UPS Reviews

Reset
3.4
UPS Chief Executive Officer David Abney
David Abney

Pros
  • part time shift with good benefits (in 248 reviews)

• Great benefits from the employer (in 246 reviews)

Cons
  • NO work/life balance if you are in a position of or near operations (in 94 reviews)

• In many locations it can take 13 years to get a full-time job at UPS because they have thousands of part-time employees working full-time hours at (in 169 reviews)

4,084 Employee Reviews

1. Do not work at UPS

Current Employee - Driver in Watertown, NY
    Current Employee - Driver in Watertown, NY

Pros

benefits are very good. you get paid to exersize.

Cons

Extremely physical worrk compared to pay considering what the managers make.

Advice to Management

Shut up and listen, digest, and actually implement changes that don't just benefit the managers.

2. Great.

Current Employee - Service Provider in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Service Provider in West Palm Beach, FL

Pros

1) Health Benefits 2) Paid Vacation 3) Steady Work

Cons

1) The wages pay the bills, but for the hard work we do, the risks we take driving, and the disrespectful conditions of being manipulated in opposite directions (from customers and management), I feel we are severely underpaid. 2) It's very unsanitary and unhealthy work. 3) Union support is corrupted if not completely non-existent in South Florida. 4) Both management and employees generally seem to be ambivalent to policy, contract, ethics, and common decency. There is much evil at UPS.

Advice to Management

I'm not impressed.

LTIPS (Long Term Incentive Plan) Destroying UPS

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The good reasons to work for UPS are gone.

Cons

The culture has changed. You used to be a partner for life. Since we went public, the company stock has been worthless. It's not just my thought it's proven by our management committee instituting the LTIPS program. it gives the highest 100 to 200 or so employees extra compensation. The extra compensation is taken directly from all other employees. We used to get 15% of profits distributed to all management employees. Now they take a HUGE chunk of that 15% and give it directly to those top 100 or 200 people. Outrageous! They say it's partly to offset loses by those who have options that have been worthless because the top 100 to 200 people can't grow the business. That makes it more outrageous. Options are to entice you to grow the business. You don't grow it and then give yourself HUGE bonus LTIPS checks? What exactly is the enticement for the top 100 to 200 people to grow the business? There is none. They just get huge checks and ask everyone else to grow the business. It absolutely absurd. And even worse, this is at a time when the company is experiencing RECORD PROFITS!!! The record profits are going right into the pockets of those 100 to 200 people. The rest of the people are simply being de-motivated because of the situation, morale is waaaaay down, performance drops as a result. Everything is being outsourced and employees will be laid or fired (it's already occurring) and the only thing that will be left will the Operations (drivers and hubs etc.) and the 100 to 200 people getting LTIPS. Everything else will be outsourced. Jim Casey would be firing all those 100 to 200 and letting the real workers do it right. The stock price has not moved because wall street sees what is happening and knows the top 100 to 200 employees are just raping the company at the expense of the vast majority of the employees. They didn't even communicate the new LTIPS plan to the employees. We found through an SEC filing. They were to scared to tell us.

Advice to Management

Terminate LTIPS and give your top 100 to 200 a reason to perform better. Let the other employees benefit from the record profits not just the 100 to 200. It's absolutely absurd. We see nothing being done differently from these 100 to 200 people other than seeing them walk around happy and smiling while the rest of us struggle. Scott Davis has still not given a "Hi, I'm the new CEO speech". What's his vision? We wouldn't know. He's too busy wearing wigs.

5. Bad place to work; slave labor; good for losing weight; health benefits went mostly to treat work related injuries

Former Employee - Package Loader (Part Time Union) in Saddle Brook, NJ
    Former Employee - Package Loader (Part Time Union) in Saddle Brook, NJ

Pros

to lose weight, health benefits for part time work

Cons

lack of manpower, extremely demanding physical work for low hourly pay, give lazy, less hard working, undeserving employees more desireable positions and keep hard working deserving employess in non desireable positions, poor tools and equipment, outdated facilities, poor management unable to properly run there sections resulting in poor performance and delayed delivery, extremely high turnover, too many employees leave due to back injuries and other work related injuries.

Advice to Management

offering employees the option of higher wages as opposed to health benfits might help with employee retention and keeping workers happy. I would say close to 50 % of the employees at my location are single people in their early to mid 20's in age and they do not benefit from health benefits as much as those with families. Increased pay would make sense for those single non married employees.

I'd rather kill myself than work at UPS again.

Former Employee - Preload Supervisor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Preload Supervisor in Austin, TX

Pros

Is this a joke? The hours - 3am-9am in a building with no air conditioning. The pay - You'll be pressured into forfeiting a portion to the United Way. Career advancement - Who needs a career anyway?

