thorough and easy to understand

Cons

- During peak season, hours doubled or tripled to full time+ - Pay was apparently a bit lower than competing warehouse jobs (not including seasonal bonuses) - Supervisors never really seemed to know what was going on, who was where, etc - High turnover rate means many people are inexperienced, and anyone who is good at the job will be endlessly frustrated by their incompetence - Hard to juggle this with another job due to fluctuating hours

Advice to Management

Train and hire supervisors more discerningly. Work on encouraging new hires to stick around.

Showing 1,261 of 4,239 reviews