URS Corporation Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.2
Michael S. Burke

Pros
  • Work life balance is allowed at this company (in 30 reviews)

• Good pay with decent benefits including RRSP, in a large company (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much Micro Managing by Upper Management (in 25 reviews)

• Field offices are very often forgotten by senior management in the main office (in 24 reviews)

1. Big Company

Former Employee - Business Intelligence in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Business Intelligence in San Diego, CA

I worked at URS Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Big company, room for growth, transfers, mentoring. There seems to be endless resources, there is a department for everything. You'll have to go through the relevant department if you need anything, and be prepared to receive a proposal to pay for their work.

Cons

If you're on a project you're more or less a commodity. If you want a raise they will tell you its impossible, nobody in the company is getting raises this year. The only way you'll get it is if you find another job and give them an offer letter, then all of a sudden its not a problem at all.

Advice to Management

At the time I would say that they need to work on business development, my local office didn't have much going on in the region, despite other competitors winning work left and right.

2. Decent company

Current Employee - Principal Scientist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Scientist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at URS Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Seems to adhere to values, integrity Open and supportive environment, little to know enmity among employees, certainly within the office Decent people overall

Cons

Some middle management are too 'micro', especially in terms of financial performance Company as a whole is obviously stock-market driven

Advice to Management

Strengthen middle-management

Review of San Diego URS Office

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at URS Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked for URS as middle management for about a year, before needing to step down from my position to care for my family. Having been in my career over 20 years, I have had plenty of experience with publicly-held science and engineering companies. URS manages to obtain some good talent in their various departments, and does try to engage staff in morale-boosting activities.

Cons

The leadership at URS is extremely poor and I was constantly appalled at the ruthless and disrespectful behavior of their management. URS is only about making profit for their shareholders, and shows very little concern for their employees or their development. Since leaving URS, I have never recommended to anyone that has asked me to apply for a position with this company.

GIS Specialist

Former Employee - GIS Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - GIS Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at URS Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Diversity of projects, good benefits,.

Cons

No room for advancement, low pay, sr management rewarded more then any one else, only concerned about bottom line and profit, mixed PMs, bad PMS stay as long as they can bring in work.

so-so pays the bills. job security one week the next your scared!

Current Employee - Aircraft Worker in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Aircraft Worker in San Diego, CA

I have been working at URS Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

20.18 an hour. Fast paced and pretty exciting work

Cons

Pay is stagnant. Advancement is based off of naval service. we are not in navy anymore.

7. Engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at URS Corporation full-time

Pros

Activities to bring people together

Cons

Watch out - they LIE at Interviews. They leave out details. They will make the position sound better than the reality. They SHOULD tell prospective Employees the reality so they can make an informed decision. Mgmt manipulates. They aggressive push to work you like a dog (if they can push an engineer to work 60 or 80 hours, but only pay them for 40 hours, well it just benefits the Employer).

Advice to Management

Stop lying, manipulating, and being hostile. Be honest, up front and respectful.

Pay attention to the 'little' people

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA

Pros

Nobody is micro-managing me and there's flexibility to work the 9/80 schedule.

Cons

Everything is an emergency in terms of deadlines and there seems to be a strange vibe in terms of culture about the place....no one really likes working with the senior managers either....it's all a bit bizarre really. Plus, there is a definite concern for the bottom dollar and I agree that each office is run completely differently, so one office may have great projects, others not such great projects.

Advice to Management

Communicate, communicate, communicate and provide better feedback and try to find rapport with the little people; after all we are the ones helping to get the dog work done.

RSS Feed </> Embed