Cons

My favorite moment at UPS was reading a message in a bathroom stall that said: "Under Paid Slaves" This organization leads by intimidation. "Management" retains employees with empty promises of career advancement. Want to progress from part-time management to full-time management? You better plan on delivering packages instead. But wait! You have a degree? It doesn't matter - none of my managers had a college education. UPS is managed by truck drivers, not leaders.

Advice to Management

Please stay at UPS for the rest of your career. Spare the rest of us from ever having to work with you again.

7. Supervise at your own risk

Current Employee - Supervisor in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Kansas City, MO

Pros

The benefits are good, but a bit pricey.

Cons

Promotion from within, based on who you know not what you know. My supervisor held up my paperwork to get in the pool for a promotion for six months By the time my paperwork was finally received, I had missed the panel interview sessions and four people got promoted last week without me even being considered.

Advice to Management

Treat people how you want to be treated. Instead of trying to keep people in their place to do your job for you, own up and do it yourself.

Work here at your peril.

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Atlanta, GA

Pros

UPS is a great place to work if your only concern is to obtain their brand on your resume. To focus on the positive aspects of working for the organization, UPS is the dominant player in the international package delivery category. The company tends to promote talent from within and did not have a reduction in force during the time that I had worked there. The company provides stock grants for performance and maintained a comprehensive benefits package which included product and travel discounts. The company has a strong operations orientation which influences all functional areas of the organization. Also, the company began a work/life balance program to retain female professionals.

Cons

Conversely, everything that you would consider to be the best reasons to work for UPS are its worst aspects. The majority of managers at corporate began their careers as drivers or loaders. These individuals have created an insular culture which is resistant to outside professionals with non-UPS experience. There is a high level of turnover since many accomplished professionals leave the organization within two to three years. The causes for this turnover involve the lack of utilization of their skills, assignment to unsuitable roles, cronyism, and lack of confident, effective leaders/managers. New employees with MBAs are denigrated by managers and frequently leave under unnecessary stressful work situations caused by their managers. Given the insular culture, there is virtually no upward progression for supervisor level employees at corporate. Lastly, managers are rated by their employees through anonymous surveys, which causes managers to try and terminate employees that they believe are rating their performance negatively, regardless if the feedback is valid. Employee surveys of management were less than 70 percent favorable of management.

Advice to Management

First, do not place employees in roles that they are not suited for under the pretext of "broadening their experience". Match the employee to the appropriate assignment given their capabilities, the needs of the organization, and the best fit relative to their career goals. Managers within the organization should be thouroughly trained on leadership principals which would reduce employee turnover. People don't quit organizations, they quit bad managers. With that said, if the organization really wants to continue its evaluation of managers by employees, then train the managers to use the results as constructive feedback and to develop plans to act on the vaild concerns of employees. Organizations that are doing this are winning in the long term relative to customer and employee satisfaction.

Great place of employment, difficult place to work for.

Current Employee - Pilot in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Pilot in Louisville, KY

Pros

UPS has security and a competitive salary.

Cons

Relationship between labor and management is adversarial. It is definately a them verses us mentality. It is too bad because it could be the best job and place to work in the industry.

Advice to Management

Lets work together to get marketshare and stop with the step over a dollar to save a penny mentality. Make it a labor friendly place to work......stop being so paranoid.

Unless you start in a hub dont work here

Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Job security - UPS does not typically lay off unless you commit a cardinal sin (i.e. stealing etc). However, this means that there are a lot of people around that are not competent but still remain around.

Cons

All work is based on politics - if you dont spend a lot of time kissing but versus working your job, you will go nowhere in this place.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the entire level of senior management that is not adding any value - these are the ones that are doing absolutely nothing on a daily basis and adding no value. They are the old timers that have a feeling of entitlement versus having to work for a living.

Look somewhere else

Former Employee - UPS Driver in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - UPS Driver in Tampa, FL

Pros

The pay and benefits were industry leading for my position. The paycheck comes weekly. It always cleared.

Cons

Everything else. Every other possible metric reveals that UPS falls short. You are a replaceable piece of meat. It does not matter how hard you worked yesterday, or even how well you did yesterday. You are a piece of crap today, get back to work trying to meet impossible standards. Middle management are the true culprits, with first line managers bearing the brunt of their wrath.

Advice to Management

Nothing a lowly employee can say matters to these ruthless spreadsheet jockeys. They ruthlessly compete, and will spend a dollar without hesitation in order to save a nickel.

Showing 4,084 of 4,191 reviews