URS Corporation

Updated January 13, 2015
Updated January 13, 2015
3.2

Michael S. Burke

Pros
  • Able to work from home periodically, which is very helpful to work-life balance (in 30 reviews)

• Benefits weren't bad, not the best, but what you'd expect from a large company (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of upper management are there because they are connected with other employees (in 25 reviews)

• Senior Management has no vision or direction, and I mean none (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

34 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It was a great opportunity working with URS. The staff members are very professional and a pleasure to work with.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at URS Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Big company that provides a lot of variety for it's engineers and professional staff. Work environment is very professional and they provide the best tools to work with.

Cons

Because it is a consulting firm there is a lot of pressure to maintain sold time. Training and career development is very limited because it is all supposed to be done on your own time. Very high pressure company to work for.

Develop a culture where the employee is valued. Develop managers that know how to help employees focus on their careers and skills which will ultimately improve project performance.

Not the best, not the worst

Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at URS Corporation

Pros

Very good engineers and experts to work with, good work environment and people. Big and interesting projects, delivering quality products to the clients. Standard benefits.

Cons

Very very slow advancement, training is not great. Must be very close to management for advancement... Old boys club in many ways. Standard benefits.

Focused on the bottom line.

Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at URS Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They have lots of offices through so many acquisitions that they have lots of the market, providing jobs.

Cons

Commodity approach to employees. Feel like a cog.

Invest in employees.

No one cares, Some really awful managers - hired by who they know and hate people in general

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at URS Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Really great people in some cities

Cons

Company hates to pay unemployment so they fire by insubordination, even though it's not true. Lay off top people in departments and co-workers treat you like "out of sight, out of mind", they're miserable too. Company bought by another company, future is uncertain. Pay is lower than competitors. You know what's expected of you, overworked, not respected and not an individual.

I hope AECOM pays better and hires managers who know that a happy worker is a productive worker and everyone looks good. Current manager has power trips and is sadistic. Loves to permanently sit feuding people next to each other. Has knee-jerk answer of "no". Threatens to fire anyone who doesn't back her up and lies all the time. There was no growth potential. I got out because HR didn't want to be unbiased or a mediator.

Good Work but Some Drawbacks

Current Employee - Structural Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Structural Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at URS Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the time the work is interesting. Most of the engineers are fairly knowledgeable. Compensation seems reasonable and benefits are good. Generous time off for those that stick around for a while. 9-80 flex schedule is also nice. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Project management can be poor. Average age of the office seems to be about 50. As a result the office seems to be behind the times technology wise. We were just upgraded to Windows 7.

Don't be so cheap.

Great work environment with knowledgable coworkers

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at URS Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, great benefits, low pressure environment, and a wealth of engineering knowledge.

Cons

Compensation tends to start high in the position's range and tend to the midpoint over time. Some projects are stopped very quickly, which can add stress.

Work toward more efficiency. I know that projects are billed by the hour, but efficiency will help win jobs. Also, reduce the number of meetings with highly paid people.

Invoice Specialist/Project Administrator

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at URS Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and good people.

Cons

There is a lot of turn over.

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at URS Corporation full-time

Pros

I experienced a good work-life balance, worked with good people, the company is located near light rail, and there are good career opportunities.

Cons

Benefits have been hacked away in order to support the bottom line (and get the company purchased by AECOM), always needing to be billable, questionable project forecast, doesn't value expertise: if someone younger (and cheaper) can possibly get the work done (even if incorrectly or inefficiently) they will put that person on the job

Annual raises were far below what the rest of the industry was willing to pay

A Great Internship (with an offer) Promptly Followed by Complete Alienation

Former Employee - Water Resources Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Water Resources Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at URS Corporation as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The work was challenging and meaningful. It actually felt like I accomplished something. Professional work environment. URS does in fact do really interesting projects.

Cons

My internship experience (2007-2008) was a bit unorganized from the get-go and underpaid for what I actually produced. Interns in many industries actually get paid what a full time employee would get paid as I had the previous summer. At times, it was hard to ask questions from the managers and find things to do. The worst experience I had with URS was getting a full time job offer after the internship while in school. The managers told me that they were very impressed and satisfied with me. When I approached them after graduation in 2008, they were not in hiring mode. Literally 7/10 of the managers and employees I had worked with on a daily basis the previous summer were laid off due to downsizing and uncomfortable times. I've applied to many jobs with URS since then, but I am convinced that they have a policy that they will never rehire anyone no matter what the circumstances were.

Don't complain about attracting and retaining top talent. Your management strategies underpay, overwork, and completely alienate your employees. Treat your employees with respect.

Fairly typical big corporation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at URS Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Direct management is supportive and there are many opportunities to advance which is also strongly encouraged. The work/life balance is supported through programs.

Cons

Upper management decisions are sometimes baffling and often they are "penny wise and pound foolish".