URS Corporation

Updated December 14, 2014
Updated December 14, 2014
4.3

Michael S. Burke

Pros
  • Able to work from home periodically, which is very helpful to work-life balance (in 30 reviews)

• Benefits weren't bad, not the best, but what you'd expect from a large company (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of upper management are there because they are connected with other employees (in 25 reviews)

• Senior Management has no vision or direction, and I mean none (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

7 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Worked for URS at TOCDF

Former Employee - Engineering Technologist in Stockton, UT
    Former Employee - Engineering Technologist in Stockton, UT

I worked at URS Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very good company to work for. Good management and fellow employees. Good safety and environment practices.

Cons

There was way to much paper work.

Keep up the good work

Very satisfying, ridding our world of dangerous chemical weapons.

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Stockton, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Stockton, UT

I worked at URS Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere, upper management support when needed

Cons

Middle of nowhere! The facility was built in a very remote location by design. It was on a military installation

Listen to underlings at all phases of projects.

Positive experience working there

Former Employee - Buyer III in Stockton, UT
    Former Employee - Buyer III in Stockton, UT

I worked at URS Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Structure, Salary, coworkers, conditions, training

Cons

isolated, government oversight, work balance

Management at this facility was very supportive of the workforce

I am very satisfied with my employment experience at URS, good work fair compensation.

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer V in Stockton, UT
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer V in Stockton, UT

I worked at URS Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Working environment and good people to work with.

Cons

My Job ended to soon

Keep doing a good job.

Experience was average.

Current Employee - Safety Specialist in Stockton, UT
    Current Employee - Safety Specialist in Stockton, UT

I have been working at URS Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company helped employees with transitioning into other jobs due to the closure of the government installation where I worked.

Cons

To much management. There was an average of 1.5 employees per 1 supervisor position in the safety department. It was an example of how tax dollars are spent paying government contractors and that cost plus contracts only promote overstaffed and overpaid management. If this job would have been in the private sector the company would have never operated in the black. Also, employee evaluations were inconsistent.

Save the tax payers some money and only staff management at appropriate levels to complete the contracts. By overstaffing the management on the government contract jobs you create extreme micromanagement, un-productive supervisors, and employees that only have 2-3 hours of work in a 12 hour shift. This leads to supervisors over managing employees.

Also, the VPP Safety Programs are a complete false evaluation of a facilities safety record. Instead of promoting safety it does the exact opposite. Employees are scared for their jobs if injured and do not report minor injuries or near misses because of the back lash that usually occurs once an injury is reported. Employees don't want to be the person that costs the facility the VPP safety record. Here is one example: An employee's face was sprayed with caustic due to a faulty valve and incorrect valve closures by a previous shift. The employee was sent for off site medical treatment. The employee's face sustained caustic burns but after receiving off site medical treatment the employee was contacted by his direct management and told that he needed to return to work because they did not want their group responsible for a lost work day due to an injury which would change the loss work day running total. This employee should have been allowed to leave the off site medical facility and go home for the day due to the burns on his face. He was in fear for his job even though he followed procedure so he returned to work because it was common for management to find anything they could to blame the employee for an injury and seek undue corrective actions and/or firing the employee.

This is just a short example of the type of things I saw while working at the facility. I was a safety professional but did not dare question the validity of the VPP program and the fact that it may do the exact opposite of what the program is designed to accomplish.

Large, good

Current Employee - Computer Technician in Stockton, UT
    Current Employee - Computer Technician in Stockton, UT

I have been working at URS Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good benefits package, room for movement if desired, pay

Cons

the site I worked at was quite a ways outside of civilization, abt an hour commute each way, but obviously that depends on what contract your working on, or if working for one of the corporate offices

none

Company takes care of employees very well.

Current Employee - Quality in Stockton, UT
    Current Employee - Quality in Stockton, UT

I have been working at URS Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome benefits. Safety of employees is priority. Management is open to new ideas and change.

Cons

Somewhat difficult to move within divisions. Poor communication of job statuses on career web site.

Career job site/application process needs improvement.