URS Corporation, an AECOM company

Updated January 24, 2015
Updated January 24, 2015
3.2

Michael S. Burke

Pros
  • Able to work from home periodically, which is very helpful to work-life balance (in 30 reviews)

• Benefits weren't bad, not the best, but what you'd expect from a large company (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of upper management are there because they are connected with other employees (in 25 reviews)

• Senior Management has no vision or direction, and I mean none (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

Good people, heavy workload

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at URS Corporation, an AECOM company full-time

Pros

The people for the most part are friendly and laid back. Good work/life balance. Heavy workload means always something to do and some job security.

Cons

Upper management is very focused on how billable you are, not good with communicating new processes.

Better communication with employees and more training.

It was a great opportunity working with URS. The staff members are very professional and a pleasure to work with.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at URS Corporation, an AECOM company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Big company that provides a lot of variety for it's engineers and professional staff. Work environment is very professional and they provide the best tools to work with.

Cons

Because it is a consulting firm there is a lot of pressure to maintain sold time. Training and career development is very limited because it is all supposed to be done on your own time. Very high pressure company to work for.

Develop a culture where the employee is valued. Develop managers that know how to help employees focus on their careers and skills which will ultimately improve project performance.

Extremely satisfying. Working for URS at the UMCDF was the best working experience of my life.

Former Employee - QAS in Hermiston, OR
    Former Employee - QAS in Hermiston, OR

I worked at URS Corporation, an AECOM company

Pros

The core management was very proactive with interfacing with field level workers.

Cons

Very demanding (also a plus).

Always be consistent.

Good people to work with but no upward mobility

I worked at URS Corporation, an AECOM company

Pros

Great training, people and networking opportunities

Cons

No room for upward mobility

Seek to develop staff and promote from within company

So far so good!

Current Employee - Transportation/Traffic Engineer
    Current Employee - Transportation/Traffic Engineer

I have been working at URS Corporation, an AECOM company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance is fair. If I want to work more than 40 hours a week I can. Overtime is allowed with supervisor permission which is really great! Most companies do not allow overtime especially for salaried employees like me. The office I work in is large and full of recent hires fresh out of college and the office managers are awesome. I'm able to easily have conversations with the managers and my supervisor about work and even personal things. We are very much a production office and I have the opportunity to learn a lot and shift between different roles within the office. My supervisor seems to really like me and has already mentioned that he would like to help me get into an intermediate position soon.

Cons

My job can get a little repetitive and boring sometimes but that is why I talk with the managers and try to get involved with different projects in the office. There are no bonuses or profit sharing. Office culture can still feel very old school but we are working on changing this.

Keep up the good work!

Potential, but currently not a positive environment

Pros

Worldwide resources and opportunities, potentially. Significant projects. Excellent people to work with, dedicated and talented.

Cons

Merger into AECOM not well planned, at least not well communicated. Lots of talk about valuing people, but not backed up by action.

Communicate substance, not fluff.

Good for those starting out

Current Employee - Environmental Scientist in Clifton Park, NY
    Current Employee - Environmental Scientist in Clifton Park, NY

I have been working at URS Corporation, an AECOM company full-time

Pros

If you are just starting out in the field, this is a great place to get rapid exposure to numerous environmental jobs.

Cons

Flexibility is there when you most need it, but the hours and travel of a field technician (labeled environmental scientist) can be brutal and grueling. There are quite a bit of old school male-female dynamics that occur and there are cases of extreme micro management from project managers. It's a fast paced field and honestly, you will find this in any environmental consulting firm.

Listen to your employees, especially their safety concerns. Upper management should monitor their PMs a little closer as they tend to mentally beat up their field techs - the ones who get the job done so that the client is happy. Upper managenent isn't in the field. Your field workers are not peons. Without them, the job doesn't get done. Remember that. You want quality, treat them with respect.

Not a Great Environment

Current Employee - Graduate Transportation Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Graduate Transportation Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at URS Corporation, an AECOM company

Pros

Pay is decent and get to experience different facets of Civil Engineering.

Cons

- Humiliated by senior managers (I was treated better by fast food managers before college)
    - Not much work and you wonder every day if you'll have a job at the end of the day
    - Top heavy management
    - Management is very unorganized
    - Engineers are expected to just focus on design and management won't even share budget or timelines with
      the engineer designing the project.
    - Not willing to spend the time to train new hires (it's sink or swim)

Actually listen to the "worker bee" employees on suggestions, train better, and don't let your ego or arrogance get in the way to manage employees in a proactive way.

Gender inequality

Current Employee - Plane Captain in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Plane Captain in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at URS Corporation, an AECOM company full-time

Pros

The pay is great for the area. People I work with come from all different walks of life and it’s a great melting pot of personalities.

Cons

Management is all male. I have had all of my qualifications within the first six months of working; some who have been working there for years still haven’t gotten the “required” qualifications for the job. I personally have been asked to fill in for supervisors often because of my dependability, qualifications and training. Females never get hired for the position of supervisor and never paid for the position even when filling in often. Females always seem to be over looked and management is hired by who you know and male status.

When surveys are handed out and you keep receiving the same data on hiring practices. Do not listen to the words of the front office, a firsthand look of credentials should be reviewed.

huge company, different experience for different positions

Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at URS Corporation, an AECOM company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

if you are in a non-support type position there is the opportunity to move up in the corporate structure

Cons

it is a giant corporation. If you've seen the movie "Brazil," you'll get a good idea of what it is like to work here.

I understand that profit is #1 but it doesn't also have to be #2-7. Try considering things like quality, customer satisfaction, employees, etc.

URS Corporation, an AECOM company Photos